Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you! Topic is solved

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Re: Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you!

Post by DaliborNovy »

There is one more workaround: https://www.tiktok.com/@pibby123/video/ ... 1337077035

But I don't know if it works now. I didn't try it, I don't need it. The https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress is better than the old tree. At least for me.

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

I have just tried it. It works! With one restriction: when switching to the old view I get a message that there is a time limit for it

switch back.PNG
switch back.PNG (12.87 KiB) Viewed 302869 times

There is not much time left.

Anyway, I carried out the changes on the PC and they propagated magically to my Android app too.

Many thanks!

cfh
United States of America

Post by cfh »

So far Duo hasn’t made me switch. I got a lot of pop-ups prompting me to update the app but I closed them without doing it. Today Duo tried to entice me with a notification: If only I’d upgrade, I could see my stats — in the top 2%. But I value the pleasure of learning the way I want to more than I value the report card. Plus the notification already gave me the top 2% kudos. Thanks to those of you who have the snake for showing me I don’t want it.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

PtolemysXX wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:14 pm

I have just tried it. It works! With one restriction: when switching to the old view I get a message that there is a time limit for it

Anyway, I carried out the changes on the PC and they propagated magically to my Android app too.

Many thanks!

I understand it differently - that you can switch back, not that you have to or that you will be switched back. Does it really mean it's over?

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

DaliborNovy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:09 pm

I understand it differently - that you can switch back, not that you have to or that you will be switched back. Does it really mean it's over?

My understanding of the message is the same as yours, I just can't believe it anymore. I am assuming the worst-case scenario.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]PtolemysXX[/mention] A assume it's without leagues, is it? And after the end of 2022, it won't be possible to switch back. But I believe many students don't mind at all :-) , right?

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

DaliborNovy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:58 pm

@Enzfj2 https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress is good for practicing a completed (or at least almost completed) course. You must have 3 or more crowns. Otherwise, you will end up on the "snake" page. The snake is usable for new courses. Thank Goodness, it can be bypassed - you can make the last checkpoint test on the snake (new path). Then you can take advantage of all the benefits on https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress .

What I complained about is that I stuck on German L3 and can't make any advance (not to mention that I lost about 50 crowns) — while the lessons on the snake are just up to L3, and not higher.
Despite the fact that I did the whole German tree to L3, the snake still shows 34 units to go. I guess it means that the snake has so much new content that it cannot be mapped onto the tree, and vice versa, some chunks of the tree are missing on the snake.
On the other hand, I did also French to L3 and Spanish to L4, and still have to go 14 and 3 units on the snake respectively. However, I can progress on both trees.

Besides, I did L0 to L2 lessons also from the tree, it gives this opportunity on the second try: first click brings you to the snake, but the second one on the tree opens the lesson.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]Enzfj2[/mention] When converting the tree to the snake, there is a "rounding". Newly more significantly downwards, different according to the complexity of the course. There is no new content in the snake. L0 to L2 tree - the behavior is time-variyng and unstable (when you're not in a class - Duolingo for schools). Field of my experience, it is reliable from L3 up (whole tree).

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

DaliborNovy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:53 am

There is no new content in the snake.

How can you be sure of it? Do you have inside information?
Then please explain how can it be that I have finished the Spanish tree fully to L4 and still have 3 units to go on the snake?

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

It's true I can only say this with certainty about courses English-Czech and Czech-English. Thanks to DuoBooster - no new sentence after repeatedly completed the whole snakes. But, what I know about Duolingo, the content is not related to the system, it's created independently by other local teams. And, new words can't be added to a finished course. What they mentioned as new content in the New Path advertising is supposed to be the vocabulary exercises. But they are absolutely useless after six months of study. Yet I believe we'll see a new content in the future.

Enzfj2 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:50 pm

Then please explain how can it be that I have finished the Spanish tree fully to L4 and still have 3 units to go on the snake?

It's because of the down "rounding" - To be sure the user wouldn't lose anything. It's a different course structure.

Last edited by DaliborNovy on Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

DaliborNovy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:28 am

@PtolemysXX A assume it's without leagues, is it? And after the end of 2022, it won't be possible to switch back. But I believe many students don't mind at all :-) , right?

The leagues are there, all features of the new app (Rev. 5.82.4) seem to be in place yet I have the old tree instead of one path. That is fantastic!

However, I lost a fair amount of crowns in the transition. There is a big gap between what the frozen internal duolingo shows me (these are the actual skills that I reached) and what the re-converted tree shows:

internal vs school.PNG
internal vs school.PNG (117.74 KiB) Viewed 302725 times

I believe that what I am getting from the "school" duolingo is a snapshot of my tree upon the first conversion to the path. Since then I kept progressing on internal duolingo but also made a couple of legendary skills on the new path. That must have confused the system completely. I understand that anything below level 3 is unstable and the "path" may take it away, but why did they rob me of the legendary crowns?

