Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Samochód, auto, wóz, fura

Destal
France

Samochód, auto, wóz, fura

Post by Destal »

Hello,

What are the differences between these words? I guess they are all for a car (not any other mean of transport) and belong to different levels of language.

My guess is "samochód" is the real Polish word, "auto" is a foreign word, "wóź" and "fura" are colloquial.

About "auto", is it the full word? Because obviously it comes from a longer word (in French we have "automobile" and I think in German there is "Automobil", and also I think both in French and German we can say "auto"/"Auto").

Thanks

Last edited by Destal on Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stasia
Poland

Re: Samochód, auto, wóź, fura

Post by Stasia »

Samochód is the official proper word. (Samo chodzi = it goes on its own, basically a literal translation of auto-mobile).

Auto - yes, it is the full word in Polish, and yes it comes from automobile (whether the French, English, German, or all of the above).

Wóz is informal/colloquial, as it is an adaptation from an older mode of transportation to a newer one. Properly speaking, wóz is a carriage (to be pulled by horses or other animals).

Fura, properly speaking, is a very specific kind of carriage used by farmers. Again, you can use this word colloquially to talk about a car.

This is a fura (or furmanka):

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: Samochód, auto, wóź, fura

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

I never noticed before that the english word "car" is only an abbreviation of "carriage".

Carriage: wóz, fura (German: die Karre, also used for cars colloquially, die Fuhre/das Fuhrwerk never used for cars)

Car: auto, samochód (German: das Auto, no one says Automobil anymore)

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Return to “Language”