Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Food confusions - not all food names translate well

David-Herron
United States of America

Food confusions - not all food names translate well

Post by David-Herron »

Placinta

Duolingo translates placinta as pie. But, American-style pie (9 inch round pan about 1-2 inches deep and sloping sides) is nothing like Romanian placinta.

For an example, there is a restaurant in Romania, La Placinte, which offers traditional Romanian food. The relevant page from their menu (for placinta) is:

https://laplacinte.ro/ro/pages/menu/13/

Clatita

Duolingo translates clatita as pancake but this too is completely unlike the real thing. Instead, what Romanians call clatita is essentially identical to what French call crepe. Here's a couple videos that describes how to make clatite. One interesting thing is they tend to use fizzy water because that's supposed to make them puffier (pufoase).

Corinnebelle

Re: Food confusions - not all food names translate well

Post by Corinnebelle »

Wiki says placinta is a flat cake.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

01tmJ8kb

Post by 01tmJ8kb »

David-Herron wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:38 am

Duolingo translates clatita as pancake but this too is completely unlike the real thing.

It depends what you mean by "the real thing". An American pancake is not the same as an English pancake, and clatita looks to me like an English pancake.

:gb: N :de: A1 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 A1 :fr: A1

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

What I can't get my head around is the etymology of the word clătită

According to wiktionary, it is... "From clăti("to rinse"), initially as an adjective in the phrase plăcintă clătită ("rinsed pie"). "

Rinsed? In what sense "rinsed"?

I notice the wiktionary entry for clăti has just the single meaning "to rinse"....but it does have a link to the derived term clătina, meaning "to sway, rock, stagger, shake, move to and fro", and that ties in more with koltiti ("to shake, to strike") - a given Proto-Slavic predecessor of clăti...

The "to shake" meaning of that derived term clătina makes more sense to me, as it could refer to whisking the batter up...but I still don't understand why clăti, apparently sat there between koltiti and clătina in time, just means "to rinse", or what a "rinsed" pie is. :|

Last edited by Davey944676 on Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

[mention]01tmJ8kb[/mention] I have to brag that I ate American pancakes.

They are delicious topped with honey or maple syrup! 🙂

Classic American Pancakes

in Polish:
Są pyszne, palce lizać! hehe :P

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

[mention]Dana_Dany Danuta[/mention] and [mention]01tmJ8kb[/mention] ....Yes, American pancakes are delicious. One year, when I was a little boy, my family drove to the countryside (in the U.K.) where we usually spent our holidays.

On the way we parked at a roadside diner and I had American pancakes with ice cream and maple syrup....I was rapturous! I had never tasted anything so delicious!

I literally waited impatiently, for the whole of the next year, to eat those pancakes again....but a year later, unfortunately, the diner no longer sold American pancakes. I was heartbroken... :cry:

p.s. I like this phrase "palce lizać" (to lick fingers). It is just like the English phrase "finger-licking good"! :P

i po polsku...

Tak, amerykańskie naleśniki są pyszne. Pewnego roku, kiedy byłem małym chłopcem, moja rodzina pojechała na wieś (w Wielkiej Brytanii), gdzie zwykle spędzaliśmy wakacje.

Po drodze zaparkowaliśmy przy przydrożnej jadłodajni i zjadłem amerykańskie naleśniki z lodami i syropem klonowym...Byłem zachwycony! Nigdy nie próbowałem czegoś tak pysznego!

Dosłownie niecierpliwie czekałam na ponowne zjedzenie tamtych naleśników, przez cały następny rok..... ale rok później niestety jadłodajnia nie sprzedawała już amerykańskich naleśników. Miałem złamane serce.... :cry:

p.s. Podoba mi się to wyrażenie "palce lizać". To tak jak w angielskim wyrażeniu "finger-licking good”! :P

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I love my pancakes with strawberry or raspberry jam.

Pictures look so delicious.

I love sausages with sauerkraut! 🙂

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

[mention]Davey944676[/mention] .... muszę przyznać, że bardzo ładnie piszesz po polsku! ;)

Teraz, to możesz sobie usmażyć te amerykańskie naleśniki i zjeść do woli! ( odbić sobie zachcianki z dzieciństwa ), a potem "palce lizać"! lub "finger-licking good”! ( też mi się podoba!) :P

..... możemy jeszcze poszerzyć nasze wiadomości o naleśnikach z różnych stron świata:

Pancake
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancake

Życzę smacznych naleśników! 😜

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

[mention]Meli578588[/mention], powiem Ci, że polskie naleśniki lubię z twarogiem, czyli białym serem lub ze szpinakiem.

Uwielbiam krokiety wigilijne z kapustą i grzybami, które zawija się właśnie w naleśniki. Mniam, mniam, pycha! 😋

.... a do tych krokietów idealnie pasuje czysty, czerwony barszczyk!

Meli, let me tell you that I like Polish pancakes with cottage cheese or spinach.

I love Christmas Eve croquettes with cabbage and mushrooms, which are wrapped in pancakes. :)

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

[mention]Meli578588[/mention],

Tak, to jest właśnie ten barszcz z czerwonych buraczków! Mówi się, że jest czysty, bo nie przyprawia się go śmietaną.

Do takiego wigilijnego barszczu muszą być uszka z grzybami, fasolka, pierogi z kapustą i grzybami!

Yes, this is the red beetroot borscht! It is said to be pure because it is not seasoned with saur cream.

Such Christmas borscht must be accompanied by little ears - uszka with mushrooms, beans, dumplings
with cabbage and mushrooms!

Święta Bożego Narodzenia to jeden z najbardziej wyczekiwanych momentów w ciągu roku.
Wiążą się one nie tylko z przystrajaniem 🎄 choinki, spotkaniami z rodziną przy świątecznym stole, kolędami i dzieleniem się opłatkiem.

Kolacja wigilijna i bożonarodzeniowy obiad to także mnóstwo przygotowań, w czasie których bardzo często ważne jest podtrzymanie tradycji i powrót do dobrze znanych przepisów.

🌟 To są moje najukochańsze święta! 🌟 :)

Last edited by Dana_Dany Danuta on Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Meli578588[/mention] If you like Polish food, how about pierogi?

![](https://imagesvc.meredithcorp.io/v3/mm/ ... k=P3b4DwPh)

Stuffed pasta dumplings. Potato is often the stuffing or spinach. I'm sure the Polish people can tell you more about them than me.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Meli578588[/mention] Steamed buns! Mmm!

Return to “Romanian”