There is of course a bright side to it. Since I have mady some legendary levels three times already (internal duolingo first, then the path, then bringing the tree back to where it had been) there are quite a few sentences of this course that are literally burned into my long term memory ;)

Last edited by PtolemysXX on Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]PtolemysXX[/mention] That's perfect! 8-) I believe many students will be very happy. Losing progress - it doesn't matter. Believe me. After completing a course, it's necessary to practice for at least one more year. There is no need to rush to finish. Thank you very much for all the information for our community.

Yes, I agree, your explanation of the mess in the progress transformation is probably right. Additionally, there is now more rounding down in the tree-snake-tree transformation. I assume this is because the students had complained about losing some content during the transition.

Last edited by DaliborNovy on Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

Good news, guys! www-internal is back!

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]Enzfj2[/mention] YES! Then it's totally awesome!

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

DaliborNovy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:32 pm
Enzfj2 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:50 pm

It's because of the down "rounding" - To be sure the user wouldn't lose anything. It's a different course structure.

I don't know what you mean under "down rounding", because I really had lost a lot.
However, at the moment, when www-internal is back, it doesn't matter. Who knows for how long...

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Enzfj2 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:17 pm

Good news, guys! www-internal is back!

Thank you much for sharing this. !! I didn’t know. 🙂🙂

sandygaletoo
United States of America

Post by sandygaletoo »

Well, today it is all wack-a-doo. On the Web, the path looks the same as the app did yesterday. But today, in the IOS app, I have been knocked down to Unit 3. Whereas I was on Unit 26 - both named "Plan dinner, use complex verbs".

At first, I was devastated. But, with further exploration, it appears that the path has now been modified into Chapters/Sections, and I am in the 3rd Chapter/Section. The completed chapters have a review button, which when tapped, opens that section and one can select which lesson to start the review.

Here are the names, in the order listed on my phone:
Intro to German - 6/6 Units
German Foundations 1 - 17/17 Units
German Foundations 2 - 2/19 Units
German Foundations 3 - 35 Units
Intermediate German - 18 Units
Personalized Practice - 19 Units

There is a 'Jump Here' button on each of the chapters/sections which have not yet been started, (not sure what the 'official' name for them will be).

Also, cannot use my progress page to do the previous, before The Path, lessons. :-/

sandygaletoo
Native: :us:
Learning: :de: :fr:

unterhausen
Andorra

Post by unterhausen »

Now that they reorganized the courses, is like learning a different language to go back and practice? Or can you switch some other way?

sandygaletoo
United States of America

Post by sandygaletoo »

unterhausen wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:00 pm

Now that they reorganized the courses, is like learning a different language to go back and practice? Or can you switch some other way?

I am not sure, still testing this new organisation.

I have noticed that in the app, the Today's Review, which is called Unit Rewind, refers to a review of Unit 24. This makes no sense, since each new section restarts the numbering with #1. But, there was a Unit 24 before this reorganization.
So, I did the review. Guess what the topics were? the same ones that I have been presented with since the path began for me. The same ones I am doing now - present tense packing & shopping for a vacation to Mallorca ...

sandygaletoo
Native: :us:
Learning: :de: :fr:

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

btw I just updated the app on my tablet to the latest version (5.85.4) and it apparently still has the old tree 😱 even tho I have the exact same version on the phone and it's the snake there

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Something kind of interesting. I clicked on go back to the old layout in schools today. It was still available! Amazing! Maybe the owl is on holiday?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

PtolemysXX wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:14 pm

old-school-Bring-Back-Old-Duolingo-UI.jpg
old-school-Bring-Back-Old-Duolingo-UI.jpg (20.13 KiB) Viewed 302016 times

Many thanks!

Something bad happened today. My Duolingo Android app restarted itself and brought me back to the snake. I checked the duolingo for school settings -> the option to change the layout is gone. Checked the web version on the PC -> it still shows the old tree.

Anyway, I uninstalled the Android Duolingo app I had on my phone (5.82.4) and installed version 5.68.4 from August 9 (just for the sake of trying). The old tree is back again. I hope it stays like that...

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

Bad news part two. My web version on the PC also changed to one path overnight after having gone through a set of convulsions (adding three new skills to my EN->IT tree, deducting 10 legendary crowns, making some legendary levels consist of 6 tests). duome / progress + tree appear to work correctly though and so far reflect the progress i make on the old Android app.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

PtolemysXX wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:20 pm

Anyway, I uninstalled the Android Duolingo app I had on my phone (5.82.4) and installed version 5.68.4 from August 9 (just for the sake of trying). The old tree is back again. I hope it stays like that...

