Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

7000 Duolingo Crowns

Izabela

7000 Duolingo Crowns

Post by Izabela »

Earlier this year I looked at my duome page and said to myself, "If I do a good bit of practice each day, I should be able to reach 7000 crowns before the end of the year." That happened this morning and I feel a bit of pride about how much I've been able to learn and expand my thinking beyond the borders which knowing only one language can impose.

7000 duolingo crowns.jpg
7000 duolingo crowns.jpg (17.26 KiB) Viewed 635 times

When I first started using Duolingo, it was to help me in my efforts to learn French as someone who was past the age of 40, an age when it is felt that new language acquisition is very difficult. I can't say I've disproven that assumption, as I have only rarely spoken the languages in which I have at least some passive fluency in reading and listening. But I do read from French and Spanish rather well. Portuguese and Italian are less fluid.

Esperanto is a special friend. Its simplicity provided me a language that I was first able to think in for extended periods of time without slipping back into my native language, English. I do feel it has utility for an older language learner trying to escape from monolingualism. The simple grammar and word-building features in it can provide a means to play with language and how it can shape our thinking.

TheChronotope
Great Britain

Re: 7000 Duolingo Crowns

Post by TheChronotope »

I love this. Congratulations. :) And I sympathize, as a 40yo language learner myself (as well as a language teacher and literary translator). I resumed learning on Duolingo six months ago, when I had scarcely 500 crowns, and thought, "Hmm, I bet I can reach 2,000 by the end of the year." And then it happened, to my enormous satisfaction. The pleasure I feel now, at being able to read Polish and Italian poetry, is hard to explain to people. Back in April, I could barely make out a word of either language, but learning them got me through a through a difficult time and has helped me to feel centered and intellectually alive again. Here's to languages, to the neuroplasticity and joy they show us.

Last edited by TheChronotope on Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

That's awesome! You're on the top 500 of Duome :shock:

Bem feito e mantenha o bom trabalho!

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 🇮🇹 |

Deleted User 114

Post by Deleted User 114 »

An amazing accomplishment! Congrats!

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

[mention]Izabela[/mention] Apparently you've been using Duolingo almost since the beginning (since March 2014). You must have seen a lot of changes.

The most important thing is to be able to use the languages you have learned - and you seem to be successful with that (reading, watching movies...)

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Izabela

Post by Izabela »

[mention]TheChronotope[/mention] It really is a lovely feeling when you realize you're reading something in another language and it's only every now and then you might have to stop and think about how to make sense of something. I too have sometimes in life sought refuge in learning, somehow it seems like perhaps so long as I have curiosity to learn, perhaps that can keep me nourished enough.

[mention]Explorer[/mention] Sometimes I really wonder how I'm there. But I've been pecking away for a long while and I'm something of a vagabond, rambling here and there to at least sample a tiny nibble from some languages.

[mention]Jacko079[/mention] Thank you. I hope your study of Arabic progresses well. If it's your first foreign language, it's the hardest one. But subsequent languages get easier, it seems, as the brain adapts and stops trying so much to impose the rules taught to us by our native tongues.

[mention]MoniqueMaRie[/mention] It was my older brother who brought Duolingo to my attention. Duolingo was still new enough then that the computer voices for languages were rather terrible. My brother held his cellphone up to my ear and played a lesson that asked the student to write down the French sentence being played...perhaps it was only my somewhat bad ears, but I couldn't even begin to make out what the computer voice was saying in French. But some point later on, I decided to try Duolingo out and found it helpful, that even if I'm not exactly good at relentlessly pursuing one language at a time, I found relentless dabbling between various languages to keep my head working on something related to learning of languages.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Congratulations! What an achievement! 7,000 crowns!! :) Wow! Well your streak is no less impressive or your XP! I'm so glad you've found languages a refuge!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

AlexanderN844702
Canada

Post by AlexanderN844702 »

I only have 282 crowns...
so 7000 seems amazing! Congrats to this achievement!

• AlexanderN844702 (currently hosting the 2023 Duolympics)
Dovili22
United States of America

Post by Dovili22 »

Wow! Congrats! Really nice achievement

D o r a

Return to “Achievements”