Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you! Topic is solved

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Re: Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you!

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]duome[/mention] , thank you for updating https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress (eg https://duome.eu/dalibornovy/progress) . Good solution! I see you have also optimized it. Now it works much faster. Very well!

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

This Monday I saw the path on my PC. On the Android app I still have the tree, so I keep doing my lessons on the app, but here are my observations:

1. On my English->French tree, I'm in the middle of unit 7 (out of 10) - I have about a dozen of different skills open at different levels. On the never ending path, I was placed on the unit 111 (out of 198). That seems off - shouldn't I be a little bit more ahead ( above 70% rather than at around 55%)? I looked at the "guidebook" and the sentences seem about right, but units 112-114 seem to be also derived from the skills that I am already working on the tree, nothing new until unit 115.

2. On the French tree, I'm purple to little over the first half of Unit 5. On the never ending path (...scrolls up for half an hour...) I'm purple to unit 72, which also seems a bit low (about 35% instead of a bit over 50%).

I wrote down where I am on the never ending path, because I'm curious to see, as I keep advancing the tree on the app, how/if my "start" position on the path will keep moving.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Jim606185
Australia

Post by Jim606185 »

Kelikaku wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:49 am

I used the link
https://www-internal.duolingo.com/
and it seems to be doing the trick.

That's great! Now I can see which units I need to focus on to get back up to 100%. I've dropped down to 98% because of the snake. All I need now are the listening exercises on the app. The intermediate ones are pretty basic, but they are still good practice for 3 weeks time when I'll be in France.

Native English Speaker. Currently studying French, German (basic), Dutch (Beginner), Italian (Intermediate), Russian (basic), Chinese (beginner), Scottish Gaelic (Intermediate), Norwegian (Basic)
Ic rǣde englisc spræce.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Yesterday the snake got me also on the app. Now I'm trying to find new ways to work with this version. I think for all of the finished/golden trees the only interesting option is to use the random exercises you get when refilling hearts on the app or using the "dumbbell" on the web.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

back4morelater
Great Britain

Post by back4morelater »

Stasia wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:58 pm

This Monday I saw the path on my PC. On the Android app I still have the tree, so I keep doing my lessons on the app, but here are my observations:

1. On my English->French tree, I'm in the middle of unit 7 (out of 10) - I have about a dozen of different skills open at different levels. On the never ending path, I was placed on the unit 111 (out of 198). That seems off - shouldn't I be a little bit more ahead ( above 70% rather than at around 55%)? I looked at the "guidebook" and the sentences seem about right, but units 112-114 seem to be also derived from the skills that I am already working on the tree, nothing new until unit 115.

2. On the French tree, I'm purple to little over the first half of Unit 5. On the never ending path (...scrolls up for half an hour...) I'm purple to unit 72, which also seems a bit low (about 35% instead of a bit over 50%).

I wrote down where I am on the never ending path, because I'm curious to see, as I keep advancing the tree on the app, how/if my "start" position on the path will keep moving.

You might not have to do all the steps from where they put you to the end for the English to French tree. There was something in one of the posts from Duolingo which suggested that when you got to stuff that you had done in the old view you might just over it in the new path. I think that's what happened earlier in the week for me but I find it so hard to work out within a unit where I am or where I was without the labels that used to be there. I doubt this applies with legendary skills but who knows.

bach
Germany

Post by bach »

I got the path on Android yesterday, and it's terrible.

Up to now I did one lesson in a skill, then went to the next skill, then the next.

This way I spread the lessons in any one skill out (spaced repetition) and didn't get bored. And my adaptive keyboard didn't see the same sentences repeatedly, until it learned the right answers.

With the path I can only "vary my diet" by jumping ahead, losing lessons by testing out.

Maybe the path is better for kids (though I doubt it), but fozmr adults it's very constraining.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

bach wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:22 am

...Up to now I did one lesson in a skill, then went to the next skill, then the next.

