Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

French Tree Change 11-28 930 pm -1030 pm NYC time

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

Saperlipopette!

French Tree Change 11-28 930 pm -1030 pm NYC time

Post by Saperlipopette! »

I started the second lesson of 136-7 at 930 and finished it around 1030. Upon finishing I got an abridged snake. English to french tree.

![](

So 18 units are gone, but I don't have details on what is gone. I assume they botched a turnover and filed a bug report. I did check the playstore to see that there were no software updates, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a turnover. Both the web and the app had these changes.

This isn't a tree to snake conversion issue. Duo for schools was switched over in August. I've been using the snake for three months.

Anyone else notice this ?

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrahamW
Canada

Re: French Tree Change 11-28 930 pm -1030 pm NYC time

Post by GrahamW »

@Saperlipopette! I'm not doing any work on any snakes, simply doing a few practices, biding my time for the trees to come back :-) And even then I won't return to use Duo as much as I once did.
But now you mention it, out of curiosity I slithered down to the bottom of my French snake to check, and where there were once 199 Units (2 Nov 2022), there are now only 175. So a total of 24 Units have gone for me. Why does this not surprise me? Duo has a distinctly haphazard way of throwing things out to its users to see what sticks. Perhaps the folks who posted the details of the 199 Unit Path will do the same for this 175 Unit Path (or perhaps they have, as I haven't looked)

🇨🇦 > :it: :fr: :es: Image :de: Image 🇬🇷 :brazil: 🇨🇳

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

... and now that you only need one pass to complete a node, you will have worked through the "snake" quickly and then turn your attention to other tools...

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Deleted User 3754

Post by Deleted User 3754 »

Last edited by Deleted User 3754 on Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

I have eight test acounts for the "French for English":

1, 2, 3) Changed from 199 to 174 levels (Sept/Nov)
4, 5, 6, 7) Started 197, and still 197 now (Nov)
8) Started 174, still 174 (Nov 28th)

Also, I regularly start as a "new not yet registered" user to see which version I get, in different conditions:
Chrome & Firefox (Incognite mode), and using VPN to simulate starting it from US, China, Eu (fr, de, fi, ...) and Russia.

Actually (Nov 29th) I get both the 197 (40%) version and the 174 (60%).

Are you on a 175 or 176 path? :)

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

Deleted User 3754

Last edited by Deleted User 3754 on Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saperlipopette!

My snake is back to normal. Duolingo for schools has some odd-looking residual aftereffects.

![](

completed a lesson in Unit 118, Level 6
+15 XP Nov 29, 2022 11:03 AM

+15 XP Nov 28, 2022 10:24 PM

+15 XP Nov 28, 2022 02:47 PM

completed a Capstone Review in Unit 118, Level 3
+30 XP Nov 26, 2022 08:00 PM

That 175 unit snake, they can send that little nipper on a bus to Philadelphia.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

In my schools account - it has updated to 175 units.
In my duolingo account on duolingo.com it is still on 199 units.

I anticipate my duolingo account will update soon.

I have begun gathering information on reporting the detail I am interested in the course overview at :
viewtopic.php?t=8921-course-175-path
which is currently a work in progress.
But is now providing a brief overview of the 175 unit course.

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

Anyone else has the 175 unit course?

I tried everything to get it, but it seems it's only available for school accounts which previously had 199 version.

My 174 units version is this: French from English Course Data (174 Units)

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

Deleted User 3754

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

My Schools account has also now flicked back to the 199 unit course this morning.
So my schools account, and my other account are now back to the 199 unit course.

I don't know know what Duolingo is testing, as they also carry out hundreds of different A/B tests through all the courses. And they rely on evidence of statistical improvement. Not on comments on Social Media / the loudest voice, in general.
This has always be the way with Duolingo. I am though thankful that they are working towards a recognized education standard, and now using more recognized ways of teaching - including making inroads into also teaching grammar.
Though their figures, in my review, still focus more on engagement and progress through a path/course. Rather than some more focus on other successful teaching methods. I still find it a useful tool for learning.

For a better insight of different versions - advice from our [mention]MatOzone[/mention] is well worth heeding.

One of the best articles explain the "A/B testing of versions" that Duolingo does is at :

RESULT
So the details of the update for the 175 course is on hold for me for now.
For this partial detail update, see : viewtopic.php?t=8921-course-175-path

Thanks for the heads up on all changes you notice community.

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

Test acounts for the "French for English":

1, 2, 3) Restored from 174 to 199 levels (nov 30)
4, 5, 6, 7) Remains 197 (Nov 30)
8) Started 174 (Nov 28), changed to... 197! (Nov 30)

Actually (Nov 30th) I always get the 197 version under any condition (Australia, EU, USA, Africa...)

That's it, [mention]dakanga[/mention] , there are different beta and tests :)

I fully support 🇺🇦!

Saperlipopette!

The residual issues in Duo for schools are now sorted out, i.e.

completed a lesson in Unit 136, Level 7
+20 XP Nov 30, 2022 08:52 PM

The others went back to 136-7 and the capstone review went to 136-6. It seems like there's a one day delay on the details with the class activity.

This wasn't an a-b test, this was a mistake. I'm glad they fixed it promptly.

BlahBlah
Serbia

Post by BlahBlah »

If I had to guess, somebody probably wanted to remove "empty" B2 lessons -- those that contained only Personalized Practice (Review words and grammar taught across levels) -- but then they realised those lessons were put there on purpose, as a placeholder for future course extensions. :lol:

Saperlipopette!

The snake became a tree Friday night, 12/23.

Only on the app. The website was still a snake. I'm sure they'll fix this pretty soon.

![](

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

In my initial observation of your snapshot - they have though updated the way it is presented.

Perhaps there is something new in development ?

Perhaps they may return to something more like the old tree - but updated in its format. Considering - if I am correct (I can be wrong) they have put some development resources into this - perhaps they will allow .... oh what is my wish list.

it is long.

But a key one - is allowing both the student, and for educators - to allow / guide the student through different learning journeys - due to different interests and also needs.

Perhaps I hope, they may be investigating ways to perhaps to do this.
To allow the subject matter to be under direction, and not just a single path that is the only way.

For that is not the case for many things - including for language.

Only time will tell ...... ... ..

Return to “French”