Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Escape the Snake!

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

blueandnerdy

Escape the Snake!

Post by blueandnerdy »

I have a 2500+ day streak and I would rather lose it than use this new update. I was using the www-internal.duolingo.com workaround until yesterday when it finally broke yesterday and would no longer link to lessons.

Old versions of the app save XP but not progress within the tree. (And, weird bug: if your goal is set higher than a single lesson, it will mark your streak completed without actually incrementing it unless you get your full goal; like how streaks used to work.)

The one thing that still DOES work: https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress shows the old tree and links to a magical place on Duolingo where the lesson URLs still function. XP still counts and the progress in the tree is still saved.

Just wanted to signal boost what I found by digging through comments and thank everyone on this site for their hard work! (I've been checking it periodically since the Streak Hall of Fame moved from the old forums...)

Willardsdaughter
United States of America

Re: Escape the Snake!

Post by Willardsdaughter »

:cry: I hate the Snake. I also hate the AI voices and had to stop using Duolingo altogether when they appeared in Japanese. Thank you so much for this link. I was so sad when the former internal link broke, I just discovered it today. I do so much better with the tree, having several circles going at once. As soon as I got back to the tree I was reminded of three or four vocabulary words that hadn't come up in the snaky review since the snake came about.
I just wonder if Duolingo really cares about its users. The forums are gone. Who are they listening to? They had the best language learning tool imaginable, at least for me, and now they are busy "making it better." Are they at all open to hearing that it's decidedly not "better?" It's so discouraging. I learn better with Duolingo than I do any other way, and I've been to two different langauge schools. I'm very disheartened this evening . . .

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Willardsdaughter[/mention] Remember you are welcome here to discuss your learning journey and also to find fellow users who also must grapple with the snake. I hope you find solace in this place and I hope Duome will continue for as long as needed to fill in those gaps in Duolingo's learning style that we need. I hope you will take heart with that thought, transitory as our world is.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Willardsdaughter wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:55 am

I also hate the AI voices and had to stop using Duolingo altogether when they appeared in Japanese.

And so did quite a large number of adult students, me included. I don't think any of the other courses received as many complaints as the Japanese one: the voices were truly unbearable, in pitch and in volume.

I just wonder if Duolingo really cares about its users. [...] Who are they listening to?

No, they don't, just as any of the big players: YT, FB, MS, etc. I guess DL just listens to their so called learning experts, who seem to be anything but.

The forums are gone.

And that's only one of the many tools they have taken out. Anyone that has been here for the last six or seven years can remember and confirm how different the environment was back then: chat system, flashcards, dictionary, timed-exercises, etc.

They had the best language learning tool imaginable, at least for me, and now they are busy "making it better." Are they at all open to hearing that it's decidedly not "better?" It's so discouraging. I learn better with Duolingo than I do any other way, and I've been to two different langauge schools. I'm very disheartened this evening . . .

Duolingo, by itself, doesn't allow anyone to get beyond an A2 CEFR level —even more now that they closed their forums.

For an app to be a learning app would have to teach, something DL doesn't do. What it does is just to present pairs of sentences for one to repeat; that's it.

Given the way it works (entertaining and addictive) and when a comparison is made between the time invested and the results obtained, it has been said that using only DL is actually detrimental to one's language learning. By making users get a feeling of achievement through their many "awards" and "motivations", DL is only a make-believe system.

As often happens in this world, they only focus on the appearance and not the content (which was outsourced). If all the money, time and effort they have put into breaking the learning environment to then spend loads more to make it look as a fun and committed to the woke ideology site had actually been used to fix the many absurd examples, translations and errors, to add real value content like more translating options and simple to understand grammar, and to give users real customization options so everyone can use the system as they see fit, well, they could then maybe say they are a language learning site, but since that is not going to happen ever, DL is just a virtual drug when used only by itself.

