Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

If you could retain your native language, and only learn 3 others, what would they be?

eaglefin31
United States of America

If you could retain your native language, and only learn 3 others, what would they be?

Post by eaglefin31 »

The gist of this is you can magically learn 3 languages fluently in addition to your native one, but you will never be able to understand or learn any other language. So what 3 would you learn and why?

I guess I'll go first, here are my 3 and why I would want to learn them.
Russian- I know people there, it's the 5th most spoken language in the world (according to google), and it just sounds SO COOL!!!
German- I don't know why, but this language has always fascinated me. Also, a lot of the music I listen to is German. It would be so cool to be able to speak this.
Japanese- I'll admit it, I'm a weeb. There's nothing more I'd love than to be able to watch anime without subtitles, travel to Japan, and attend a convention there. (I delude myself into thinking I'm some awesome warrior at Belegarth, you should see me with my spear (I'm not actually an awesome warrior, I get my butt kicked a lot))

Anyhoo, that's my choices and why, now what about you guys?
Later! :)

Суть в том, что вы можете волшебным образом свободно выучить 3 языка в дополнение к своему родному, но вы никогда не сможете понять или выучить какой-либо другой язык. Итак, что 3 вы бы узнали и почему?

Думаю, я пойду первым, вот мои 3 и почему я хотел бы их выучить.
Русский - я знаю там людей, это 5-й по распространенности язык в мире (согласно гуглу), и он просто КРУТО!!!
Немецкий - не знаю почему, но этот язык всегда меня очаровывал. Кроме того, я слушаю большую часть музыки на немецком языке. Было бы так здорово иметь возможность говорить об этом.
Японец - признаюсь, я слабак. Больше всего на свете я хотел бы иметь возможность смотреть аниме без субтитров, путешествовать в Японию и присутствовать там на конгрессе. (Я обманываю себя, думая, что я какой-то классный воин в Белегарте, вы должны увидеть меня с моим копьем (на самом деле я не классный воин, мне часто надирают задницу))

Во всяком случае, это мой выбор, и почему, а что насчет вас, ребята?
Потом! :)

Das Wesentliche davon ist, dass Sie zusätzlich zu Ihrer Muttersprache 3 Sprachen fließend lernen können, aber Sie werden niemals in der Lage sein, eine andere Sprache zu verstehen oder zu lernen. Also, welche 3 würden Sie lernen und warum?

Ich denke, ich werde zuerst gehen, hier sind meine 3 und warum ich sie lernen möchte.
Russisch – ich kenne Leute dort, es ist die fünftmeistgesprochene Sprache der Welt (laut Google) und es klingt einfach SO COOL!!!
Deutsch – ich weiß nicht warum, aber diese Sprache hat mich schon immer fasziniert. Außerdem ist ein Großteil der Musik, die ich höre, deutsch. Es wäre so cool, darüber sprechen zu können.
Japanisch- Ich gebe es zu, ich bin ein Weber. Ich würde nichts lieber tun, als Anime ohne Untertitel zu sehen, nach Japan zu reisen und dort an einer Convention teilzunehmen. (Ich täusche mich selbst, indem ich denke, ich bin ein großartiger Krieger bei Belegarth, du solltest mich mit meinem Speer sehen (ich bin eigentlich kein großartiger Krieger, ich werde oft in den Hintern getreten))

Wie auch immer, das ist meine Wahl und warum, was ist jetzt mit euch?
Später! :)

これの要点は、母国語に加えて3つの言語を魔法のように流暢に学習できるが、他の言語を理解または学習することは決してできないということです.では、何を学び、その理由は何ですか?

私は最初に行くと思います.ここに私の3つと、それらを学びたい理由があります.
ロシア語 - ロシア語は世界で 5 番目に話されている言語 (Google によると) であり、とてもクールに聞こえます!!!
ドイツ語 - 理由はわかりませんが、この言語は常に私を魅了してきました。また、私が聴いている音楽の多くはドイツ語です。これを話せたら最高です。
日本語 - 私はそれを認めます。字幕なしでアニメを見たり、日本に旅行したり、そこでコンベンションに参加したりできることほど、私が望むことはありません. (私は自分がベレガースの素晴らしい戦士だと思い込んでいます。槍を持った私を見るべきです (私は実際には素晴らしい戦士ではありません。お尻をよく蹴られます))

Anyhoo、それは私の選択であり、なぜ、あなたたちはどうですか?
後で! :)

​Lead the sword with your body, and you will become one with it.
-Miyamoto Musashi

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: If you could retain your native language, and only learn 3 others, what would they be?

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Impossible: three languages beside my native one are never enough. I need at least French, Italian, Dutch, Polish, Danish, Czech for all the neighboring countries.

And I don't want to lose the English, French and Chinese (and even the Latin) I already learned in school and university.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Explorer
Portugal

Re: If you could retain your native language, and only learn 3 others, what would they be?

Post by Explorer »

If I had to forget everything and could install three languages in my brain like Neo does in the Matrix, I'd go for:

• English: as a native Spanish and Portuguese speaker, knowing English opens me the doors of most countries in the american continent. It's an essential language in the academic field. And last but not least, it grants me access to countless sources of entertainment such as movies, series and music. English is a must.

• Mandarin: China is the cradle of one of the oldest and richest civilizations in the history of mankind. China is not only a huge country. For thousands of years, the Chinese have extended their cultural influence far beyond their borders, from Japan, to Korea and Vietnam. And beside that, there are significant Chinese communities in virtually every country in the world. Most major cities have their own China Town, so it's not difficult to find someone to practice the language with.

• Third language: German has always been a part of my life. It has a special place in my heart, so I wouldn't like to forget it, because if I did, I'd be a completely different person. But well, if there's no choice and I had to reset my brain to forget all my memories and feelings, I'd probably learn Russian or maybe Arabic.

