Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[Poll] Do you still read books?

Do you read books to learn languages?

Yes, I love reading physical books

74%

Yes, but I only read eBooks

10%

No, I read everything online

16%

Total votes: 31

Explorer
Portugal

[Poll] Do you still read books?

Post by Explorer »

Reading is essential in learning a foreign language. It improves your vocabulary, grammar and writing skills. What do you like reading about? Do you still read physical books?

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

IceVajal
Germany

Re: [Poll] Do you still read books?

Post by IceVajal »

Absolutely! I prefer to have a physical copy of a book, but I read news online, so I have a mix of languages - and points of view.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

buho

Post by buho »

there isn't a fourth option: no, I don't read books.

I don't read books now because of time constraints. but I do read newspapers(printed versions) daily.

Deleted User 114

Post by Deleted User 114 »

I love reading! I enjoy reading physical books a lot more than ebooks, though I do read a good amount of ebooks also. I don’t like to spend money, and some books can be expensive, so libraries are wonderful! :)

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

To improve my French, I bought two books that I already owned physically as ebooks.
When I read at night, an ebook has the advantage that I don't have to turn on the light. With foreign books, I just press on a word I don't understand and often get a description in the language I'm reading. That's often enough for me to understand and keep on reading. If not, I have an online dictionary at hand.

When reading in the garden, I prefer to have a physical book in my hand.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

I love reading paper books and nothing can replace them.

I can take such a book with me everywhere (to the end of the world, where there is no electricity and no civilization) - I can always reach for it and read it!

Ebooks, I also read and listen to audiobooks, but I prefer old books from the library! hehe :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

For pleasure, I enjoy reading physical books. I tend to call into the library when I pass it and have a quick look through the "new additions" section first - that way I also get a more random choice of things by random authors, rather than just looking for new stuff by authors I am already familiar with.

It would be a shame if my local library closed. I could easily get books elsewhere, but I probably just wouldn't get around to it very often.

I tend to get my news, current affairs and articles online, unless I'm on a train or something - then I'll sometimes read a newspaper. :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

I see some old schoolers here. Despite the advent of eBooks, there's still something magical about the tactility of a physical book, the feel of the pages, the weight of the paper. I really enjoy those little things. And I know it sounds crazy, but I also enjoy the smell. The first thing I do when I buy a new book is too smell it. Yeah, I know... Am I the only one? :lol:

My love for books is given by my father, who works at the Spanish National Library. Thanks to that I had the privilege to see and read all kinds of books. From medieval treatises to unreleased best sellers, and even forbidden drafts that never saw the light of day. I've seen the handwriting of kings and the signatures that started and ended wars. I've seen letters by Christopher Columbus and hand-drawn sketches in notebooks that belonged to some of the greatest masters of Renaissance.

Izabela

Post by Izabela »

Explorer wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:25 pm

I see some old schoolers here. Despite the advent of eBooks, there's still something magical about the tactility of a physical book, the feel of the pages, the weight of the paper. I really enjoy those little things. And I know it sounds crazy, but I also enjoy the smell. The first thing I do when I buy a new book is too smell it. Yeah, I know... Am I the only one? :lol:

My love for books is given by my father, who works at the Spanish National Library. Thanks to that I had the privilege to see and read all kinds of books. From medieval treatises to unreleased best sellers, and even forbidden drafts that never saw the light of day. I've seen the handwriting of kings and the signatures that started and ended wars. I've seen letters by Christopher Columbus and hand-drawn sketches in notebooks that belonged to some of the greatest masters of Renaissance.

My mother was a librarian and my father loved to read books. I learned to read before going to school because when my mom read children's books to me, I sat beside and followed along to her reading the story out loud to me.

I do a lot of reading, though for many years I somewhat lost the ability to read full-length books, but that's been coming back to me some and I have managed to start and completely read a few books by reading from them as a final activity before turning off the lights and going to sleep.

I do have a love for the way large collections of books smell, whether libraries or bookstores. There is a kind of magic in many books, whether fiction or non-fiction. I've been lucky to have its magic bless my life in the ways that magic has done so.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

no I only read forums and social media

Deleted User 114

Post by Deleted User 114 »

The first thing I do when I buy a new book is too smell it. Yeah, I know... Am I the only one? :lol:

And I thought I was the only one who did that. :D

Wow, very interesting!