:hash:  ㆍenglish ㆍgeneral ㆍduolingo

Last edited by gmads on Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

gmads wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:00 pm

I don't think any of the other courses received as many complaints as the Japanese one: the voices were truly unbearable, in pitch and in volume.

I wish it was just that. The problem is that Japanese characters have different readings, onyomi and kunyomi, depending on the context. Unfortunately Duolingo doesn't seem to know which one to use in each specific situation. And as a result of that, the pronunciation of the words is often wrong.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

SansEspoir
Norway

Post by SansEspoir »

So we're able to do lessons the oldfashioned way via "progress" here on duome? Including making them legendary?

DuoMe Profile Learning 🇮🇹/Image + 🇩🇪, with the most focus on 🇮🇹 for now.
Working on repairing the 🇳🇴 🇸🇪 🇩🇰 Legendaries after the 2023 updates, but not sure how to complete it all since I'm out of gems due to refusing to pay for the Snake :mrgreen: as long as a kind soul keeps me in their family plan Image

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:39 pm

I don't think any of the other courses received as many complaints as the Japanese one: the voices were truly unbearable, in pitch and in volume.

I wish it was just that. The problem is that Japanese characters have different readings, onyomi and kunyomi, depending on the context. Unfortunately Duolingo doesn't seem to know which one to use in each specific situation. And as a result of that, the pronunciation of the words is often wrong.

Well, yes, you are right, but that would only be noticed to someone either with some previous knowledge about Japanese or in a level a little beyond basic, whereas the voices are something that can be immediately noticed, and that people complained the most.

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Birds of a feather flock together, says the saying.

It would be quite interesting to have all DL users world-wide participate in a poll to know their thinking about the system. I believe that a great majority would answer something in the line of "I don't care much, I just use it," followed by a big number of users that actually like the new version —for one reason or another—, leaving then a minority of dissatisfied users.

Antinomy - Imagination

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]SansEspoir[/mention] At present I am able to do that. Just use the tree tab, the skills tab doesn't work anymore because internal.duolingo doesn't work anymore.

[mention]gmads[/mention] You could try a poll on Duome if you want.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

SansEspoir
Norway

Post by SansEspoir »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:07 pm

@SansEspoir At present I am able to do that. Just use the tree tab, the skills tab doesn't work anymore because internal.duolingo doesn't work anymore.

Ooh cool. Hopefully that will make me able to finish the tree like normal then

Working on repairing the 🇳🇴 🇸🇪 🇩🇰 Legendaries after the 2023 updates, but not sure how to complete it all since I'm out of gems due to refusing to pay for the Snake :mrgreen: as long as a kind soul keeps me in their family plan Image

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]SansEspoir[/mention] Let me know if it works for you!

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:08 pm

@gmads You could try a poll on Duome if you want.

The whole Duome or the Duome forums? The latter would be too small a sample, I think.

Antinomy - Imagination

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]gmads[/mention] Just Duome forums. When you start a topic, you'll find the ability to create a poll at the bottom of the page next to the attachments tab. There's not that many people here, but I see new heads pop up all the time and I also notice quite a few guests around these days! :)

SansEspoir
Norway

Post by SansEspoir »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:18 am

@SansEspoir Let me know if it works for you!

Seems like it did, thanks :D
I just made another skill legendary on the DuoMe Progress page, but like other people say, it doesn't seem to have any impact on the snake. I didn't get that normal "congrats this skill is legendary" screen either. But that's okay, as long as I can finish the trees the old way.

Izabela

Post by Izabela »

and this morning I've woken up to the horror that I can no longer do the tree anymore

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Izabela wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:55 am

and this morning I've woken up to the horror that I can no longer do the tree anymore

You may try via: https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress

Antinomy - Imagination

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

gmads wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:33 pm

Birds of a feather flock together, says the saying.

It would be quite interesting to have all DL users world-wide participate in a poll to know their thinking about the system. I believe that a great majority would answer something in the line of "I don't care much, I just use it," followed by a big number of users that actually like the new version —for one reason or another—, leaving then a minority of dissatisfied users.

