Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Music in Latin

Moderator: Explorer

Explorer
Portugal

Music in Latin

Post by Explorer »

Karl Orf - Carmina Burana

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

gmads
Mexico

Re: Music in Latin

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:04 pm

Such a great work!

While watching (actually watching) an orchestra on video doesn't tend to be very exciting, the following is a Carmina Burana recording really worth watching: the camera work and edition is superb :!: The people involved really knew what they were doing! Quite a rare treat! And the performance of the tenor Philip Defrancq is a joy. I hope you can take some time to watch it, I think you'll like it :)

Last edited by gmads on Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

[mention]gmads[/mention] What a great performance! The whole video is well worth watching even if you're not a huge fan of this kind of music.

Gratias tibi ago!

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Explorer wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:04 pm

Hoc carmen audax mihi placet!
I love this audacious song! Thank you!

Inceptor linguae Latinae sum. Latine scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar.
(I'm Latin beginner. I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction.)

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

More music in Latin:

O Caritas (Cat Stevens, 1972)

... and this even isn't 'classical music'.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

weerwater

Post by weerwater »

Surprising variety

Here comes the sun.

A horse with no name.

Fly me to the moon.

Pompeii.

Song of Hadrian's wall.

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

One of the best versions I've heard of the chant Salve Regina. Very relaxing.

in hac lacrimarum valle...

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Vangelis is one of my favorite modern composers. He is the author of the soundtracks for Blade Runner, Chariots of Fire, and 1492: Conquest of Paradise, among others. Recently, I was looking for some music to listen to at the gym and came across this masterpiece. When I listened to it I thought, wow, this really sounds like Latin, but I don't understand anything at all. What the heck is this? When I got home I looked for some information and found out that this is actually known as "Dog Latin", an invented language that sounds like Latin but is not Latin. How crazy is that? :shock:

I had no idea this existed. Anyway, I think the song and the images of the movie really evoke strong emotions in those who have Spanish and Portuguese heritage.

► Show Spoiler

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Yes, a great composer, though it made me smile when I read "modern," as it has its years now, although I really don't know if he is still composing and if so, what is his latest work ;)

Indeed, a very… how could it be described… strong, motivating, kind of grandiose… the kind of music that merits jokes like, I played Conquest of Paradise to my Chihuahua and he just turned into a Bulldog! 🤣 Compared to others, it is of course rather soft, so it is not like a grandiose epic composition, but a grandiose getting-ready-for-battle music :D A notch or two stronger would be something like: SKÁLD - Ó Valhalla… the armies have gathered, they have prepared their swords and armors, and are already marching!

Speaking of singers that sing in strange languages, I definitely recommend you to listen to Lisa Gerrard, either as the singer of the group, Dead Can Dance, or as a soloist. I'm more than sure that you'll come to like her style, her singing and her playing the yangqin. From the very first CD I heard from them, Spiritchaser, more than twenty years ago, I was instantly captured with the group's music: ethereal, strange, mystic… it definitely transports one to other places. Their music, or that of just Lisa, has been used in movies, and in audiovisual documentaries like Baraka (if you haven't seen it, please do, it is a must! just be sure to set apart a couple of hours with no distractions, and be in a relaxed introspective mood ;) the link is to a YT upload, but you better get and watch the original, you won't regret it).

Regardless of the music, I think you will appreciate and enjoy Lisa's singing, as she uses a language she invented when she was very young.

Antinomy - Imagination

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

@gmads Sadly, Vangelis passed away one year ago, on May 17, 2022. May this humble message serve as a tribute to his work.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:54 am

@gmads Sadly, Vangelis passed away one year ago, on May 17, 2022. May this humble message serve as a tribute to his work.

Chariots of Fire • Main Theme • Vangelis

Sorry to hear that! As long as he is remembered and his music played, he will continue to be alive.

:hash:  ㆍgeneral ㆍmusic

Antinomy - Imagination

lfsvalerio
Brazil

Post by lfsvalerio »

It's really great to see all those contributions!
I know it's not the taste of everyone but I don't think you need to be particularly religious to enjoy some great Christian songs. There are tons of them in Latin, and not only plainchant like Gregorian and Ambrosian (which have a beauty of their own) there are a lot of polyphonic songs as well.

Listen to this beautiful rendition of a Psalm 51, for example:

Or this magistral piece of Classical music, using a medieval poem as lyrics:

And, to break some prejudices against medieval poetry being poor, what about a hymn composed with Classical poetic meter?

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Gloria in excelsis Deo by Vivaldi

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

There is only one Latin song I know by heart (in Latin): Adeste fideles
Probably almost everyone knows it in the language of their native country

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Adeste Fideles🙂 I like performed by Andrea Bocellito. 🙂

Andrea Bocelli - Adeste Fideles

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

ElBosco - Nirvana

Et erunt signa in sole et luna et stellis
Et presura gentium
Prae confusione sonitus maris

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Gaudeamus Igitur

Gaudeamus Igitur (Let us rejoice) is a traditional Latin hymn. Its origins date back to the early 18th century, believed to have been composed by German theologian and philosopher Christian Wilhelm Kindleben. The song is commonly sung at university graduations and other academic events worldwide, symbolizing the pursuit of knowledge, friendship, and the enjoyment of life.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Explorer wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:16 pm

.... the enjoyment of life.

Enjoyment of life? No more fun when you get older, have fun while you are young:

Gaudeamus igitur,
iuvenes dum sumus!
Post iucundam iuventutem,
post molestam senectutem,
nos habebit humus.

And a version for female students I just found:

Gaudeamus igitur,
Virgines dum sumus!
Post ludos gratos amoris,
post molestam uxoris,
nos habebit humus.

But the melody is joyful: nos habebit humus, nos habebit humus, nos habebit humus....

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Nunc hic sumus! Fruere vita nam finis omnibus certus est.

► Show Spoiler

Return to “Humanitas et scientia”