Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Streak freeze... use any day?

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Brewerpablo
United States of America

Streak freeze... use any day?

Post by Brewerpablo »

I have two streak freezes equipped. I've only ever used one on a weekend, which is what I thought they were for.

Can I use one for any day of the week or just weekends. Not sure exactly how that works. I'll be an election judge this coming Tuesday and won't be able to use Duolingo. I'd hate to lose my nearly 600 day streak!

Stasia
Poland

Re: Streak freeze... use any day?

Post by Stasia »

Brewerpablo wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:34 pm

I have two streak freezes equipped. I've only ever used one on a weekend, which is what I thought they were for.

Can I use one for any day of the week or just weekends. Not sure exactly how that works. I'll be an election judge this coming Tuesday and won't be able to use Duolingo. I'd hate to lose my nearly 600 day streak!

Yes, you can use them any day of the week. I used one most recently on a Monday. :)

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

...and when you have used a streak freeze, don't be in a hurry to "buy" a new one with your gems. I regularly get back a streak freeze as a gift during my exercises of the week.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Brewerpablo
United States of America

Post by Brewerpablo »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:15 am

...and when you have used a streak freeze, don't be in a hurry to "buy" a new one with your gems. I regularly get back a streak freeze as a gift during my exercises of the week.

I don't mind spending gems.. What are they really good for anyway? A new costume? I don't see those anyway on my laptop which is where I use Duolingo. I'd rather know that I have those freezes, just in case.

Kelikaku
Israel

Post by Kelikaku »

I've been able to purchase a new streak freeze for the past several days.
Am I the only one?

When I attempt to enter the Duolingo "shop" to purchase a streak freeze, the screen just hangs.

Thanks so very much.
Keep up the good work.

bs'd

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Kelikaku[/mention] Internal.duolingo.com shop does not open. I use this link, close the tab when you're done, so you don't have to look at the snake. The two duolingo's do sync still.

[mention]MoniqueMaRie[/mention] I get that too now whenever I need one. It's like a gift of ten lingots! And automatically uploads. It must be one way Duolingo is encouraging people to keep a streak.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:57 pm

It must be one way Duolingo is encouraging people to keep a streak.

Duolingo knows very well that it is much easier to quit when your streak gets down to zero, especially if you do not like the "snake" and other "improvements". If your streak is hundreds of days long, the decision to quit becomes more unpleasant.

Brewerpablo
United States of America

Post by Brewerpablo »

Thanks people -- I didn't touch Duolingo yesterday (Tuesday) and my streak was indeed protected.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Gentianopsis[/mention] It didn't work that way this week. Always got to watch your streak is refilled! Especially when not using the duolingo interface to do your lessons.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Brewerpablo
United States of America

Post by Brewerpablo »

Snake?

Brewerpablo
United States of America

Post by Brewerpablo »

In case anyone is still following this I have another streak question. Two actually...
1) how much Duo do you need in a day to maintain a streak? Will signing in, answering a question or two do it? One whole lesson? My "daily minimum"?

2) Our power went out today and that got me wondering... is there a way to ask Duolingo to reinstate a streak in case it's impossible to do lessons for more than the number of streak freezes we have? A really big winter storm could knock us out for more than two days! Thanks.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

Brewerpablo wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:19 pm

1) how much Duo do you need in a day to maintain a streak? Will signing in, answering a question or two do it? One whole lesson? My "daily minimum"?

According to my experience, you always need Duolingo to increase your XP count to maintain your streak. That means finishing a whole lesson or a story, not just one or two question in it and quitting. Repairing broken hearts in payed version should do the job too, I guess, regardless how many/little they are. Achieving your "daily goal" is not necessary for keeping your streak, it is just an additional motivation to gain more XP's (you randomly get from zero to five lingots/gems for it).

Brewerpablo wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:19 pm

2) Our power went out today and that got me wondering... is there a way to ask Duolingo to reinstate a streak in case it's impossible to do lessons for more than the number of streak freezes we have? A really big winter storm could knock us out for more than two days! Thanks.

I recently noted some comments here about people being able to freeze their streaks for more than two days according the their streak lengts (something like 1 more day to freeze per each 100 days in the streak) after their Duolingo changed to the "snake". I cannot confirm that, because my streak is not that long yet. In the old discussions on Duolingo for English from Czech learners, some people wrote about being offered repairs of their lost streaks. They received an email from Duolingo, that after paying a certain amount of money their streaks would be restored. I would not count on that though.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Brewerpablo[/mention] I thought you had to complete your "daily minimum" to achieve a streak. It may have changed. Mine's 1 XP.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:16 am

I thought you had to complete your "daily minimum" to achieve a streak. It may have changed. Mine's 1 XP.

I think that a streak is not based on your "daily minimum/goal" on purpose, because you can change your "daily minimum/goal" any time and many times a day. Having set your "daily minimum/goal" on 1XP would be fine, if there was a way to get just 1XP a day or even better, to finish one perfect lesson (15XP's) and be free for 2 weeks after that. Duolingo does not give you any XP's without finishing a lesson/practice/test/story... and lessons used to be for at least 10XP's each. In the "snake", it is 5XP's for a lesson, in "broken hearts", it used to be 2XP's per 1 sentence, thus you could not get less than 2XP's and even that was just in case you had only 1 "broken heart", not more, otherwise you needed to finish them all (in groups of 10 sentences each) to get your XP's. I thought that with the "daily minimum/goal" 1XP I can do 1 lesson the entire week, just about 2-3 sentences of it a day, but it certainly does not work that way. If I set my "daily minimum" high, my streak increases after the first lesson I finish that day and my "daily minimum/goal" achievement message comes after additional lessons according to XP's.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Brewerpablo wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:34 pm

never understood when people say "I'll be busy this day so I can't do duolingo"... it takes like 2-3 minutes to do a lesson, surely anyone got that amount of free time even during a busy day :roll:

only valid excuse for losing a streak is when you literally don't have internet access (e.g. because of a natural disaster or an internet shutdown if you live in a 3rd world country)

Kelikaku
Israel

Post by Kelikaku »

Sometimes it's not true; when things are working normally it's true.

I know of a user who completes drills, entire lessons, and the system just locks up and refuses to give him points/credit and no activity shows up on his user page. Each time this happens, a streak freeze gets used.

Thanks so very much.
Keep up the good work.

bs'd

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

When I changed over to you path, my streak freeze credit jumped from the usual maximum of 2 to 5. I've since used 1.

Return to “Duolingo”