Wise words. I fear that you are fully right with your assessment. The "birds of a feather" can attempt to make some noise but it seems that it may be safely ignored by the culprit.

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

Good news, guys! www-internal is back!

TheChronotope
Great Britain

Post by TheChronotope »

Enzfj2 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:26 pm

Good news, guys! www-internal is back!

Thank you! It just put me in such a good mood, even as I acknowledge that it can easily go away again.

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

A link for others to try. www-internal.duolingo.com

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

I also hate the AI voices and had to stop using Duolingo altogether when they appeared in Japanese.

I have been using Busuu for French for one year:
viewtopic.php?p=36982-language-app-benchmarks#p36982
viewtopic.php?p=39435-language-app-benchmarks#p39435

The JP courses look great (wanted first to say "sick" for using as extensive - can I??) too.

• First "A1" course (obviously they took that CEFR grouping over from English and European languages - of course they don't follow JLPT): 154 lessons + 15 Review
  • Second A2 course: 154 lessons + 17 Review
  • Some more B1 and B2 lesson content.

AFAIK they're constantly working on the JP courses for restructerings and extension.
See the Google Play store reviews.

For French often English translations were missing, but there's an translator app available on Android to read out full sentences (compatible with Accessibility) if that is the case.
Thankfully the Android TTS engines are very nice, you can control the speed and no high pitched screams.

For those few sentences with missing French audio I regularly made use of Android's native "Select to Speak" TTS Accessibility feature so I restarted the course more than once.
Works pretty good on the Busuu Android app.

Summary:
One resting year of no comic characters, no animations, no fake cartoon AI voices

(which honestly aren't THAT bad on our Duolingo Brazilian Portuguese course as Junior is only a mild version; English is way more nerve-racking; never heard good things about more heavy Spanish or French voice versions where at least 2+ are not usuable; new voices from PT stories like Junior or Lilly go much more onto my nerves, at least 2-3: Overacting, squeaking, shrill high, overplayed).

I saw the complaints on the Duolingo community JP sub forum before in January-March 2022, probably also sporadically in 2021 when they got first introduced.
So I'm not surprised that you guys had to stop using JP all together on Duolingo if anything gets close to other languages and new bad AI voices.

As I said, I only have the milder TTS versions in the Brazilian Portuguese course so my ears don't hurt that much and my brain is not behaving like it would be on an electric shock.

BUT: The Pt-Br rules are often wrong.
So the new AI voices mispronounce words in sentences, drop end consonants (like French is regularly doing it) which will just very confuse a PT beginner.
So far the TTS voice errors have not been fixed. I see them more often on Duolingo here and there.

If you don't like Busuu, at least pay for LingoDeer and LingoDeer Plus.
AFAIK they are leading in Asian languages.

Or try the LingoLegend game.
Again, only using it for French, but I see many gamers in the two Adventure places with Japanese, Chinese Mandarin or Korean languages added in their profile.

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

The AI voice I dislike the most is the shouty child voice in Spanish. Why does it have to shout?

Some of the other voices in Spanish and French just sound like they are so bored.

I have no real complaints about the Hebrew, Arabic, and Haitian Creole voices.

I’ll have to take a look at LingoDeer. That’s one I haven’t looked at yet.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]JudieLC[/mention] Hebrew has real native speakers. Not AI.

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:11 am

@JudieLC Hebrew has real native speakers. Not AI.

Haitian Creole sounds like native speakers, too. At least, it sounds like Haitian people I’ve known.

unEssential

Post by unEssential »

I FOUND A WAY TO USE WWW-INTERNAL!

This uses Firefox, I don't know if there's an equivalent method for Chrome or other browsers.

Open the developer's console with the f12 key. Go to the network tab, and log into Duolingo as normal. You'll see an entry at the top of the list for www.duolingo.com/learn. Right click it and select "Block URL". Now you can go to www-internal as normal and it'll load normally without redirecting you!

