Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Aorist Topic is solved

MarjanZahedi

Aorist

Post by MarjanZahedi »

He changes car every year. Duo says: o her yıl araba değiştirir. Why not arabayı? In all other practices in this lesson with Değiştirir, it’s accusative. Duo giysilerini her saat değiştirir. Ben sık sık telefonumu değiştiririm.
So why it is giysilerini, telefonumu?
Teşekkürler

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

DmGabin

Re: Aorist

Post by DmGabin »

Because it is a(nother) car every next year. It is not the car.

MarjanZahedi

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Thank you for your reply but still I don’t understand what is the difference between changing car with phone or dress!

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

O.Zoe
Greece

Post by O.Zoe »

MarjanZahedi wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:42 pm

He changes car every year. Duo says: o her yıl araba değiştirir. Why not arabayı?

We are not talking about a specific car in this sentence, because as DmGabin said, it's a different (unspecified) car every year.

---

MarjanZahedi wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:42 pm

In all other practices in this lesson with Değiştirir, it’s accusative. Duo giysilerini her saat değiştirir. Ben sık sık telefonumu değiştiririm.

In those examples, we have a possessive suffix - giysilerini (his clothes), telefonumu (my telephone). The use of a possessive suffix makes the object specific. We're not talking about clothes in general, but about Duo's clothes (the clothes of Duo). My telephone is the telephone that belongs to me, i.e. a specific phone. So, when you use a possessive suffix in an object, then you need to add accusative case, too.

🇬🇷 N :gb: C1 :de: B1 :it: A1

MarjanZahedi

Post by MarjanZahedi »

Thank you O. Zoe for your great explanation.

🇮🇷 🇺🇸 🇹🇷

Return to “Turkish”