Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

in search of some advice of using articles

ant54rus

in search of some advice of using articles

Post by ant54rus »

Hello. I'm an English learner and have got a question. I'll be grateful if you don't go past and help me. My question is about using articles. Imagine a situation where you have a broken thing, for instanse a laptop, and asking a support for help. Assume you need to choose between two statements:

1. ... I have a broken laptop ...

2. ... I have the broken laptop ...

In this situation, from my point of view, I have a definite thing - my laptop. On the other hand, a support man doesn't know about it at all. So, how would you say? What is the more proper way to say that?

Thank you so much for your answers.

John238922
Australia

Re: in search of some advice of using articles

Post by John238922 »

Does this help?

I have a broken laptop [that I want to speak to you about].

I have the broken laptop [that I have spoken to you about].

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Hello [mention]ant54rus[/mention] and welcome;

This is not the right subforum to ask this kind of questions. What's your native language? You may also want to ask other people to help you in your own language.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 🇮🇹 |

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

[mention]Explorer[/mention] and [mention]ant54rus[/mention] - I moved this topic from Duome requests to I speak English: Discussions, I think it might fit here better.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

ant54rus wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:02 am

Hello. I'm an English learner and have got a question. I'll be grateful if you don't go past and help me. My question is about using articles. Imagine a situation where you have a broken thing, for instanse a laptop, and asking a support for help. Assume you need to choose between two statements:

1. ... I have a broken laptop ...

2. ... I have the broken laptop ...

In this situation, from my point of view, I have a definite thing - my laptop. On the other hand, a support man doesn't know about it at all. So, how would you say? What is the more proper way to say that?

Thank you so much for your answers.

"I have a broken laptop" is the correct phrase here when you are speaking to a support engineer who hasn't dealt with that laptop before.

Once he/she has started dealing with the laptop then you can can say 'the laptop' or 'my laptop' when referring to it again.

You are correct in recognising that even though your laptop is a definite thing to you, to the engineer it's non-definite to begin with.

Return to “Discussions”