Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How to Use Sentence Discussions

Duolingo sentence discussions that don't yet have any replies

greg34bg
Spain

Re: How to Use Sentence Discussions

Post by greg34bg »

Is it possible to have the "duome" button on the desktop web version on the mobile? I wanted to try it but I don't see it possible to make step 3. on the phone (installing the userscript). Is this button only thought for PC-s/computers/windows?

🇧🇬🇪🇦🇬🇧🇫🇷🇫🇮🇷🇺

Ady
Canada

Post by Ady »

luo-ning wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:26 am

Note: To report bugs, make sure you're on at least v0.1.18, then press Alt+Shift+R from inside the relevant Duolingo challenge with the browser extension installed and enabled, then follow the instructions in the prompt.

I just reread and noticed this.

I been making comments on a lot of (maybe 40 or so) sentence/passage discussions I generated to the effect of 'This is not the passage I clicked the button for.', but I'm glad to now know there's a better way to report errors!

(When the error happens, by the way, which is maybe 30% of the time, it's almost always for the question/sentence/passage I'm going to get next instead of the one I am one when I press the button.)

Thanks again for making this!

Ne estas facila esti verda. :mrgreen: :star:

Ady
Canada

Post by Ady »

greg34bg wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:10 pm

Is it possible to have the "duome" button on the desktop web version on the mobile? I wanted to try it but I don't see it possible to make step 3. on the phone (installing the userscript). Is this button only thought for PC-s/computers/windows?

I think doing anything like this for the DuoLingo mobile app would be difficult or impossible:

• partly because a mobile app is a stand-alone program, which would mean needing to access the memory used by the program, or use some kind of screen reader utility

• partly because mobile apps/programs in particular are very locked-down (at least on a non-rooted phone), so the memory access and screen reading options I just mentioned are more difficult than they would be on a real computer, and may be just be impossible (for security reasons)

Something like the browser extension and script should be doable for using DuoLingo website through a mobile browser, though.

Ady
Canada

Post by Ady »

Ady wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:43 am
luo-ning wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:26 am

Note: To report bugs, make sure you're on at least v0.1.18, then press Alt+Shift+R from inside the relevant Duolingo challenge with the browser extension installed and enabled, then follow the instructions in the prompt.

I just reread and noticed this.

I been making comments on a lot of (maybe 40 or so) sentence/passage discussions I generated to the effect of 'This is not the passage I clicked the button for.', but I'm glad to now know there's a better way to report errors!

(When the error happens, by the way, which is maybe 30% of the time, it's almost always for the question/sentence/passage I'm going to get next instead of the one I am one when I press the button.)

Thanks again for making this!

OK, so I just tried to do proper reporting on one of these wrong-passage (wrong-'sentence') errors, and to repeat what I wrote in that thread (viewtopic.php?p=35898-se-vi-ŝovus-la-ma ... -eo#p35898):
"Well, I downloaded the log at least, but have not uploaded it anywhere yet.
I think it's pretty unlikely that most DuoMe users have GitHub accounts, by the way, so having that be a requirement to report any bugs may not be the best way to capture issues."

So let's say someone downloads a log file but doesn't have a way to upload it to GitHub. Is there anyone else it can be sent?

Aside: I checked the log file just to make sure it actually contains the passage I was actually on in DuoLingo as well as the passage that appeared in the DuoMe thread that was created from it, so the mismatch could be seen. Well it does contain both, but also a bunch of other sentences. I can only hope that the way it's generated does make it obvious what the passage the thread should have been created for, and what passage it was created for by mistake.

Ady
Canada

Post by Ady »

Separate issue, and not sure if this is the right place to put it (and I think I wrote this elsewhere too), but:

It would be really nice if passage/'sentence' discussion thread titles:

• always used the sentence in the language DuoLingo was asking it be translated from
    (and not just always in the language being taught by the course, as they are currently title, resulting in duplicates and confusion)

• even included an indicator at the beginning or the end specifying the translation direction asked for (e.g. "EN-to--EO" or "EO-to-EN", for English to Esperanto or Esperanto to English respectively)

It would also be rice if the original passage/'sentence' posts:

• included a link to the DuoMe thread for the discussion for the translation of the same sentence in the opposite direction (which, yes, would require creating these threads in pairs, i.e. creating both threads when someone triggers creating one via the button)

greg34bg
Spain

Post by greg34bg »

Ady wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:23 pm

Something like the browser extension and script should be doable for using DuoLingo website through a mobile browser, though.

