Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Great Youtube extensions on Chrome

Subforums: Achievements · Random Thoughts · Discussions
I'm learning... select your target language from this list

Moderators: Jacko079, Basler Biker

Zimozie
Finland

Great Youtube extensions on Chrome

Post by Zimozie »

Hello,

I can't emphasize it how useful these two Chrome extensions together have been to me:

Language learning with Youtube beta
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... mcjb?hl=en

Language reactor
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... bnpciblicm

On Language reactor, you'll find frequency lists (linked to Tatoeba) in 50 languages (if simplified and traditional Chinese are counted separately). The following languages are: Ukrainian, Afrikaans, Arabic, Basque, Belarusian, Bulgaria, Catalan, Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Marathi, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, and Vietnamese.

You can watch Youtube videos with subtitles in your target language and you can click on any word you find interesting and the translation will appear to your selected native tongue (I prefer English because that may have the most accurate translations e.g. for Ukrainian compared to Finnish-Ukrainian.) This extension uses machine translation that isn't always correct but in longer sentences it gets better. You can the premium version one week for free to save words and phrases but that isn't too bad and doesn't impact too much on the extension's functionality when using without subscription.

You can export saved words into an Anki deck which is very useful.

Note that when watching Youtube videos with these extensions, you'll have to click on the subtitles and switch them on. They work even if the video has auto-generated subtitles.

There are so many things to say. Please, have a try on it and enjoy because it's one of the best tools I've found for language learning.

🇫🇮 native, 🇺🇲 C1-B2, 🇫🇷🇮🇱🇸🇪 B2-B1, 🇪🇸 B1-A2, 🇯🇴🇪🇪🇳🇴A2-A1, 🇷🇺🇺🇦🇬🇷🇨🇳 A1
Duolingo profile: https://duome.eu/zimozie77

LICA98
Finland

Re: Great Youtube extensions on Chrome

Post by LICA98 »

here are the ones I use:

Return YouTube Dislike - pretty much does what it says

Screenshot YouTube takes a screenshot of the video without the bar getting in the way

Show YouTube comments while watching moves the comments to the right of the video so you can read them while watching the video

Youtube Playback Speed Control allows you to set a custom speed of the video and play faster than 2x
also setting the speed by just pressing Ctrl and scrolling the mouse wheel instead of having to do several clicks in the settings

Youtube-shorts block makes Youtube shorts videos show with a normal interface instead of the tik tok one

YouTube™ Comment Translate
Image Image

Sponsorblock allows you to skip sponsored segments in the videos, non-music sections in music videos and other junk (like the creator begging for you to like/subscribe/donate money)
the best extension ever created :)

Youtube Auto Pause Blocker disables this nonsense
necessary only if you watch playlists (e.g. listen to music from a playlist)

vidIQ this is mostly for creators but I use it to see how many subscribers a commenter has and also the views per hour of a video
Image Image
also before youtube removed dislikes they used to show the like percentage but that's gone now unfortunately :?

Last edited by LICA98 on Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LICA98
Finland

Re: Great Youtube extensions on Chrome

Post by LICA98 »

also one for Firefox that I haven't found for Chrome: Straight To Videos
when you click on the creator's username it takes you straight to their videos page and not to their home page

Return to “I speak English”