Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Taiwanese 台語 Tâi-gí for English speakers

fremanolas

Taiwanese 台語 Tâi-gí for English speakers

Post by fremanolas »

Taiwanese is a variety of Hokkien which is one of the Southern Min languages which in turn belong to the Sinitic languages. Taiwanese is widely spoken in Taiwan next to Mandarin, Hakka and a variety of indigenous languages belonging to the Austronesian language family (languages of Taiwan).

Catherine Chou | Catie Lilly has collected an impressing amount of information on twitter for people who want to learn Taiwanese 台語 Tâi-gí from English. Central is this document with a lot of valuable links for language learners.

I picked out a few of them:
Bite Size Taiwanese podcast and textbooks
Taiwanese Made Easier textbook
Maryknoll Taiwanese-English Dictionary
chhoe.taigi.info aggregates 7 different Taiwanese dictionaries & allows searching in 台文, Mandarin, POJ Romanization & English
PhahTaigi 台語輸入法 (Taigi Keyboard) for Android
Chrome extension with helpful tools for studying Taiwanese

In the document you'll find information on courses both online as well as in person and a lot of additional info. Learning (some) Taiwanese is certainly worth of consideration if you're going to spend some time in Taiwan and moreover it's a very interesting language. All the credits to Catherine Chou who has put a lot of effort in establishing this treasure trove and who also tells about her personal language journey.

Lastly I'll add a song in Taiwanese: 葬予規路火烌猶在 by 珂拉琪 Collage. You can find the lyrics here (歌詞 click > ...查看更多).

EN :de: :netherlands: :sweden: :es: :fr: :norway: :taiwan:

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Re: Taiwanese 台語 Tâi-gí for English speakers

Post by panyamnyenyekevu »

I once did an interview with a woman who told me that Taiwan has its own original writing system that, like Mongolian’s writing system, is no longer in use. I don’t know if any of your links talk about that. From what I could tell, only a few old scholars may know it.

🇺🇦

c.elise.t
Netherlands

Post by c.elise.t »

This is amazing, thank you so much for all this useful info. Hopefully I can pick up Taiwanese someday because traditional characters look so much more beautiful(ly complicated), more meaningful etc!

🇳🇱 N 🇬🇧 C2 🇫🇷 B2 🇨🇳 A2 🇬🇪 A1 🇻🇳 A1

fremanolas

Post by fremanolas »

c.elise.t wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:49 pm

This is amazing, thank you so much for all this useful info. Hopefully I can pick up Taiwanese someday because traditional characters look so much more beautiful(ly complicated), more meaningful etc!

In Taiwan traditional characters are also used for the Taiwanese variety of Mandarin. Moreover Japanese Kanji consist mainly of traditional characters with a few simplifications here and there.

I agree that traditional characters are often more meaningful (and beautiful). For me the best example is ài (love), since the simplified version of the character lacks the heart sim (tg) xīn (zh).

Deleted User 1414

Post by Deleted User 1414 »

I read Wikipedia Kanji Cultural Sphere. It's interesting. And I also do Taiwanese with other apps.

fremanolas

Post by fremanolas »

Nineko wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:37 pm

I also do Taiwanese with other apps.

Which apps do you use for Taiwanese?

Deleted User 1414

Post by Deleted User 1414 »

I have an app called Simply Learn Languages ​​and Fun Easy Learn. Chinese and Taiwanese were a little different when compared. It may be useful to remember both

Return to “Languages not yet covered...”