Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

El Sr. Bigotes no es un gato común, él es gracioso y especial. (en → es) Topic is solved

Moderators: xillegas, Stasia

sentence bot 🤖

El Sr. Bigotes no es un gato común, él es gracioso y especial. (en → es)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

El Sr. Bigotes no es un gato común, él es gracioso y especial.

gmads
Mexico

Re: El Sr. Bigotes no es un gato común, él es gracioso y especial. (en → es)

Post by gmads »

¡Qué entrada tan peculiar! ¿Dónde está la traducción en inglés?

Mr. Whiskers is not an ordinary cat, he is funny and special.

If something is common this means that many people can relate to it or have it.
If something is ordinary this means that it is plain or not special.

:hash:  ㆍenglish ㆍvocabulary ㆍSentenceDiscussion

Last edited by gmads on Wed May 10, 2023 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Rickiefl
Scotland

Post by Rickiefl »

Common in English can also mean ordinary, e.g. “ the common man “ = “ ordinary people “
“ common or garden” = “ ordinary, nothing special “

Native: British 🇬🇧 Scottish. Learning: French 🇫🇷,German 🇩🇪,Spanish 🇪🇸

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Rickiefl wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:54 pm

Common in English can also mean ordinary, e.g. “ the common man “ = “ ordinary people “
“ common or garden” = “ ordinary, nothing special “

They may be synonyms, but that does not mean they mean the same or that they can be used interchangably. Even if in some circumstances that can be done (not in the case of the example shown), it is always best to know about their differences than to just know they may be synonyms.

For example, the following are also synonyms of common (and I won't list those of ordinary): across-the-board, average, bad, bargain-basement, baseborn, blanket, broad-brush, bum, cheap, cheapjack, cheesy, coarse, collaborative, collective, combined, common or garden [chiefly British], commonplace, communal, concerted, conjoint, conjunct, cooperative, crappy [slang], crass, crude, cut-and-dried (also cut-and-dry), cut-rate, el cheapo, everyday, execrable, fair, familiar, frequent, garden-variety, general, generic, gimcrack, global, gross, household, humble, ignoble, ill-bred, illiberal [archaic], incult, indifferent, inferior, insensible, joint, junky, lousy, low, low-grade, low-life, low-rent, lowborn, lowbred, lowbrow, lower-class, lowly, lumpen, majority, mean, mediocre, medium, middling, miserable, multiple, mutual, normal, ordinary, overall, passable, plebeian, pooled, poor, popular, prevailing, prole, proletarian, prosaic, public, quotidian, raffish, received, rotten, rough, rough-hewn, roughneck, routine, rubbishy, rude, rugged, ruling, run-of-the-mill, run-of-the-mine (or run-of-mine), schlock (or schlocky also shlock or shlocky), second-class, second-rate, shared, shoddy, sleazy, so-so, standard, standard-issue, tasteless, terrible, trashy, trumpery, ubiquitous, uncouth, uncultivated, uncultured, unexceptional, united, universal, unpolished, unrefined, unremarkable, unwashed, usual, vulgar, workaday, wretched.

Taken from 466 Synonyms & Antonyms of common.

Rickiefl
Scotland

Post by Rickiefl »

Sorry, I disagree with you. Yes there are loads of synonyms and some are not direct substitutes for each other. However, in the two examples that I gave, if you use ordinary instead of common, then there is absolutely no difference in the meaning.
In the example given “ not a common cat “ would mean to me that the cat is Persian or some other exotic type, whereas “ not an ordinary cat” would tell me that he doesn’t behave like other cats.

Native: British 🇬🇧 Scottish. Learning: French 🇫🇷,German 🇩🇪,Spanish 🇪🇸

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Rickiefl wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:38 am

Sorry, I disagree with you. Yes there are loads of synonyms and some are not direct substitutes for each other. However, in the two examples that I gave, if you use ordinary instead of common, then there is absolutely no difference in the meaning.
In the example given “ not a common cat “ would mean to me that the cat is Persian or some other exotic type, whereas “ not an ordinary cat” would tell me that he doesn’t behave like other cats.

In order to agree with you, the only change in your examples would have to be that of the adjective in question.

That's exactly why I used the word "ordinary" in the translated sentence: Mr. Whiskers is not an ordinary cat.

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

Rickiefl wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:38 am

A somewhat old fashioned wording would be 'no common cat'

Mr Whiskers is no common cat, he is funny and special

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

John238922 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:29 am

A somewhat old fashioned wording would be 'no common cat'

Mr Whiskers is no common cat, he is funny and special

Mhh... it sounds a bit strange, "no common cat" :) But yes, I've seen this expression.

Return to “Sentence discussions”