Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

German after 2 years

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, Cifi

boatswainsmate
United States of America

German after 2 years

Post by boatswainsmate »

Well, it's a two weeks before my two year anniversary of starting Duolingo, but the next two weeks are going to be busy at work, so I'll post this now.

For veteran's day (almost) two years ago, my daughter was off from school and I from work, and there were plenty of free meal deals out there for veterans. I'm a veteran of the Gulf War back in 1991, so its very nice that businesses offer free meals for vets. So my daughter and I went to IHOP for my free meal, and her breakfast--which outraged my wallet nevertheless. During breakfast, my daughter asked me about the war and I told her about being in the Persian Gulf, guiding tankers through the mined waters outside Kuwait (yes, live mines being detonated around us by EOD all the time, shaking the ship like ein Erdbeben), and pulling into Bahrain behind a German minesweeper named "Trossschiff Freiberg", a supply ship for German minesweepers. I had taken German classes in high school, and decided to ask them if I could take a tour of their ship in my poor German, and they sent a deckhand named Stefan Lakeberg to give me a tour. He didn't speak any English, but apparently my German was passable enough to hold a basic conversation. It was a once in a lifetime experience, and I still have the ships hat Stefan gave me when we traded hats over thirty years ago....

Anyway, my daughter said "So you think you know German? Well, lets just test that out." She was in 7th grade, taking French and was using Duolingo for her classes. So she put the Duolingo app on my cell phone and starting giving me unit exams, one after the other. So in the hour or so we were at IHOP, I took the 5 or 6 exams (I don't remember) and was able to dimly discern the correct answers to get the level 1 trophy. My daughter was astounded. "Wow!" she said, shocked "You really do know German!" My daughter being impressed by old stupid dad was a big ego boost. But the reality was, I barely got through the exams and realized that my understanding of German was very poor.

Now I almost have a 2 year streak, where I've practiced every day. After the last update, it felt like I had been dropped off at Utah Beach in Normandy, June 6 1942. I hammered through all the lessons, all the way up through legendary, seeing strange things, dodging bullets, running, dodging, jumping all the way to the end. Victory?!? I guess, but I realized after all was said and done, that my understanding of German was actually very poor. All the words have genders, all the sentences have cases, and all the cases have a kind Yoda speak that takes a bit of getting used to.

I don't think there is a right way to study German, unless you say you just keep returning to it day after day and keep moving forward. Take that beach! Be patient. Keep going. It is important to understand the cases, the der and ein words and their endings in each case, the genders of all the most common words. And then there are special exceptions, certain forms, strange conventions that remind you that this is oddly similar to English, but it is its own language, with its own history and its own ways.

Now--two years later---I am going through each legendary section and doing the hardest lesson until I make no mistakes in it. I learn the genders of the words (forgetting them often, but then reminding myself of them again later), and I'm finally starting to type in sentence translations in a format that is acceptable to the Duolingo algorithm. I guess the important thing is that I've learned not to be a perfectionist, since I've made thousands upon thousands of mistakes, and it is through these mistakes that I've gotten a "feel" for the language. I mean, I learned English not through memorizing grammar in an English class, but from speaking it, reading it, hearing it every day from my family, at school, in society. The learning process is pretty much the same here, except I have keine guenstige Gelegenheiten to talk to Germans in the US, since it is so rare where I live, and when I do encounter a German speaker, if your German is flawed, they quickly switch to English to impress you with their masterful command of the English language.

But I'm not daunted by that. I just keep doing the lessons every day, doing them over and over again until I'm able to breeze through them. I don't think Duolingo is enough, though, you need a good grammar site for when you don't understand something you've read. It is also good to read a lot of books at an appropriate level, since that is how you improve your vocabulary.

I greatly appreciate the service that Duolingo offers, since my German has improved immensely. I can actually read simple books with much fewer word lookups than before, and I'm able to understand more clearly everything that is being said and what is going on. I consider studying German a great hobby, since it is inexpensive to pursue, and it doesn't particularly have to have a utilitarian need in order to be entertaining. I find it satisfying to think "Hey! You are reading a book in German! How many people in the US can say they are doing that?"

Anyway, just wanted to say hello to all you out there. I could have written this note in German but I didn't want to sound like a mental deficient since my writing mastery is poor at best.... that's the next mountain to climb, but--- as with all hobbies---there is no hurry. Just relax, enjoy the beauty of the words and what they mean, enjoy the process of learning.... Enjoy!

