Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How to translate "Quiet Night Thoughts" or "Thoughts on quiet night" into Latin?

Moderator: Explorer

McGonnagle
Japan

How to translate "Quiet Night Thoughts" or "Thoughts on quiet night" into Latin?

Post by McGonnagle »

I need a help with translating the title of the famous Chinese poem, 静夜思by Libai, often translated as "Quiet night thoughts" or " Thoughts on quiet night" in English.   

I have a few possible ideas, but I doubt if they sound right.

1. cogitationes tranquillae nocturnae (quiet nocturnal thoughts/ thoughts belonging to the quiet night)

2. cogitationes noctis tranquillae (thoughts of quiet night)

3. cogitationes nocte tranquilla (thoughts at quiet night)

The second one sounds the closest to the original Chinese as a direct translation, but does it make sence in English/ Latin?

Also, how do you say " thoughts ON" (but not "thoughts ABOUT" ) in Latin?

Thank you in advance!!

[addition]
This is more like a English grammar question but I wonder if "Quiet" of "Quiet Night Thoughts" is only modifying "Thoughts" but not "Night"?

Inceptor linguae Latinae sum. Latine scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar.
(I'm Latin beginner. I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction.)

Explorer
Portugal

Re: How to translate "Quiet Night Thoughts" or "Thoughts on quiet night" into Latin?

Post by Explorer »

There are several options, depending on what element you want to emphasize. If possible, when there are two different elements, I like to place the main noun between them, as Julius Caesar often liked to do. Also in this case I would choose quietus, -a, -um instead of tranquilus, -a, -um in the sense of calm or peaceful. I think both are correct though.

• Noctis cogitationes quietae - Quiet thoughts of the night.

• Quietae cogitationes nocte - Quiet thoughts in the night.

• Cogitationes quieta nocte - Thoughts in the quiet night.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 🇮🇹 🇳🇱 |

McGonnagle
Japan

Re: How to translate "Quiet Night Thoughts" or "Thoughts on quiet night" into Latin?

Post by McGonnagle »

Explorer wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:12 pm

There are several options, depending on what element you want to emphasize. If possible, when there are two different elements, I like to place the main noun between them, as Julius Caesar often liked to do. Also in this case I would choose quietus, -a, -um instead of tranquilus, -a, -um in the sense of calm or peaceful. I think both are correct though.

• Noctis cogitationes quietae - Quiet thoughts of the night.

• Quietae cogitationes nocte - Quiet thoughts in the night.

• Cogitationes quieta nocte - Thoughts in the quiet night.

Thank you so much for your response!

It's really good to know that as you say "place the main noun between them, as Julius Caesar often liked to do." .
I also agree to choose quietus, -a, -um rather than tranquillus, -a, -um, for the case when 静 is modifying 思. (Maybe for the case when 静 is modifying 夜 then tranquilla could be fine, too, just like a church song title "Tranquilla Nox Venit")

I like your first one Noctis cogitationes quietae most. It's visually beautiful.

...After writing this far, I realized that the "thoughts" in this poem is not really "quiet"... it's full of nostalgia, very emotional. ( I'm sorry, I should have clarified my thoughts before posting, but almost half of the professional translators translate this as the "quiet" modifying the "thoughts" in English. https://www.qidulp.com/article/p/3540 and also people in Japan when it comes to reading ancient Chinese poems, don't really go through translation process to understand its meaning in general, so I've never thought about it clearly... )

Maybe it should be "thoughts of quiet night"/ "cogitationes noctis quietae", (it also looks like translated as "Pensamiento de una noche tranquila" in Spanish. I believe this is the same structure of "thought(s) of quiet night" https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pensamien ... _tranquila ) ... if I rearrange this word order, as you say "Julius Caesar often liked to do", it still just become (visually) the same as your first one, "Noctis cogitationes quietae". Or maybe I would go singular -- "Noctis cogitatio quietae" (a thought of quiet night) or "Noctis cogitatio tranquillae"(a thought of tranquil night). I wonder if they work?

Gratias tibi ago!!

Inceptor linguae Latinae sum. Latine scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar.
(I'm Latin beginner. I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction.)

Return to “Sententiarum explicatio”