Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Is this person a fake/Bot or a gambler?

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

lord

Is this person a fake/Bot or a gambler?

Post by lord »

Link deleted

She gets almost only 40/80 XP. In a very short time, for example 39 seconds, mostly cca 90 seconds. She does lessons only rarely, most of the time she does only some exercises or what and gets 40/80 xp. Only to see her own name at the first place on Sunday?? Is this not waste of time?

How can I do one tast in 39 seconds if I dont use a script? To start a lesson takes a few seconds, then do the lessons and in the end wait for upload.

Thanks

Moderation remark
Please, note the Terms:

You agree not to post any […] slanderous, …

Last edited by eI000yo on Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
buho

Re: Is this person a fake/Bot or a gambler?

Post by buho »

here's me doing it under 1 minute:

(36s)

proof.png
proof.png (62.14 KiB) Viewed 2011 times

(49s)

proof~1.png
proof~1.png (61.25 KiB) Viewed 2011 times

had I done these practice lessons with double xp boost, I'd have gotten 80xp under 1 minute
In 15 minutes(one double xp boost), you can score 700-800xp easily.

so, it's not fake. but it isn't best way to learn either.

lord

Post by lord »

im not a plus user, so i cant get double xp for this type of exercise. so she spends one hour or more daily only to get fast 2000 xp in one hour just only to be the first. she learns nothing of course this way. and this happens almost every week. there are so many such people. i think duolingo should close the leagues because it is not ethical, it supports gambling. Or do such people feel happy if they do this to other users who dont have Plus?
So the more I learn the more time that lady wastes because of me.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I am wondering what you mean by "gambling"?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Want to bet?

John661162

buho

Post by buho »

lord wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:42 pm

so she spends one hour or more daily only to get fast 2000 xp in one hour just only to be the first. she learns nothing of course this way. and this happens almost every week.

I agree that this isn't a good way to learn a language.

i think duolingo should close the leagues because it is not ethical, it supports gambling.

they won't. if anything, they'd (and they are) gamify it even more. Because that keeps users hooked. and that in turn gives Duolingo revenue(by ads), and data(which can then be sold, or used internally for all purposes).

Or do such people feel happy if they do this to other users who dont have Plus?
So the more I learn the more time that lady wastes because of me.

I don't think so. I've seen my friends really getting into this gotta get XP frenzy a lot as being on top of the league gives them that dopamine hit. I don't think she's purposefully doing it to make others feel bad.

as a final suggestion, don't worry too much about going up or down in leagues. remember why you're on Duolingo.
XPs and medals won't mean anything if you can't converse well.

lord

Post by lord »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:54 pm

I am wondering what you mean by "gambling"?

when somebody is on duolingo not to learn but to collect xps the easiest way (for expample practicing the first diamond levels with double xp, or the brief 40XP challenges that plus users have) to be at the first place on sunday.

lord

Post by lord »

She finally failed! Because of the time change.
She didnt notice that after the time change at sunday night the league ends now one hour earlier. She made a distance (or margin??) from me of a few hundreds XP and left. So later in the evening I was doing my lessons silently without overtaking her because I assumed that after overtaking she will receive message about it and then she will make another easy fast exercises to be the first again. Shortly before 9pm I overtook her from my mobile phone and after only a few seconds she got online and straight away she sent another xps. But I also sent straigt away another xps from the almost finished lesson which I prepared in my tablet and was waiting with the uploading of the results till the league end. And then the league ended and I was the first again :-D
She didnt do anything more that day. And this week is completely different. She makes less XPs in total from monday till today than in only one single day of last week.

lord

Post by lord »

another week with another lady. Her streak is almost 2000. But what is interesting is that she does every day the same. At least in last 15 days (I cant see more history at this site). She does only the first few diamond crown repetitions in turkish and swedish with double xp. Every day.

Last edited by lord on Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 3754

Post by Deleted User 3754 »

Last edited by Deleted User 3754 on Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

Look at the raw data of the top name of the 'Crowns Hall of Fame': each separate line looks quite normal, like some 2-3 minutes from the previous one, but!
It goes round the clock, without any significant breaks, from 2022-11-13 17:06 until now (2022-11-14 14:09), with some breaks from Nov. 2 to 13, and then back non-stop as far as raw data are available (2022-11-02 00:40—2022-10-31 06:15)
The only way I can imagine is that's a team of several people under the same account, but the reason of such behaviour is far out of my comprehension.

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

lord wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:42 am

She finally failed! Because of the time change.
She didnt notice [...] makes less XPs in total from monday till today than in only one single day of last week.

I fully understand what you feel. My advice is to make your profile private and forget about leagues. You're wasting your time.

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Enzfj2[/mention] A team of people trying to win a place in a league? I wonder if they are doing it for that, or if there is a situation where there is only one device but multiple people who want to use that device and instead of having separate accounts they use one account?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Enzfj2
Ukraine

Post by Enzfj2 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:49 am

@Enzfj2 A team of people trying to win a place in a league? I wonder if they are doing it for that, or if there is a situation where there is only one device but multiple people who want to use that device and instead of having separate accounts they use one account?

Some lessons were done just in a few seconds, some even in 0 (zero), so it cannot be a single device.

lord

Post by lord »

maybe a few browser windows with a robot script

Jaggleberry

Post by Jaggleberry »

I've been wondering if some people are developing scripts or training AI using DuoLingo. I've seen people in my league getting 18,000+ xp per day, which I figured was either multiple people or someone training an AI or something.

Return to “Duolingo”