Last edited by boatswainsmate on Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bach
Germany

Re: German after 2 years

Post by bach »

What simple books are you reading?

boatswainsmate
United States of America

Post by boatswainsmate »

I read a lot of Comics fuer Erwachsene, like Schwermetall and various other books like Die Biene Maja, by Waldemar Bonsels, and graded readers. Finding books of an appropriate reading level can be challenging but its becoming less and less so as I'm reading more every day.

Last edited by boatswainsmate on Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Nice to hear your story and the tips you have for the learning process! All the best on your mountains to conquer!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Hi,

boatswainsmate wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:50 pm

The learning process is pretty much the same here, except I have keine guenstige Gelegenheiten

I will gladly accept the "ue" instead of the Umlaut ü :-)
You probably had to type on a computer.

Don't you use an international keyboard layout in Windows?

I had plans to dig deeper for Brazilian Portuguese diacritics and creating my own custom layout in a software being more compatible with a DE Qwertz layout but in the end I didn't do it and both old Laptops broke down a while ago.

With Memrise Web reviews and "strict-typing" course setting without a Brazilian hardware keyboard I got away by installing a Tampermonkey userscript for the browser which helped with auto-completion.
That option is now gone too with the Web rewrite.

The on-screen keyboard on my new Redmi Note 10 Pro Smartphone with a 6.67" Super AMOLED (Oled) screen is pretty cool.
Now I have Pt-Br and Fr besides De and En layouts and I can even make use of speech to text (Gboard on Android) by dictating full sentences.
Much easier to type all this çãíéêœ.. accent/diacritics stuff on mobile when I clearly see all letters by long pressing on the keys ;)

Duolingo would have probably even accepted "u" without ue and only giving you a ü umlaut warning.
But it is IMHO better if you really make use of äöüß.

to talk to Germans in the US, since it is so rare where I live

Same problem here with Brazilian Portuguese.

I have finally started with French one year ago after postponing it for so long, but speaking opportunities won't be many in my area, to be honest with you.
Maybe just a bit more common than Portuguese when I rarely meet a French native speaker.
Had one bigger chance meeting someone from Portugal, a professional sports player, but always missed him at that sports park restaurant so this chance slipped through.

Hope I can go to the nearb Wakeboarding spot again one day as the big boss (is a woman) and cook is French :-)

But I doubt I can really impress them and get a free ticket or meal without a much stronger knowledge which I might only aquire after 4-6 or 11 years (by doing full-time classes, 1-on-1 teacher speaking lessons) ;)

Well, I would need to learn Italian, Turkish, Polish, Greek, Czech, Slovak, Russian,... to make any use on a regular basis here in Germany.

Bin mir nicht sicher ob viele Brasilianer oder Portugiesen sich hier nach Deutschland oder in den Umkreis meiner kleineren Region verirren.
Wohne nicht gerade in einer Großstadt; nicht mit Hamburg, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Stuttgart oder München zu vergleichen.

and when I do encounter a German speaker, if your German is flawed, they quickly switch to English to impress you with their masterful command of the English language.

Honestly, I didn't even think about the fact that our US native English teacher (from Berlitz) may "have wanted to talk" in German to me.
I thought knowing (and talking in) English is much cooler.
So I only spoke to him in English even when we met 1-2 times in person.

Thinking back, and it is really a long time ago, he probably hadn't had many chances during school class time or coaching of other students and companys' personal to actually talk in German the whole weekday.

He sounded OK to me when he talked German.

So here is my tip:
Better ask a German specifically you really want to talk and continue in our language.
I wouldn't have a problem with that or to train with someone I have met who is not that much advanced.

But if you don't ask, why should I want to speak that native language if an opportunity comes up to finally get away from it and actually use my second language English?

In most cases it's not meant as rude or non-supportive, but simply it may not come up to one's mind that you want to talk in German.
Well you already had started the conversation in German, so I have no good explanation about the instant switch from the other party.
But I'm aware of the general issue from other user reports in any other target language incl. French.

For all the 5+ years on Duolingo community forums and 11 years in my RC heli hobby I'm actually glad - as a native German speaker - when I can read and write in English on an international basis.
As speaking comes way too short, hardly ever, there simply are not many opportunities; so yeah, I can kinda understand that very well why someone might want to switch back to English if you don't force it.

Alles Gute weiterhin.

Da dürfte in den nächsten Jahren noch so einiges an neuem Kursinhalt hinzukommen, gerade wenn man sich die sehr langen Französisch und Spanisch CEFR Kurse von Englisch aus anssieht an denen die Duolingo Belegschaft seit 2018 regelmäßig herumfeilt.

Gibt aber auch noch andere Ressourcen.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

German after four years...

four years german.PNG
four years german.PNG (17.31 KiB) Viewed 543 times

Return to “German”