That's exactly where I wasn't able to manage to get the duome button - on the website through a mobile browser. Can somebody please figure out how It should work? apparently it's still different from a computer, even being on a website...

🇧🇬🇪🇦🇬🇧🇫🇷🇫🇮🇷🇺

greg34bg
Spain

Post by greg34bg »

Can somebody explain what's wrong with the DUOME button in the sentences?
Since I had the last update from Duolingo, the new "snake"-seeing lessons instead of the previous "trees", I always get redirected to a completely different sentence. I'm experiencing this doing Guarani from Spanish.
The last example is getting here for this sentence. And weeks before I was redirected to this one instead, where I posted the sentence I wanted to comment.
Can that somehow at some point be fixed?

🇧🇬🇪🇦🇬🇧🇫🇷🇫🇮🇷🇺

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

greg34bg wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:40 pm

Can somebody explain what's wrong with the DUOME button in the sentences?
Since I had the last update from Duolingo, the new "snake"-seeing lessons instead of the previous "trees", I always get redirected to a completely different sentence. I'm experiencing this doing Guarani from Spanish.
The last example is getting here for this sentence. And weeks before I was redirected to this one instead, where I posted the sentence I wanted to comment.
Can that somehow at some point be fixed?

it's been like that for a long time already

and no it can't be fixed as the creator has abandoned the forum apparently :?

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Does anyone have trouble with the sentences directing incorrectly while doing the tree via Duome? Internal.duolingo doesn't work with the extension.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:35 pm

Does anyone have trouble with the sentences directing incorrectly while doing the tree via Duome? Internal.duolingo doesn't work with the extension.

it's nothing to do with internal duolingo as the snake doesn't work with it either

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]LICA98[/mention] I am wondering if this happens however you use Duolingo.com or only via the snake?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:36 pm

@LICA98 I am wondering if this happens however you use Duolingo.com or only via the snake?

well you said yourself that it doesn't work with internal duolingo?

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]LICA98[/mention]

internal.duolingo is a different website to Duolingo.com

I can access duolingo.com via the snake, the new layout, or I can access it with my Duome tree via my tree which links to individual lessons which still can be accessed on Duolingo.com but only if you use the correct links for each lesson.

I am just wondering if the snake layout is affecting the sentence extension or if it happens whichever way it is accessed? :)

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:58 pm

@LICA98

internal.duolingo is a different website to Duolingo.com

I can access duolingo.com via the snake, the new layout, or I can access it with my Duome tree via my tree which links to individual lessons which still can be accessed on Duolingo.com but only if you use the correct links for each lesson.

I am just wondering if the snake layout is affecting the sentence extension or if it happens whichever way it is accessed? :)

well I only use the snake layout and there it doesn't work

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

I figured out how to generate a sentence discussion, then realized that there are 86 pages of unanswered sentence discussions on the forum. :o

The one I generated wasn't one of them, but I'm thinking duplicate sentence discusssions might end up being generated if someone didn't realize that the sentence they want to discuss is already in the unanswered sentence discussions. I don't know how much content the forum can handle, but I imagine it will reach an upper limit at some point some day.

Might it be worthwhile to let forum users know that they could check to see if the sentence they want to discuss is already on the forum before doing what I did and generating a new sentence discussion without checking? They can do it by pasting the exact sentence into the forum search. It could go in the "how to" section.

After looking through the 86 pages of unanswered sentence discussions (no I didn't read every one! :D ), I pasted a sample sentence into the forum search and the relevant unanswered sentence thread came right up. I imagine for some sentences it might bring up irrelevant results, but I'm guessing that the result being looked for will be one of the results that comes up in a search.

Just a thought.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

[mention]JudieLC[/mention], I believe the way it works is that if a second person links to the same sentence, they end up in the topic that was already created, so there should be no duplicates.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Stasia wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:02 am

@JudieLC, I believe the way it works is that if a second person links to the same sentence, they end up in the topic that was already created, so there should be no duplicates.

