Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

A little frustrated with a couple of exercises involving “weinig”. Is there an explanation?

Moderator: Basler Biker

Vsladariu
United Arab Emirates

A little frustrated with a couple of exercises involving “weinig”. Is there an explanation?

Post by Vsladariu »

Hi there!

I hit upon two sentences using “weinig”

Je eet weinig aardbeien
Ik heb weinig katten

In both cases, the only correct answer I can form is “I do not … many …” (these show up as a “compose” exercise where I need to pick up words to form the answer)

I went into the sentence discussions for each of them . One has a long thread which is now locked from which sorts out through the difference between “few” and “a few” and as far as I can understand, confirms that “few” is a correct translation

So why does “few” not show up as an option in my exercise?
Is it because of a bug in the way those answer components are generated?
Is it because “not … many” is a better translation than “few”?
Is “not … many” preferred because there are cases where “few” would not work in the English translation - such as “Ik eet weinig” would be?

It’s a small thing but I hope somebody can help me figure it out.

Many thanks in advance!

weerwater

Re: A little frustrated with a couple of exercises involving “weinig”. Is there an explanation?

Post by weerwater »

Iwould indeed use the negative construction 'not - many' in both cases you mention. It works. (Weinig = niet veel.)
It's the safest choice. The way to apply '(a) few / (a) little' is a bit more complex to explain.

I have a few potatoes; Ik heb een paar aardappelen.
I have little time: Ik heb weinig tijd
I have a few strawberries: Ik heb een paar aardbeien.
I have few strawberries left: Ik heb weinig aardbeien over.

https://www.perfect-english-grammar.com ... a-few.html

Return to “Dutch”