Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

You'll have a nice hot tea. Topic is solved

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

Jim606185
Australia

You'll have a nice hot tea.

Post by Jim606185 »

This is translated as Tu prendras un bon thé chaud.

OK, I know that "to have" is a common translation of prendre, but I have seen the expression "je me bois. It's almost exactly the same formula as the Italian "mi bevo un caffè" which comes across as much nicer. You would use it to say that you're having a coffee with friends.

I tried tu te boiras un bon thé chaud, but it was rejected. Is it totally wrong, or does it sound unnatural to a francophone? Maybe it's a regional thing.

Native English Speaker. Currently studying French, German (basic), Dutch (Beginner), Italian (Intermediate), Russian (basic), Chinese (beginner), Scottish Gaelic (Intermediate), Norwegian (Basic)
Ic rǣde englisc spræce.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: You'll have a nice hot tea.

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Hi [mention]Jim606185[/mention]

I had a similar question that was answered by [mention]vero-bis[/mention] in the following discussion:

viewtopic.php?p=29738-le-tiramisu-je-me ... eux#p29738

It seems that the construction is rather Spanish or Italian and so it is used (perhaps) in some French regions that are close to these neighboring countries

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Of course, in Scott's, it would be "You'll have had your tea"

John661162

vero-bis
France

Post by vero-bis »

It is not totally wrong. It is a sentence in the familiar register.
I wouldn't say "tu te boiras un bon thé chaud" but I could say "tu te prendras un bon thé chaud".
I don't use this pronominal form with boire or manger, but with prendre, it is OK.

"J'ai mal à la gorge ; je vais me prendre un bon thé chaud." Or, better : "J'ai mal à la gorge ; je vais prendre un bon thé chaud."

Véro
B2 : 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 / B1 : 🇧🇷 / A2 : 🇩🇪

Rickiefl
Scotland

Post by Rickiefl »

Replying to John….very good. Afraid that most people on here will not get the reference though. Maybe you could explain it in French.

Native: British 🇬🇧 Scottish. Learning: French 🇫🇷,German 🇩🇪,Spanish 🇪🇸

Jim606185
Australia

Post by Jim606185 »

“Entrez, entrez. Tu auras déjà dîné”. Il veut dire que c’est une expression écossaise. En fait les écossais sont vraiment amicaux. Je crois que c’est une blague d’origine sud de la frontière :D Un wee bit drôle.

Last edited by Jim606185 on Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Native English Speaker. Currently studying French, German (basic), Dutch (Beginner), Italian (Intermediate), Russian (basic), Chinese (beginner), Scottish Gaelic (Intermediate), Norwegian (Basic)
Ic rǣde englisc spræce.

Jim606185
Australia

Post by Jim606185 »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:03 am

Hi @Jim606185

I had a similar question that was answered by @vero-bis in the following discussion:

viewtopic.php?p=29738-le-tiramisu-je-me ... eux#p29738

It seems that the construction is rather Spanish or Italian and so it is used (perhaps) in some French regions that are close to these neighboring countries

I notice in that post that it came from the Course: Italien depuis le Francais

That's where I noticed it too. I love that course. You can improve both your French and Italian at the same time. I remember a lot of Southern Italian phrases in there as well. It's a much more comprehensive course than Italian from English.

Thanks to @vero-bis for clarifying the usage of the phrase.

Ic rǣde englisc spræce.

EranBarLev
Israel

Re: You'll have a nice hot tea. (en → fr)

Post by EranBarLev »

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Return to “Sentence discussions”