All the languages listed above are spoken by 3.5 billion people all around the world, that is nearly half of the world's population. A good investment if you ask me.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 🇮🇹 |

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

The language of love, the language of the heart and the language of compassion. I know they're not really the languages you were talking about it! Just being silly!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

1) Chinese - the language of the new world superpower
2) English - "modern Latin", the language widely taught all over the world
3) Russian - the language of the country thanks to which my nation was not wiped out during the WWII as Germans planned

buho

Post by buho »

where I live, almost everyone is trilingual. and my native language is spoken by very few people(which means it isn't taught). so, I'd be unable to learn any other language if your hypothetical scenario were to happen. :p

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

English, Chinese, and Arabic

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

buho wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:05 am

where I live, almost everyone is trilingual. and my native language is spoken by very few people(which means it isn't taught). so, I'd be unable to learn any other language if your hypothetical scenario were to happen. :p

you can't just say that and not tell what your language is :roll:

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

As a Dutch speaking Belgian, three foreign languages are barely enough to talk to the neighbors. Brussels takes 40 min and Paris takes 90 min by train, travelling to London or Cologne takes about twice as much time. My quotum is exhausted with only French, English and German.
I would need to ditch my Spanish and all of the DL courses.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

I also have a problem with only 3 foreign languages. Hebrew is my native language, and French was my mother's native language. Arabic and Russian are needed for speaking with the neighbours. I recently became a citizen of Portugal, so I need Portuguese. That's already 4, and I would have to ditch English and Spanish. :shock:
If I move to Portugal now that I'm a citizen, maybe I could ditch Arabic and Russian, and keep French, Portuguese, and probably Spanish because of the neighbours, but then I would still have to ditch English. :shock:

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

EranBarLev wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:32 am

I recently became a citizen of Portugal, so I need Portuguese.

Que legal. Você é descendente de judeus sefarditas?

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Well, when it comes to my favorite languages, I can say that:

• Russian has always been my favorite language and I think I understand it well, hehe ;)

• I have liked French since high school and I would like to speak it fluently. I really like French songs.

• Esperanto is very dear to me because it comes from Poland and it is an easy language, I recommend it to everyone!

I will also say that I like learning new languages and every now and then I add a new one to learn at least the basics of the added language, but sometimes I get hooked and I go further with them ....

in Polish:
Trudno ograniczyć się tylko do trzech języków, bo oprócz tych, które wymieniłam, to język angielski jest językiem uniwersalnym i znanym w całym świecie.
Chciałabym, też znać dobrze języki moich sąsiadów, bo zawsze mogą się przydać ... np w czasie wycieczki, czy wakacji w danym kraju, hehe! :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Explorer wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:29 am
EranBarLev wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:32 am

I recently became a citizen of Portugal, so I need Portuguese.

Que legal. Você é descendente de judeus sefarditas?

Sim, do lado da minha mãe.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Too bad I already know English... it would have been great to just learn it out of the blue. Why English? For the same reasons already given by @Explorer.

Without having to give it any thoughts, Russian would definitely be my second option, but contrary to English, which I chose for it's practicality (though I definitely like it and enjoy it), this one comes from the very bottom of my heart: I have loved this language since forever. Just listening to it makes my happy.

My third language would have to be Brazilian Portuguese, such a sexy language!

We should all try to convince the genie to let us have two more languages! I would then add Italian and Korean :)

In real life, I am closer to Italian becoming my third language because I have already finished the Duolingo course, so I just need to add vocabulary and to have lots of practice. Being a Romance language Portuguese will be my fourth language once I finish the course. Regarding Russian, well, I don't know if I'll actually ever learn it, but I am sure enjoying the little I'm learning.

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

gmads wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:13 am

I have to agree. The sexiest language on earth. Difícil não se apaixonar perdidamente duma linda garota que fala com sotaque brasileiro 😍

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:35 am
gmads wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:13 am

I have to agree. The sexiest language on earth. Difícil não se apaixonar perdidamente duma linda garota que fala com sotaque brasileiro 😍

Totalmente certo! Sem dúvida! :)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:10 pm

The language of love, the language of the heart and the language of compassion. I know they're not really the languages you were talking about it! Just being silly!

Following your example... I'd love to learn the language of music, of math, and... although I would need to think it over a bit, maybe it could be that of chess :)

buho

Post by buho »

LICA98 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:04 pm
buho wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:05 am

you can't just say that and not tell what your language is :roll:

sorry for not clarifying mate. it's a Himalayan dialect.

ararat-tempest
St Helena

Post by ararat-tempest »

I'll choose English, Japanese, Norwegian, Greenlandic (Kalaallisuut) without retaining my native language, Chinese.
tbh, I'm kinda fed up with places full of people. If possible, I want to live in Greenland, Pitcairn Islands or Falkland Islands.
I was major in Japanese during my university era, and I've been watching animes for over two decades. So there's always a special place in my heart for Japanese.
As for Norwegian, I'm a metalhead and I love black metal. Need I explain more? :twisted:

native: 🇨🇳 a teacher of: 🇺🇸🇯🇵 primary: 🇳🇴🇩🇰🇸🇪🇫🇮🇮🇩🇳🇱🇭🇹🇪🇸🇧🇷🇮🇹🇻🇳🇫🇷Image secondary: 🇰🇷🇹🇷🇨🇿ImageImage planned: ImageImage🇪🇪🇮🇸🇫🇴🇱🇨🇨🇼🇿🇦🇹🇱🇱🇺🇰🇮🇲🇾🇸🇰🇲🇪🇧🇦🇷🇸🇭🇷🇬🇱

Return to “Random Thoughts”