Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Male voices using female forms and vice versa - deliberate?

Moderator: HeyMarlana

vasjugan
Germany

Male voices using female forms and vice versa - deliberate?

Post by vasjugan »

I'm always slightly irritated, when I hear a female voice on Duolingo saying something like "я був" and a male voice using the female form such as "я прочитала". I wonder if this is done deliberaty to raise awareness of gender fluidity or just the duolingo algorithm that is agnostic of gendered verb forms and randomly assigns voices.

For learning, this is suboptimal. When voices sometimes uses the male and sometimes the female form regardless of the apparent gender of the voice, intuitively grasping the meaning of these endings, namely that they are gender markers, is made more difficult. That goes against the Duolingo idea of learning languages without studying grammar (which for me does not work anyway. For me Ukrainian grammar seems easy because I already speak Russian and learned some Polish, but else, if starting from scratch, I'd find it rather difficult)

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Re: Male voices using female forms and vice versa - deliberate?

Post by Enzfj2 »

Somewhere in the now-closed Duolingo forum I read that (in theory) there is an option in the Duo engine to specify the voice as male, female or kid's. But it should be set manually for each sentence, otherwise it's random. However I don't hear any special conformity even in the most elaborated courses, such as French, Spanish or German from English. Especially for French, where often masculine, feminine and/or plural forms sound identical, and sometimes not all possible answers are accepted.

vasjugan
Germany

Re: Male voices using female forms and vice versa - deliberate?

Post by vasjugan »

Enzfj2 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:57 pm

Somewhere in the now-closed Duolingo forum I read that (in theory) there is an option in the Duo engine to specify the voice as male, female or kid's. But it should be set manually for each sentence, otherwise it's random. However I don't hear any special conformity even in the most elaborated courses, such as French, Spanish or German from English. Especially for French, where often masculine, feminine and/or plural forms sound identical, and sometimes not all possible answers are accepted.

What's more, the intonation is also missing. Questions are not pronouced as questions (with a rising intonation).

Return to “Ukrainian”