Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Truskawka na torcie

Destal
France

Truskawka na torcie

Post by Destal »

Hej,

I heard this expression in a video and searched it on Google, thinking it meant "cherry on top", but all I can find is articles with a guy named Tomasz Hajto. Did he make up this expression and what does it mean?

Thanks

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Re: Truskawka na torcie

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hi, [mention]Destal[/mention]!

Yes, it was T. Hajta who invented this expression! :)

The phrase created by Tomasz Hajta is something that is an addition to the pre-existing thing, the assessed good, and makes it even better, like a strawberry on a cake.
Tomasz Hajto is a former Polish representative and legend of Schalke 04 Gelsenkirchen.
He also tried his strength on the coaching bench as a trainer, but he was far from successful.
Hajto works much better as a football expert.
For years, he commentated Bundesliga matches on Eurosport. His funny statements, later repeated by the fans, are called "hajtki".

.... and this is one of them:

"Zieliński's assistance is a strawberry on the cake" - this is probably the most famous of Hajta's sayings, which became a hit. It was said during the match between Poland and Montenegro.

I'm glad you're learning Polish, good luck! 🙂

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Hi, [mention]Destal[/mention] ,

Torcie is the locative form of the Polish word "tort", meaning a type of cake. So it iliterally means a srrawberry on a cake.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tort#Polish

You don't say how far along you are with Polish, so forgive me if you already knew that! I was looking it up already myself to check something. :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Destal
France

Post by Destal »

Hello, and thanks for the details [mention]Dana_Dany Danuta[/mention], that is very interesting! Is there a similar expression that already existed before Hajto's?

Hi [mention]Davey944676[/mention], I already knew "torcie" is locative for "tort", especially in this sentence where it is quite obvious that it is "na + Locative", but sometimes it is not that obvious so thanks anyway! I'm learning Polish for 5 years with a private teacher.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Witam [mention]Destal[/mention] i myślę, że już czas na praktykę! hehe :)

Tak istnieje i istniało już wcześniej przed powiedzeniem Tomasza Hajto ( Truskawka na torcie) - jest to: "Wisienka na torcie"

🍰 Tort, jak wiemy jest przysmakiem samym w sobie, a ozdobiony jakimś pomysłowym dodatkiem, czyni go jeszcze lepszym i piękniejszym! 🫐

Zwykle cukiernicy ozdabiają torty lukrowaną wiśnią 🍒 z ogonkiem, która – umieszczona centralnie – „góruje” nad wypiekiem i sprawia, że odbieramy go jako wyjątkowy, wspaniały. Zapewne istnieją torty ozdabiane 🍓 truskawką, a niewątpliwie też i innymi owocami – możemy sobie tu wyobrazić w zasadzie każdą ozdobę.

Jednak we frazeologii utrwaliła się tylko 🍒 wisienka 🍒 i to właśnie w takiej, zdrobniałej postaci (nie: wiśnia).

"Jeśli więc mówimy o czymś, co jest dodatkiem do czegoś dobrego, i sprawia, że jest to jeszcze lepsze, to używamy wyrażenia wisienka na torcie"

Przykłady użycia określenia wisienka na torcie

1 – Gotowa już jesteś do wyjścia?
– Jeszcze tylko perfumy. To moja wisienka na torcie.

2 – Ten nowy kominek jest boski.
– Zgadzam się. To taka wisienka na torcie naszego salonu.

3 – W końcu dostałem nową pracę, a służbowy samochód to jak wisienka na torcie!

.... życzę miłej nauki .. 🙂

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Return to “Language”