Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

So...how do you get to DuoMe forum topics for DuoLingo sentences?

Ady
Canada

Re: So...how do you get to DuoMe forum topics for DuoLingo sentences?

Post by Ady »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:23 pm

Seems to me language code (en>eo) is code for the course learning Esperanto from English, not the individual sentence direction.

Whoa! I just checked and you seem to be correct.
I just hit the DuoMe button on something asking me to translate from English to Esperanto, and yet the thread created looks just like it would for a DuoLingo forum thread for something from Esperanto to English (i.e. with the title being the Esperanto sentence).

That's really disappointing. It's a problem because it means there can only be half as many DuoMe sentence threads as there are questions (and half as DuoMe sentence threads as DuoLingo sentence threads). There may be some advantages to lumping the two translation directions for a given sentence into one thread, but I would say they are vastly outweighed by the disadvantages. Translation of a sentence in the two directions are two different activities with potentially different challenges and different issues to discuss. And again, on top of that it's a departure from how it's done on DuoLingo (they have a separate thread of each translation direction).

PS -- In an earlier post I advocated 'rescuing' the DuoLingo forum content and bringing it over here, but that looks even more difficult if DuoMe collapses discussions to half as many threads.

Last edited by Ady on Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ne estas facila esti verda. :mrgreen: :star:

Ady
Canada

Post by Ady »

gmads wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:25 pm
Cifi wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:48 pm

[...] would most likely never find the forum thread. I just tried, currently Google does not even list the ones I checked.

The forum engine (phpBB in Duome's case) settings allow Google to index the content, however, Google will almost certainly list those results in its n-thousand results page, that is, it is very unlikely that it will include them in its first 50 results pages. However, this does not mean one cannot find them, one only needs to learn a bit how to make the most of the search engine. When one wants to get the contents of a particular site one only needs to use the following search criteria:

site:the_address_of_the_site_to_be_searched the_term_being_searched

For example: site:forum.duome.eu horchata

I think you're either letting Google off the hook too easily, or there really is some kind of indexing problem.

Let's take the example sentence (pair):
Why are there batteries in that pot? -- Kial estas baterioj en tiu poto?

I don't expect that that sentence (or even that collection of words)---especially the Esperanto one---exists in very many places on the internet.
Add the search term 'DuoLingo' and I would expect that search to have hits only from the DuoLingo forum and, if the sentence has a thread here, here.

If someone could test that for some sentence pair for some language that has actually had a thread on DuoMe for some time (since all the Esperanto from English ones are brand new), that would be useful.

Last edited by Ady on Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

I tested fairly new ones first, later checked again with one created in April, and luckily that one had been indexed by the Google bot, so it's probably just a matter of time.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Ady[/mention] Actually that is incorrect that there are less sentences. A sentence discussion is created for each sentence on Duolingo. Some of them just have the same titles due the target language being most commonly at the top. Sometimes I feel like some of the information about the sentence ends up one those discussions and the other ends up on the other. I am just grateful to have a sentence discussion extension here.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Ady wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:56 pm
gmads wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:25 pm

site:the_address_of_the_site_to_be_searched the_term_being_searched

I think you're either letting Google off the hook too easily, or there really is some kind of indexing problem.

Google having an indexing problem? Anthing but that. No, they just have a particular set of rules to determine what is to be included into their result pages, and in which position.

Ady wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:56 pm

Let's take the example sentence (pair):
Why are there batteries in that pot? -- Kial estas baterioj in tiu poto?

I don't expect that that sentence (or even that collection of words)---especially the Esperanto one---exists in very many places on the internet.
Add the search term 'DuoLingo' and I would expect that search to have hits only from the DuoLingo forum and, if the sentence has a thread here, here.

If someone could test that for some sentence pair for some language that has actually had a thread on DuoMe for some time (since all the Esperanto from English ones are brand new), that would be useful.

When in doubt one has only to try it out: Google results for: Why are there batteries in that pot (just the phrase, without adding "duolingo"). The first entry in the results page:

Why are there batteries in that pot? - Forum - Duolingo
https://forum.duolingo.com › comment · Translate this page
Jul 17, 2021 — Learn how to use the Esperanto sentence
"Kial estas baterioj en tiu poto?" ("Why are there batteries in that pot?

As mentioned by [mention]Cifi[/mention] , it would be a matter of time for the sentence to appear at Duome.

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Ady
Canada

Post by Ady »

Cifi wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:59 pm

I tested fairly new ones first, later checked again with one created in April, and luckily that one had been indexed by the Google bot, so it's probably just a matter of time.

Awesome.

Ady
Canada

Post by Ady »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:39 pm

@Ady Actually that is incorrect that there are less sentences. A sentence discussion is created for each sentence on Duolingo. Some of them just have the same titles due the target sentence being most commonly at the top. Sometimes I feel like some of the information about the sentence ends up one those discussions and the other ends up on the other. I am just grateful to have a sentence discussion extension here.

I had to test this out (and I endured repeated +0 XP instances of lessons on the same topic to do so LOL)...

Results:
viewtopic.php?p=34264-ĉu-la-surfaco-de- ... -eo#p34264
viewtopic.php?p=34263-ĉu-la-surfaco-de- ... -eo#p34263

...and thankfully you're correct---there is a separate thread for discussion of translating a given sentence in each direction.

There is still a problem, though! Those threads are being given the exact same title! They are both being titled with the version of the sentence in the language being taught.
Can the sentence thread creation please be made to work the same way DuoLingo forums did it, which is to title the thread with the sentence in whichever language it was presented by DuoLingo (for translation to the other language)?
(...and if the roughly half of already-created sentence threads affected could be fixed retroactively, that would be gravy.)

Return to “Esperanto”