RickyYC

Post by RickyYC »

unEssential wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:11 am

This uses Firefox, I don't know if there's an equivalent method for Chrome or other browsers.

Open the developer's console with the f12 key. Go to the network tab, and log into Duolingo as normal. You'll see an entry at the top of the list for www.duolingo.com/learn. Right click it and select "Block URL". Now you can go to www-internal as normal and it'll load normally without redirecting you!

Godly it helps! I blocked the "https://www.duolingo.com/" instead of yours. I'm doubt if we can download the webpages for further usages. :)

RickyYC

Post by RickyYC »

And so did quite a large number of adult students, me included. I don't think any of the other courses received as many complaints as the Japanese one: the voices were truly unbearable, in pitch and in volume.

I just wonder if Duolingo really cares about its users. [...] Who are they listening to?

No, they don't, just as any of the big players: YT, FB, MS, etc. I guess DL just listens to their so called learning experts, who seem to be anything but.

The forums are gone.

And that's only one of the many tools they have taken out. Anyone that has been here for the last six or seven years can remember and confirm how different the environment was back then: chat system, flashcards, dictionary, timed-exercises, etc.

They had the best language learning tool imaginable, at least for me, and now they are busy "making it better." Are they at all open to hearing that it's decidedly not "better?" It's so discouraging. I learn better with Duolingo than I do any other way, and I've been to two different langauge schools. I'm very disheartened this evening . . .

Duolingo, by itself, doesn't allow anyone to get beyond an A2 CEFR level —even more now that they closed their forums.

For an app to be a learning app would have to teach, something DL doesn't do. What it does is just to present pairs of sentences for one to repeat; that's it.

Given the way it works (entertaining and addictive) and when a comparison is made between the time invested and the results obtained, it has been said that using only DL is actually detrimental to one's language learning. By making users get a feeling of achievement through their many "awards" and "motivations", DL is only a make-believe system.

As often happens in this world, they only focus on the appearance and not the content (which was outsourced). If all the money, time and effort they have put into breaking the learning environment to then spend loads more to make it look as a fun and committed to the woke ideology site had actually been used to fix the many absurd examples, translations and errors, to add real value content like more translating options and simple to understand grammar, and to give users real customization options so everyone can use the system as they see fit, well, they could then maybe say they are a language learning site, but since that is not going to happen ever, DL is just a virtual drug when used only by itself.

The "School for Duolingo" shows that their French (EN) courses have the ability to teach the CEFR B2 level lessons. Is that true? :|

SansEspoir
Norway

Post by SansEspoir »

unEssential wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:11 am

Unfortunately when I click F12, all that happens is that my computer goes to Flight Mode. And manually opening that, doesn't show the /learn thingy. So do I then have to block the main duolingo website itself?

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

Unfortunately when I click F12, all that happens is that my computer goes to Flight Mode. And manually opening that, doesn't show the /learn thingy. So do I then have to block the main duolingo website itself?

Try [Fn] + [F12]

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

RickyYC wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:51 am

The "School for Duolingo" shows that their French (EN) courses have the ability to teach the CEFR B2 level lessons. Is that true? :|

Old tree was A2 end of section #5.
B1 was sections #6-9.
B2 content was only filtered for section #10.

New path/snake gets Units 157-199 marked as B2 (stable).
Obviously this doesn't directly map to the old tree (for those available section #10 B2 skills) and shown school classroom grouping.

A newer French tree with 209 Units also exists: https://ardslot.com/duolingodata.html

Spanish course got extended to 207 (stable)/211/220 Units.

So yes, some B2 content might be available.
That doesn't mean your A) speaking skills, B) listening skills or C) writing skills are on the same level than what you've learned before
(word bank tapping or multiple-choice questions is the least effective method to test one's true RECALLING capabilities in the target language and how your actual accuracy percentage rate is).
So you'll definitely need extra practice, outside of the Duolingo realm.

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Return to “Duolingo”