Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Doulingo discontinues the events

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

EranBarLev
Israel

Doulingo discontinues the events

Post by EranBarLev »

Duo has just announced that events will be discontinued on January 18th.

https://support.duolingo.com/hc/en-us/a ... 0028362991

I started attending DL events back in February, and they were very instrumental in becoming conversational, almost fluent even. Duo seems to be determined to remove every content that can actually help learners.

Well, it was good while it lasted. :cry:

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Re: Doulingo discontinues the events

Post by trackerwannabe »

Another in a series of disappointing choices made by DUOL. (And thanks for letting us know about it. Somehow, I mssed it.)

Still, I'm grateful for how this community responded to the discontinuation of the Duo fora. This forum, here, is stupendous!!

fremanolas

Post by fremanolas »

Sad. :cry:

What alternatives are out there?
I know there are sites like tandem and language exchange out there but that's all I know about them.

Other alternatives?
And which of them are good?
Anything similar to Duolingo classes/events?

EN :de: :netherlands: :sweden: :es: :fr: :norway: :taiwan:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

We've got mchat here. It's often empty but sometimes you can practice something. Still that is written and not oral practice. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

One host already announced that her events will continue on Eventbrite.
Another host is considering moving his events to Meetup.
I'm not sure yet how these sites work.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

SansEspoir
Norway

Post by SansEspoir »

fremanolas wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:46 pm

Sad. :cry:

What alternatives are out there?
I know there are sites like tandem and language exchange out there but that's all I know about them.

Other alternatives?
And which of them are good?
Anything similar to Duolingo classes/events?

I'm on Tandem, and there's really not much learning happening there. Most seem to use it like Tinder.
It might have to do with my target language (italian), but the few who actually mentions they want to help me learn then demand that I'm able to videocall when it suits them, and when I'm not available or willing, because I prefer texting, they get offended. When I then mention my profile clearly states my preference is texting, they get even more offended, because how dare I ask them to read a profile text in english before messaging me? :roll:

DuoMe Profile Learning 🇮🇹/Image + 🇩🇪, with the most focus on 🇮🇹 for now.
Working on repairing the 🇸🇪 🇩🇰 Legendaries after the 2023 updates, but refusing to pay for the snake makes it hard :mrgreen: as long as a kind soul keeps me in their family plan Image. 🇳🇴 Legendary is finally completed again.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

You could take a look at ChatterBug.

They offer teacher guided 1-on-1 lessons for different monthly budgets with a concrete lesson / exercise plan on the Web with the help of visual exercises (leason cirriculum).

So it's more like "guided speaking", not free speaking like iTalki or Duolingo Events.

Busuu classes (Web) also get discontinued in mid January 2023.

So if you have some real language learning/practice budget, you may want to take a look at ChatterBug.
The Android app "Streams" from ChatterBug is free to watch recorded videos.
Members on a monthly plan can participate in group clubs on the Android app. A defined topic is given; but I haven't tried.l it myself. Only have the free version.

If you're a true beginner it probably makes more sense not to take part at group exercises which require some conversational skills.

I guess one teacher can manage to better get you speaking if you're alone in the session.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Return to “Duolingo”