This way I spread the lessons in any one skill out (spaced repetition) and didn't get bored. And my adaptive keyboard didn't see the same sentences repeatedly, until it learned the right answers.

With the path I can only "vary my diet" by jumping ahead, losing lessons by testing out.

My tactics had been similar to yours so far.
I also don't like the fact that now you always stick to the same exercise when trying to get ahead in the snake.

But I would never test out simply to get new lessons.

My new tactic against boredom: after an exercise in the snake, I always do a random exercise (dumbbell in the web version, fill up hearts in the app) before going back in line. I don't proceed quickly in the snake then, but I have variety.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]bach[/mention] I enjoy tidbits here and there too. Which is why I use the Duome progress page!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Svea
Germany

Post by Svea »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:40 am

My new tactic against boredom: after an exercise in the snake, I always do a random exercise (dumbbell in the web version, fill up hearts in the app) before going back in line. I don't proceed quickly in the snake then, but I have variety.

Thanks a lot for sharing this approach. :)
In the app and as a subscriber of SuperDuo (and with unlimited hearts being activated) I could practice recent mistakes, but the dumbbell for random exercising over all lessons is currently not available for me in the app, after the change to the snake style.
The mentioned dumbbell in the web version - for the time being this gives me the chance for quick random exercises for10XP (currently much better than via duome, which leads to extensive level-up exercises for 40XP, at least for me).

Svea
Germany

Re: Big changes coming to a Duolingo home screen near you! - 100% Strength

Post by Svea »

GrahamW wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:15 pm

The provision of material to be repeated should be independent of the structure of the course, just as it was in the "Skill strength" days. This was also one of the flaws of Duolingo's "crack/restore" feature, since Skills were only cracked after you had reached Crown Level 5 in them. In reality, one's memory loses information even whilst going through the process of learning material it, as you move through the Crown Levels.
Did I mention that the "Skill strength" feature was an excellent implementation of what is needed ? :-)

For my favourite language I defined 100% strength as learning target. I was using my progress statistics of duome to reach this continuously for the whole tree, while proceeding in parallel very slowly from Level 1 to Level 5 over the past years (distressed by the recent changes, I targeted for L5 tree today: via duome I was able to start 4 test-out exercises for 4 remaining L4 skills).
Still the statistics at duome allow to find out which tree skill is below 100% strength, but I cannot start easily the exercise of respective skill(s) anymore to recover 100% strength.

:?: Does anyone know how to keep the overall strength at 100% now, with the new snake style learning path in place?

sandygaletoo
United States of America

Post by sandygaletoo »

Well, today I have the snake on the web page, exactly like the app was yesterday. BUT, now the app has been updated with colours on each circle set, corresponding to the old crown colours. and a message popped up congratulating me upon having this update to my progress & to pick a place on the snake to start bringing everything up to gold - what the f????

Some of the circle groups are purple - now are these new skill sets, or something else?? I am quite sure they are not Legendary because I have not done a single Legendary thing. Of course, on the old updates, purple was the colour of the new skills. And now one cannot go to a forum and ask, one must go search on Discord or some other cock-a-mamie thing without any hints. I give up, bedtime for me, lol! Totally confusing!!

I am still trying to figure out the first version of the freaking snake, and now another update ... I was/am so discombobulated that I just closed the app and did an exercise on the web. Anyways, I will post a photo tomorrow, and maybe find some more information about this new conundrum. :-/

Edit: Now that I have looked at the app again, it appears that the colours are random for each unit; no real meaning. Just a message to turn them all Gold by making them Legendary.

Last edited by sandygaletoo on Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sandygaletoo
Native: :us:
Learning: :de: :fr:

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

I have had legendary skills for awhile now. Today though, my legendary skills have turned from purple to gold.

It seems that their legendary is again gold. It is possibly an A/B test.

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

Another new feature that popped up today. Has anyone else gotten this?

