Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

can I go back to the crowns?

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

T_Bagsby
United States of America

can I go back to the crowns?

Post by T_Bagsby »

I'm really not liking the new update called "the path". Is it possible to go back to how things were before the update?

So I know feedback is useful. Here is why I don't like the path.
For feedback:

1) All user choice has been removed. I have no choice in what lessons I want to do for the night.
2) There is no safe place to practice. Precious completed lessons risk hearts.
I leave hearts on intentionally because it challenges me, but sometimes I get frustrated with hard lessons and want to practice something easier, and not risk hearts. This also helps me to practice old Work I don't get in my newer lessons. I can't do that anymore and I just get frustrated.

• I know there is a practice area, but it's not very good, again because I know no choice in what I want to practice.
    3) I like the cracked lessons. They helped me to practice older lessons.
    4) I miss the crowns and checkpoints. They felt like a good metric for progress. Now progress feels very nebulous.
    5) It's way too cluttered and it's hard to get information on the lessons actually to learn.

I suspect the update will help ease in new users but I think user retention will drop significantly. As the updates do not feel friendly for long-term use.
I hope this feedback can help in future updates

Svea
Germany

Re: can I go back to the crowns?

Post by Svea »

T_Bagsby wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:27 am

I'm really not liking the new update called "the path". Is it possible to go back to how things were before the update?
[...]

This forum is linked to Duome, and cannot influence decisions by Duolingo.
Here we can help each other with workarounds, hence may be this post from another discussion thread is helpful for you, for the time-being (I show only a small excerpt here - please use the small arrow, if you like to access the original post).

Gentianopsis wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:23 pm

I use web Duolingo (for computers, not smartphones).
[...] in the old design of Duolingo: https://www-internal.duolingo.com/learn
[...] link to some kind of Duolingo back-up server and no-one knows, how long they let them operational. :-(

I use the mentioned link with the browser on my smartphone, and it works currently quite well for me.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

I agree with many people that more we complain about recent Duolingo changes more likely we get at least something from the good old Duolingo back. But: you have to send your complains directly to Duolingo Help Center https://support.duolingo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new (or you can find the Duolingo Help link for your own language on your Duolingo learning page in the scrollable list under your profile photo). Duolingo is also on Twitter. However, their Duolingo Help center is seriously overloaded, and some Duome users mentioned, that Duolingo started to block incoming messages on their social media. So, do not expect any response from them (or - at least - not any time soon). Duolingo cares more about their paying users and they reply to them sooner and usually at least pretend that they try to help. Someone here on Duome suggested that Duolingo does not care about (and maybe even wants to get rid of) us "freeloaders" who study one of their courses after another for years, collect crowns, owls and XP's, pay absolutely nothing for that and often even use adblockers to get rid of advertisements. Duolingo does not want to do charity, but business and they want to earn money.

Check also this forum viewtopic.php?t=49-use-duome-to-see-mor ... olingo-com because hard-working volunteers on Duome try their best to preserve our "old-fashioned" way of learning languages on Duolingo.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

Gentianopsis wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:09 pm

(...) Duolingo cares more about their paying users and they reply to them sooner and usually at least pretend that they try to help. (...)

I am a paying customer and I have an impression that Duolingo does not care much more for me than for the free users. I have submitted a number of requests and never got any reply.
Overall I find it quite irritating that there is no way to contact Duolingo for general requests. I could not find any e-mail address anywhere. The link in the user profile leads to a bug request form where one has to select one of the fixed options, like "submit a bug", "purchase issue" or "report abuse" or alike. It is none of those. "I just want to say hello". No option for that.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

T_Bagsby wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:27 am

(...)
I hope this feedback can help in future updates

Thanks @T_Bagsby for this list. I hope Duolingo reads it. I can add the following:

There are a number of languages that I had learned in the past, then forgot and now I want to refresh them. For those languages I prefer to skim the entire course first only up to level one in order to refresh/build up the vocabulary. Then I begin to level up step by step. I already have some grammar foundations so I do not need countless exercises for that.
This is not possible now, because now in order to get to "level 1" lessons within a unit I have to work my way through other lessons that I am (for now) not interested in.

I add one more. I typically follow the cascading method of Duolingo very closely with just a little deviation. Let's say I have four adjacent skills open, the newest one has a few lessons with new vocabulary. Each lesson is, say, 8-10 new lexemes which is enough for me for one day. So i do one such lesson and three other from older skills. But now it is not possible. In order to keep the same pace (4 lessons per day) I'd have to keep digging in the new skill. Which means 40-50 new words and that is too much for me. Of course I can write down the vocabulary and spread the learning over a couple of days, but that way I am actually undoing what Duolingo wants me to do. With the "tree" it was possible without any questions asked.

Return to “Duolingo”