Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] Bairisch, Schwäbisch, and Plattdüütsch oh my!

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, Cifi

Corinnebelle

[ARCHIVE] Bairisch, Schwäbisch, and Plattdüütsch oh my!

Post by Corinnebelle »

deactivated user wrote

I know it's always best to speak Hochdeutsch, but I just can't help myself from wanting to learn a little more about the different German dialects. In particular Bairisch because my German teacher was from Bayern and I've been wanting to learn some of her dialect since forever. Anyways, I wanted to point everyone who is interested in learning a little dialect to this Memrise list which is under Small German Dialects:
http://www.memrise.com/courses/english/ ... -dialects/
Many of you may have already seen it, but I wanted to share since I had no idea about it and maybe it can help others. Also, there are some Swiss German lists as well under a seperate tab. Just in case anyone is interested :D

Archive of comments

If you don't want your post on here, please let me know.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Chrisinom
Germany

Re: [ARCHIVE] Bairisch, Schwäbisch, and Plattdüütsch oh my!

Post by Chrisinom »

First of all, from a linguistic point of view, Bairisch, Schwäbisch and Schwitzerdütsch are High German (hochdeutsche) dialects. What is generally called Hochdeutsch is, again from a linguistic point of view, deutsche Hochsprache, which developed out of Southern German dialects (spoken by the medieval poets) and Middle German dialects (Sachsen, Thüringen, Sachsen-Anhalt), the language spoken by Martin Luther whose translation of the Bible played a major role in establishing a standard German language.
Talking about the varieties of the Bavarian dialect (which includes Austrian and South Tyrolean German): Here is an article about Bavarian songwriters and songs: https://www.schlagerplanet.com/news/cds ... en-mundart

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Don't the Amish speak some form of Plattdüütsch?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

fremanolas

Post by fremanolas »

No, it is a variety of Palatine German language, which is closer to standard high German than to Plattdüütsch.

EN :de: :netherlands: :sweden: :es: :fr: :norway: :taiwan:

Chrisinom
Germany

Post by Chrisinom »

Pennsylvania Dutch dialects in general are varieties of Palatine, Baden, Swiss German and Alsacian (Alsace is a region in eastern France along the upper Rhine) dialects. A typical Amish sentence is "Mer schwetze noch die Muddersprooch" (We still speak our mother tongue). "Schwätzen" (in standard German to cackle, gabble, twaddle) is used instead of "sprechen" (to speak) in those dialects. I myself (I'm from the southwest of Germany) understand Pennsylvania Dutch much better than Platt. By the way, the correct standard pronunciation is spoken in the north of Germany (at Hannover), simply because the Plattdüütsch language is not understood in the High German and Middle German regions of Germany.

Return to “Language”