Are you saying that if someone tried to generate a sentence discussion for a sentence that already has a thread , it won't create a new thread, but will default into the thread already created?

Cause I'm not sure what you mean by a second person linking to the same sentence.

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

JudieLC wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:14 am

Are you saying that if someone tried to generate a sentence discussion for a sentence that already has a thread , it won't create a new thread, but will default into the thread already created?

Cause I'm not sure what you mean by a second person linking to the same sentence.

Yes that's what I mean. Sorry, I turned off my brain today. :D

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Duplicate sentences are quite common. For example:

At one time I used to report them. I don't remember what explanation I was given about why they happen.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

gmads wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:40 am

At one time I used to report them. I don't remember what explanation I was given about why they happen.

Are you sure they’re duplicates on Duolingo? I thought I had spotted duplicates today. The sentences were identical. But when I clicked on the locked discussions, I realized they were the same sentences from different lessons: the discussion linked to each sentence was different.

I think the two sentences you linked are also identical sentences from different lessons.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

JudieLC wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:45 am

Are you sure they’re duplicates on Duolingo? I thought I had spotted duplicates today. The sentences were identical. But when I clicked on the locked discussions, I realized they were the same sentences from different lessons: the discussion linked to each sentence was different.

I think the two sentences you linked are also identical sentences from different lessons.

There's no way to tell which lesson they came from just by looking at them or at the comment thread on Duolingo, therefore, I'd say that all that should matter (from the point of view of Duome's sentence discussion threads) is that they are duplicates.

Antinomy - Imagination

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

gmads wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:19 am

There's no way to tell which lesson they came from just by looking at them or at the comment thread on Duolingo, therefore, I'd say that all that should matter (from the point of view of Duome's sentence discussion threads) is that they are duplicates.

There is. The discussion is different on the two sentence threads. My conclusion is that the sentences came from different lessons that presented the same sentence.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

JudieLC wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:53 pm
gmads wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:19 am

There is. The discussion is different on the two sentence threads. My conclusion is that the sentences came from different lessons that presented the same sentence.

There isn't. My statement was clear and specific: "There's no way to tell which lesson they came from [...]."

Anyway, your original comment was: "but I'm thinking duplicate sentence discussions might end up being generated." As far as I can see, the examples I provided are duplicate sentences, word by word:

A mulher pede café. (en → pt) ≡ A mulher pede café. (en → pt)

Of course, since they come from different Duolingo threads:

viewtopic.php?t=9818-a-mulher-pede-café-en-pt
viewtopic.php?t=9823-a-mulher-pede-café-en-pt

it's clear, or should be clear, that they come from different lessons. Which? Who knows? Is it relevant? I don't think so.

I'd say the script should search the Duome forums for the actual, exact sentence, and also for the address (the so called, URL) of the Duolingo thread. If both exist (here in Duome), then it should do nothing, but if the address is different it should then add it to the original Duome post. This way, there would not be two different threads for the same sentence, there would be just one with as many Duolingo discussion addresses as found.

In the example I previously provided, the 9823 thread would have never been created, and the first post of the 9818 thread would have been modified to look like this:

A mulher pede café. (en → pt)
Post by sentence bot 🤖 » 23.01.23, Mon, 11:01:59

A mulher pede café.
en: The woman orders coffee.

1. Duolingo forum topic: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/28915862

2. Duolingo forum topic: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/28421565

;)

Antinomy - Imagination

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Part of the reason for this is that the extension mainly displays the sentence with one language on top and the other on the bottom. However if you look at the discussions you'll see they are reversed at times. I think [mention]gmads[/mention] idea is great for sentences that go the same direction. It would save doubling up on discussions and give people more tips.

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Sorry, I wrote my post this morning on the way to the doctor and wasn't totally clear.

I didn't mean that you could tell which lesson the discussions were from. When sentence bot creates a thread for a sentence, it also creates a link back to the locked discussion on the Duolingo site, as I'm sure you all know. What I meant to say is that two identical sentences could be generated from different lessons, and you can tell that they are from different lessons because the locked discussions from the Duolingo site for the sentences are totally different. Not reversed. Different comments by a different set of people (or with some overlap, but it's still a different discussion).

