Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Calculating crowns with the new path

This is for Duome related issues only, about the Progress pages, about the Forum itself.
ATTENTION : For Duolingo issues, write to Duolingo support.

TheChronotope
Great Britain

Calculating crowns with the new path

Post by TheChronotope »

Now that both my desktop and mobile have the new path version, I notice that I've actually lost crowns on my Duome stats. Is this normal? Sometimes my crowns will jump in number, according to how many sections of the new units I complete. My main question is: Will Duome be calculating crowns from now on, based on some equivalent activity in the new path? If so, how will (does) it work? Will the new sidebar stats or analytics in Duome (where the owl appears) be able to tell me what percentage of the course has been completed?

Thank you, [mention]duome[/mention] !

PS That's my question, but I do need to rant. As a language instructor, I tried to be open to the possibilities of spaced repetition in the new path version but ultimately find it tedious, prescriptive, infantilizing, and less motivating. What bothers me most, however, is that the new version of the site is really designed to monetize everything, and to make you feel that you are missing out for not upgrading to Super Duolingo, when, in fact, the benefits of the paid model are really geared more toward helping you accrue XP and feed a gaming addiction, rather than to helping you learn the language more effectively. (The practice hub is not "personalized." It's just a rote (and irritating) review of missed questions, rather an AI-smart approach offering practice challenges that reflect the linguistic structure or confusion that led to your error.) As it is, the new free version limits how much you can learn, because the more "advanced" levels are now behind an overpriced paywall of gems or lingots. It's so disappointing. Something about this occurring during a recession, when the cost of everything has gone up, makes it feel almost suffocating.

TheChronotope
Great Britain

Re: Calculating crowns with the new path

Post by TheChronotope »

PS Any observations from your experiences with crowns? Or am I the only one who prefers crowns over XP as benchmarks of progress?

For example, when I "jump" a level in the path on a language I spoke before Duolingo, I can gain anywhere between 3–10 crowns. When I re-completed the Spanish course on the path, I accrued several hundred crowns. Sometimes there is a 1:1 correspondence between a completed circle in a unit on the path (say, 5 lessons) and a crown, but not always. All of this puzzles and entertains me more than I'd care to admit. :) Thoughts welcome, @duome! Thank you all.

Return to “Troubleshooting Duome”