I'm working on Android version 5.66.5 from August 1 (that was the last time I updated), and I'm still clinging onto the tree.

What worries me is that when I occasionally log into the browser version, which has been showing me the snake for a while now, I do not see any progress on the snake - my "start" position is exactly the same as two months ago, so my current progress on the tree is not being reflected on the snake... :?

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Finally, staff has done it:
"Old tree design" flag is gone in the school classroom, as mentioned here.
Couldn't find the special classroom setting and old design flag anymore.
This means the Web portal has finally forced me into the new path/snake today.

The old checkpoint links in a tree (for each section #1-6 or #7) are not working anymore, sadly to say.
Example for the DE (from EN) course: https://www.duolingo.com/checkpoint/de/0/bigtest

Duolingo's website now only redirects to the /learn page and new path but ignores the old valid tree URLs.

Now I can't help anymore with reporting missing alternative answers encountered in checkpoints or skill test outs.
Guess they don't really care for QC...
The very last (2022) chance to get one more German (tree) owl and maybe be listed here https://duome.eu/golden (for crown level 1) is gone.

But I explained it in this thread "Duolingo Is Ignoring the Reports About the Mistakes" why I had some trouble with that new CEFR German reverse tree: viewtopic.php?p=39778#p39778

Should have completed those middle section checkpoints faster but failed several times.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

I also got the "snake" in all my courses and classrooms in Duolingo Schools today. :-( I contacted the Duolingo Schools Support and immediately received the reply copied below. No further discussion was possible, they obviously believe that they do the right thing and we have to be grateful for that. :-(

Sarah C. (Duolingo for Schools)

Jan 4, 2023, 10:02 AM EST

Hi Gentianopsis,

Thanks for contacting Duolingo for Schools Support.

The previous versions of Duolingo and Duolingo for Schools have been permanently discontinued on January 3.

In the new version of Duolingo, we are exploring a new way of learning with a linear path. This redesign addresses a few common learner pain points. These improvements include:

• Providing a clear pathway to learning
  • Integrating beloved features directly into the learning path (Stories! Practice!)
  • Organizing the content so you can celebrate/achieve meaningful milestones
  • Helpful and findable guidebooks through the path that you can access for certain courses

Your students’ new path was crafted by learning experts to better guide them step by step so they’ll see the right lesson at just the right time. Don’t worry — they haven’t lost any of the progress they’ve made so far! You can learn more about the new version of Duolingo in the links below:

The new version of Duolingo for Schools addresses common requests made by our teachers, such as the ability of seeing their students’ overall progress on their courses and creating recurring assignments.

If you’re worried about losing the ability of assigning specific lessons or Stories to your students, we have good news for you! We’re currently hard at work creating a new feature which will allow teachers to pick specific content for assignments, and allow students to see these assignments highlighted on their learning path. This feature will be released very soon, we’re just adding the final touches to it!

For more information on the new version of Duolingo for Schools, check out the links below:

Thanks for teaching with us!

Kind Regards,
Sarah C.
Duolingo for Schools Team

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

After receiving the "snake" at Duolingo Schools without any option to change it back, I tried https://www-internal.duolingo.com/learn and https://www-internal.duolingo.com/stories (there are even new stories in English from Russian course) and both of these addresses are fully functional except for Duolingo Shop - you can access you profile, change your settings, and access Duolingo Schools without any problem. You see your progress on the page, XP and crown counts increase both on internal-duolingo and on Duome. All your activities on internal-duolingo are listed on the Classroom page too, your XP's and time spent are recorded, but nothing of that counts for the assignments - they keep the numbers from before the "snake", regardless it is written right below that you already got sufficient amount of XP's or finished particular skill. And of course, nothing has changed about not synchronizing internal-duolingo with the "snake". Fortunately, Duome shows all your progress perfectly.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Gentianopsis[/mention] Good to know Duolingo is working a feature which you can use to assign specific lessons.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

Stasia wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:25 pm

What worries me is that when I occasionally log into the browser version, which has been showing me the snake for a while now, I do not see any progress on the snake - my "start" position is exactly the same as two months ago, so my current progress on the tree is not being reflected on the snake... :?

I first got the snake on the website, but still had the tree on the app. It also took months for me for the snake to update. Eventually it did, and things synced normally. So hopefully yours will sync soon also. 🤷‍♀️

I’ve also been wondering, who coined the term “snake” for the new update? It’s a good fit. :)

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I’ve also been wondering, who coined the term “snake” for the new update?

[mention]Jacko079[/mention] I believe it was [mention]Gentianopsis[/mention] who did.

Return to “Duolingo”