1800 gems? It seems that there isn’t only inflation in the US, but also in Duolingo.

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

well you can't get it if you don't get demoted :)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Jacko079[/mention] Wow, even leagues are for sale now!

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

I am not so sad about that. That you need to pay money to get access to Leagues
Leagues - can be a motivating and kudos incentive for some, that assist their learning. And is something people can buy and give a gift of to someone else.
And I am proud of this community for hopefully making it a reality - as Duolingo developed this incentive - that can be well worth it for many - for good reason.

Providing Duolingo keeps the quality course content available, whether you pay or not.
Including things such as Stories and also Podcasts.

Though I wish they would provide a better "overview" picture for people learning.

And have more explanations of how things are working in the language - in ways that people who also just use Duolingo as a game, for pleasure, for kudos, or to assist memory.

Perhaps one day ....

I hear a lot of good reviews for https://www.lingodeer.com/. Which I think is also worth checking out for those able to spend money. I might pop back and edit this with links to reviews
Edited : This is a review you might be interested in : https://www.alllanguageresources.com/lingodeer/

Though buying things from Duolingo - it will be helping to keep Duolingo financially able to continue to maintain what they have produced, and to continue to develop it. While still making the quality output for learning free for all.
So - if you do buy leagues, or a subscription, you are also making the world a better place for anyone and all of us in the Global community.

And I congratulate you for that. Thank you.

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

[mention]dakanga[/mention], I read that Lingodeer isn't the best choice for French, Spanish, etc... I learn Russian with LingoDeer and it's a good app. No cartoons, not much gamification.
Qlango and Mondly are worth checking out, too. Black week is just over, but I guess around Christmas they offer discounts again. All three platforms offer a lifetime subscription.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

unterhausen
Andorra

Post by unterhausen »

People on reddit are saying that level 4 and 5 lessons are gone on the path. I feel like simple math shows this isn't true and gives duolingo too much credit: they wouldn't do that much work. But I gave up on the path before I found anything above level 3. Is it true the more difficult levels are gone? That's where all the learning happened for me.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

The following topic might give you an idea of how the path works. Any reviews over level 2 are lumped in overall reviews.

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

The workaround www-internal.duolingo.com doesn't work anymore, at least for me: when I try to open a lesson, it shows some trivia and flips back to the home page.
Lessons from L4 (red) an L5 (gold) can still be accessed from duome/username/progress Tree or Skills, the Tree opens the lesson on the default www.duolingo.com , as well as the skill icon and the bar graph on the Skills page, while the skill name on the Skill page tries to open www-internal, with the same (no) result as above. Btw, the L5 lessons from duome are not free — Duo silently takes 10 lingots, without asking.
Also I noticed that after doing anything on the 'snake' I loose several crowns, but after trying to do the 'internal' (even unsuccessfully) the crown count is partly restored.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

Enzfj2 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:35 pm

The workaround www-internal.duolingo.com doesn't work anymore, at least for me: when I try to open a lesson, it shows some trivia and flips back to the home page.
Lessons from L4 (red) an L5 (gold) can still be accessed from duome/username/progress Tree or Skills, the Tree opens the lesson on the default www.duolingo.com , as well as the skill icon and the bar graph on the Skills page, while the skill name on the Skill page tries to open www-internal, with the same (no) result as above. Btw, the L5 lessons from duome are not free — Duo silently takes 10 lingots, without asking.
Also I noticed that after doing anything on the 'snake' I loose several crowns, but after trying to do the 'internal' (even unsuccessfully) the crown count is partly restored.

Yes, I confirm. Unfortunately it is, since yesterday. Just one note - Legendary lessons are only free if you have no lingots (or less than 10).