Why does it make a difference? The locked discussion connected to one example of the sentence might be more useful to some people than the locked discussion linked to a different example of the sentence. If duplicate sentences created by sentence bot are found on the forum, it might be helpful to consolidate the threads and include a link to both discussions from DL. I think that's what [mention]gmads[/mention] was suggesting, though, to be honest, I kind of lost the drift of what you were trying to say. Sorry!

Can you tell which lesson each example of the sentence is from? Maybe, if you went back over all the relevant lessons, but that would be a waste of time.

As a side note, I've noted that some of the discussions linked to some of the sentences are a total waste of time, as they devolved into arguments or comments irrelevant to learning. Kind of makes me understand why the forums were locked.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

JudieLC wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:40 pm

Sorry, I wrote my post this morning on the way to the doctor and wasn't totally clear.

I hope everything went well, and that you are fine.

If duplicate sentences created by sentence bot are found on the forum, it might be helpful to consolidate the threads and include a link to both discussions from DL. I think that's what @gmads was suggesting, though, to be honest, I kind of lost the drift of what you were trying to say. Sorry!

Yes, that was basically my suggestion. If the script finds two identical sentences, with the same from and to languages, then it should create only one thread, but including both references to the Duolingo threads.

Can you tell which lesson each example of the sentence is from? Maybe, if you went back over all the relevant lessons, but that would be a waste of time.

Almost impossible. Sounds like a nightmare! 😱

The best option would be for students to keep a register of each and every sentence pair in each and every lesson. In fact, this is what I did during my Italian courses (eng→ita; spa→ita) :D

As a side note, I've noted that some of the discussions linked to some of the sentences are a total waste of time, as they devolved into arguments or comments irrelevant to learning. Kind of makes me understand why the forums were locked.

Totally true. I thought the same thing when the forums closed. Yes, there were some excellent posts from very helpful people who provided great information, but the amount of useless and repetitive questions and comments was really overwhelming. Most users didn't even take the time to read through the thread to see if their question had already been answered, they just mindlessly asked and then left. Worse still, many others only wrote nonsense or entries of the "me too" kind :x

Antinomy - Imagination

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

gmads wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:42 am

I hope everything went well, and that you are fine.

Totally fine, thanks. Followup for an ankle fracture from the end of December that happened because I totally took a shortcut I shouldn't have been taking when the grass was icy. :o :P I've graduated from a knee high surgical boot to an ankle brace and I'm supposed to start physical therapy next week. I'll just be glad when I can drive again. I've been more or less stuck in the house for 6 weeks unless someone's available to take me places. (It was my right ankle, no driving allowed in a surgical boot.)

If duplicate sentences created by sentence bot are found on the forum, it might be helpful to consolidate the threads and include a link to both discussions from DL. I think that's what @gmads was suggesting, though, to be honest, I kind of lost the drift of what you were trying to say. Sorry!

Yes, that was basically my suggestion. If the script finds two identical sentences, with the same from and to languages, then it should create only one thread, but including both references to the Duolingo threads.

Great idea!

Almost impossible. Sounds like a nightmare! 😱

The best option would be for students to keep a register of each and every sentence pair in each and every lesson. In fact, this is what I did during my Italian courses (eng→ita; spa→ita) :D

I'm totally impressed that you did that. I'm nowhere near that conscientious. :D

Totally true. I thought the same thing when the forums closed. Yes, there were some excellent posts from very helpful people who provided great information, but the amount of useless and repetitive questions and comments was really overwhelming. Most users didn't even take the time to read through the thread to see if their question had already been answered, they just mindlessly asked and then left. Worse still, many others only wrote nonsense or entries of the "me too" kind :x

All very true.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]JudieLC[/mention] Ouch! :shock:

JudieLC
United States of America

Post by JudieLC »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:56 pm

@JudieLC Ouch! :shock:

Was that a reaction to the fractured ankle? ;)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@JudieLC Yes! That sounds bad! Makes me think I better be careful when walking too!

Return to “Unanswered Sentence Discussions”