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Jacko079 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:47 am

The first thing I do when I buy a new book is too smell it. Yeah, I know... Am I the only one? :lol:

And I thought I was the only one who did that. :D

We could create a club of book tasters. Nothing in the world smells like that. I love the smell of books in the morning :lol:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Hi, I have an interesting place for library lovers. :)

Honestly, I haven't been there yet :( ... but someday I'll try to go there and see this CUDO!!! ;)

Experience The Walker Library of Human Imagination

A look inside the impressive library of Priceline founder Jay Walker

Jay Walker: A library of human imagination

The power of imagination: Jay Walker on the fuel for innovation

.... życzę miłych chwil ... :)

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

LICA98 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:44 pm

no I only read forums and social media

The spelin and grandma on soshal mejia are shocking.

I love the smell and feel of real books

John661162

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I love the smell of coffee or tea while reading a book . Does that count?

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Meli578588 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:26 pm

I love the smell of coffee or tea while reading a book . Does that count?

I also enjoy a cup of coffee while reading a good book. Portuguese love coffee. We import every year tons of coffee beans from Brazil and Angola, we roast them here, and produce the best of the best beverages in the world. I'm not exaggerating! :D

My parents sent me this a few days ago:

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

I also like a good cup of coffee when reading. Or a Mate.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

How lovely. What a beautiful bag of coffee. 🙂

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

[mention]Meli578588[/mention], sounds like you are a caffeine junkie like me! 😂

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I love books! There's nothing like a good solid book. I read books regularly although I also read a lot on the screen as well. I usually read books that are either uploaded as pdfs or the pages have been scanned so they are still booklike.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

IceVajal wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:33 pm

Oh, wow - I just looked up "Mate". I've seen it on sale now and then in a few cafes and places iaround the UK, but I didn't know it was made from "Yerba mate". I've never tried it, but I had assumed it was just "normal" tea or maybe coffee with extra stuff added.

I'll give it a try next time I come across it, just for science! :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(drink)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Coffee and tea. 🙂

My mom in Italy grew up on coffee and biscotti for breakfast.

So, always coffee , coffee beans , coffee ice cream.

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

A bit off topic..... I visited Argentina in the mid-90s and fell in love with Mate! For years a friend from Brazil got me the real deal, coz just lately you get good quality Mate here in Germany. But I found a online shop (located in Poland) which has the original Mate from Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil. Roasted ones, flavoured ones and everything else.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

I drink Yerba Mate from time to time. I used to drink more (na studiach) when I was studying at night for an important exam.

I have a supply of Yerba Mate, a nice calabash and a bombilla. ;)

"Tykwa ~ calabash" is a special vessel for preparing and drinking infusions, while the "bombilla" is a drinking tube equipped with a filter.

(in Polish)
Yerba Mate

Dodam jeszcze , że teraz czasem piję Yerba Mate w nocy.
..... jak mnie książka wciągnie i nie mogę się od niej oderwać, bo coś ciekawego się dzieje! hehe :)

Izabela

Post by Izabela »

IceVajal wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:33 pm

Here's to coffee and a good book.

Attachments
finnish mug.jpg
finnish mug.jpg (271.44 KiB) Viewed 804 times
IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

[mention]Dana_Dany Danuta[/mention] , I have a special thermos-to-go type for my mate with bombilla included.

https://www.matemundo.de/product-ger-91 ... hwarz.html

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

[mention]IceVajal[/mention], I do not have such a thermos, but I think I will buy it, because I will be able to take it with me to every outdoor meeting! :)

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:57 pm

@IceVajal, I do not have such a thermos, but I think I will buy it, because I will be able to take it with me to every outdoor meeting! :)

I love this one! I take it with me all day. I also buy my Mate there. Good quality and fast delivery.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

IceVajal wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:15 pm
Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:57 pm

@IceVajal, I do not have such a thermos, but I think I will buy it, because I will be able to take it with me to every outdoor meeting! :)

I love this one! I take it with me all day. I also buy my Mate there. Good quality and fast delivery.

Thank you very much for informing about this thermos. 🙂

This is a great and practical thing!

Return to “Random Thoughts”