Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Prevent skipping?

Tips and tricks ...

c_renfrow524
United States of America

Prevent skipping?

Post by c_renfrow524 »

Can I prevent duolingo from skipping lessons? I know very little about the Japanese language, but it just skipped the entire Unit 2 and Unit 3 because I could answer a few hiragana characters. This does not mean I know how to say words like I should have learned in those units. Do I have to remove Japanese to reset, and will this remove me from the leaderboards? Then do I have to make sure to get stuff incorrect to prevent skipping?

I am using the web browser version.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Re: Prevent skipping?

Post by Gentianopsis »

How about studying in the good old Duolingo as you used to do? https://www-internal.duolingo.com/learn (the old tree) and https://www-internal.duolingo.com/stories (stories) Unfortunately, it is based and running on Duolingo data and it is solely up to them whether and when they block that (so far, they blocked just some functions like access to the shop), but for learning it still works well and you will not be forced to skip any lessons there.

c_renfrow524
United States of America

Post by c_renfrow524 »

I actually enjoy the way the new tree is laid out, I just don't want to skip lessons. That is why I do not use my android version anymore.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

c_renfrow524 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:59 am

I actually enjoy the way the new tree is laid out, I just don't want to skip lessons.

In that case, just start enjoying skipping lessons too, because the "snake" is programmed to think that it is smarter than you and it will always decide everything for you. That is why I hate it and why I am happy that I can still study the old way.

c_renfrow524
United States of America

Post by c_renfrow524 »

Ok, sounds like you don't like it. That is fine. Anyone else able to help me with this?

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

I am not sure which language pair you are learning.

And - I support you [mention]c_renfrow524[/mention]

Also, I do not know if I can help you. I do recommend you take time to read the guidelines/tips/hints that Duo provides for the course you are studying.

Yet - I would love to see the Duo course allow learners to have greater control also over their learning. For many of us, we are learning from various other sources, and also for many other reasons. Sometimes it is also to pass a special test set in a school environment. Or, for some to negotiate a real life situation that is coming up, or has been experienced. Or for educators, to assist a learner in an area they see the student may be struggling with.

That is why I also seek to share the resources I create for English speakers learning French. The language pair I am most interested in.

I do hope others may assist you in a more relevant way with you query. I am glad you are in our community and adding to learning, by asking good questions.

c_renfrow524
United States of America

Post by c_renfrow524 »

Thank you!
My path is I know English and I am learning Japanese.
I am using a few things which is why I assume it had me skip ahead. The problem is I would prefer to do all lessons even if it is just for review. Hopefully they one day take this into consideration and allow people to turn off skipping lessons.
I am really just learning it for my own fun an gaining more knowledge... I have no real need for a second language but it never hurts to learn new things in life.
Thank you for the welcoming words, I will try to stay active on the boards and maybe I can provide insight as I find my own path.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]c_renfrow524[/mention] I wonder is this something this new path does, or did you test out of something? The new path is an unknown factor at present for most of us and I am using the old tree still through workarounds. You can still click on individual stones and do some practice although it is minimal. Maybe strengthen will help you with the missing pieces? The reviews should identify you don't know the material and help you practice it. Of course that won't fix you missing the lessons. I wish Duolingo had rewind, but then it would be abused which is why we don't have it.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

c_renfrow524
United States of America

Post by c_renfrow524 »

No testing, I was just going step by step doing the 6 practices per lesson. After lesson 2 on Unit 2 it skipped me to the last lesson in Unit 3. Most of the questions up to this point were teaching the Hiragana characters, which I had learned while on a mobile app.
I could see it skipping a couple lessons but all of unit 3 was teaching greetings that I now missed. The reviews aren't nearly as good as the lessons either...
Oh well, guess I will just keep going through the reviews to learn the words that it skipped. Maybe throw a few wrong answers on purpose to prevent skipping.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

This is a total stab in the dark by me, and especially as you are so early on in the course.

Would you prepared to consider the value of resetting your course ?

Here is the support advice provided by Duolingo on how to do this :

https://support.duolingo.com/hc/en-us/a ... to confirm.

And - if you have ANY queries on how Duolingo explains how to do this - if you are prepared to do this - I will do what I can to assist.

For real learning - I think there is great value in resetting the course you are really seeking to learn.
And I do this regularly for other Duolingo accounts I have, rather than my main one. I use my main Duolingo account to create resources and get an understanding of a course. And use this information to assist and give independent access to units that are of interest to myself.

Please, keep asking questions. And hopefully people will continue offering helpful and supportive suggestions.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Give me more time (it might be a week ? ) I will try to review my summary of the course for English speakers learning Japanese.
It might be that they will review the greetings unit again later in the new course "path" structure.

Though, this is also a challenge for the history of the Duolingo courses. And due also to this considerable restructuring of how all its courses are taught.
Sorry if I am not being clear. For I am sure I am not being clear.

And - if you give me some more time to respond, this may also be of interest to others learning other courses, especially for ones with different alphabets to English.

c_renfrow524
United States of America

Post by c_renfrow524 »

I have actually already deleted and restarted the course. It kept the leaderboards and learned characters just restarted the progress on the lessons.
I will work through the lessons again and see if it skips like it did or if that was a wonky fluke.
I don't mind restarting to ensure I can learn the language properly as that is the actual goal, not leaderboards and completing the path at record speed. It is Japanese after all, and they say it will take 2200 class room hours to learn... I'm in it for the long haul.
No rush, you are being very helpful. I appreciate it.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Preliminary draft report for when words are introduced for the current Japanese for English speakers course in the new path format, as available as at today to my account.
Please also note - there are other things I wish to share that may be relevant to some learners.
Thank you for your patience in producing this report, and getting back to you.
More info / details to follow, but it might take another week.

Also I suggest checking out this excellent resource : viewtopic.php?t=8519-japanese-from-engl ... a-90-units

For the Japanese for English speakers course, new words/phrases introduced.

see : viewtopic.php?p=36490-90-units-words-in ... rse#p36490

Return to “How to ...”