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

DaliborNovy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:01 pm

Legendary lessons are only free if you have no lingots (or less than 10).

smh :roll:

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

LICA98 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:50 pm
DaliborNovy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:01 pm

Legendary lessons are only free if you have no lingots (or less than 10).

smh :roll:

It was a note for [mention]Enzfj2[/mention] . Meaning - Completing Legendary lessons for free when you don't have lingots, using Duome or direct addresses (eg. https://www.duolingo.com/skill/en/Plurals - where "Plurals" is a five-crown skill). Look back a few pages.

verdensrommet
United States of America

Post by verdensrommet »

Enzfj2 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:35 pm

Has anyone found a workaround? I tried a couple but nothing worked

Native: 🇺🇸 ~ B1: 🇪🇸 Upper A1: 🇳🇴 Image Lower A1: 🇩🇪 Dabbling: Image 🇸🇪 🇨🇳

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]verdensrommet[/mention] Only https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress remains. It is good for practicing a completed (or at least almost completed) course. For a new course, the new one path is usable.

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

DaliborNovy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:56 pm

@verdensrommet Only https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress remains. It is good for practicing a completed (or at least almost completed) course. For a new course, the new one path is usable.

The other workaround I use is described here. I grant that it's a bit cumbersome, but it works (at least for me) on the web version.
I've been using the snake on the app (and I'm minding it less than when I first encountered it).

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

trackerwannabe wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:09 pm
DaliborNovy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:56 pm

@verdensrommet Only https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress remains. It is good for practicing a completed (or at least almost completed) course. For a new course, the new one path is usable.

The other workaround I use is described here. I grant that it's a bit cumbersome, but it works (at least for me) on the web version.
I've been using the snake on the app (and I'm minding it less than when I first encountered it).

Yes, it's the same principle. Only, when you use https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress , it does the work for you automatically. And even more - the graph "XP per Skill (4 weeks)" is perfect for practice - is also clickable.

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

DaliborNovy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:54 pm

And even more - the graph "XP per Skill (4 weeks)" is perfect for practice - is also clickable.

I missed that part. Thanks for that.

And it looks like that which is under "Skills" and "Words" (tabs to the right of "Tree") is clickable as well. Cool!

Last edited by trackerwannabe on Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

DaliborNovy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:58 pm

It was a note for @Enzfj2 . Meaning - Completing Legendary lessons for free when you don't have lingots, using Duome or direct addresses (eg. https://www.duolingo.com/skill/en/Plurals - where "Plurals" is a five-crown skill). Look back a few pages.

Thanks, Dalibor, I have so many lingots that I wouldn't have noticed -10, I just opened another copy of duome to compare statistics after doing some experiments. The summary is below.

duome.eu/username/progress page allows to switch easily
— to do a lesson click on the skill icon on the the Tree tab or on the list on the Skills tab or on the proper bar on the XP per Skill (4 weeks) graph , but it will finish on the 'snake' page;
— to practice click on the crown icon next to the skill you want to practice—on either tab;
— to go to the www-internal click on the underlined skill name on the Skills tab: it won't open a lesson, but will allow stories.

I've tried lessons from several courses starting from L0 to L4 and, except for German from English, all worked normally, but always finishing at the 'snake'. In German from English yesterday I did 5 lessons from a skill and expected to get a crown, but the tree didn't show any progress, and the next lesson was .../skill/de/University/6, while the skill has only 5 lessons, and this 6th one was essencially the 1st of the same crown level (L3). Today the same skill starts from 1 again! Is it just a lapse, or the sign that some 'tree' chunks are no longer supported, IDK. Pity, this way harder lessons will be unreachable.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]Enzfj2[/mention] https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress is good for practicing a completed (or at least almost completed) course. You must have 3 or more crowns. Otherwise, you will end up on the "snake" page sometimes. The snake is usable for new courses. Thank Goodness, it can be bypassed - you can make the last checkpoint test on the snake (new path). Then you can take advantage of all the benefits on https://duome.eu/YourUsername/progress .

Last edited by DaliborNovy on Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Duolingo”