Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

I am your father (20 different versions)

Explorer
Portugal

I am your father (20 different versions)

Post by Explorer »

Favorite: German
Funniest: Hebrew (Chinese merits a special mention too)
Scariest: Jisieno (I didn't even know this language existed)

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

John Little
Brazil

Re: I am your father (20 different versions)

Post by John Little »

Be interesting to have done it for Lloyd George.
. :)

Edit: or, Boris

John661162

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Explorer wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:13 pm

Funniest: Hebrew

The Hebrew doesn't say "I am your father"! It says "מי אני? מי אתה?" = "Who am I? Who are you?"

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

[mention]EranBarLev[/mention] Thanks for letting us know! Is that the official Hebrew dub of the movie?

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Explorer wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:45 pm

@EranBarLev Thanks for letting us know! Is that the official Hebrew dub of the movie?

I don't even know if there exists a dubbed version in Hebrew. I saw this movie in English with Hebrew subtitles.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Sidor
Thailand

Post by Sidor »

Man, the Thai version is sort of expected but it still gives me a funny feeling that this quote probably belongs to some Thai fantasy/period TV series than Star Wars. The first and second person pronouns used here are rarely used in real life. They're rather archaic and carry subtle superiority/inferiority between the first person (speaker) and the second person.

Though, personally I'd love to hear กูเป็นพ่อของมึง just for a laugh. The pronouns กู(first person) and มึง(second person) are like, the rawest possible in Thai. Literally if this pair is used, the situation means all politeness is out of the window. If anything, the มึง pronoun carries a heavy sense of contempt, like one sees the second person as something absolutely disgusting and low.

🇹🇭 Native :us: B2-C1 :ru: A2

Return to “Random Thoughts”