Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Le Subjonctif Sauvage

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

Jim606185
Australia

Le Subjonctif Sauvage

Post by Jim606185 »

Trying to get my head around the Subjunctive. (Cette chose qui rend les anglophones fous)

In this sentence,
"Je suis très inquiet qu'ils aient un accident."

Is this past, present or future, or all three?

1. I'm very worried that they've had an accident.
  2. I'm very worried that they're having an accident.
  3. I'm very worried that they will have an accident.
  4. I'm worried they might have had an accident. (I think this one should be conditional)

Now I understand that French doesn't always translate well into English, but it would be nice to get some clarity on this.

Native English Speaker. Currently studying French, German (basic), Dutch (Beginner), Italian (Intermediate), Russian (basic), Chinese (beginner), Scottish Gaelic (Intermediate), Norwegian (Basic)
Ic rǣde englisc spræce.

Cifi

Re: Le Subjonctif Sauvage

Post by Cifi »

There are definitely more competent folks around here to answer, but as none of them has reacted so far, I'll give it a try.

To me, both the first and the last translation don't seem to match, because the action in the subordinate clause would have happened before (anteriority), and I think the French sentence doesn't express this.

As French subjunctive doesn't seem to have a future form (similar to Spanish, where it exists but isn't used), I think it could either be at the time of speaking (simultaneity) or in the future (posteriority), so I'd guess translations 2 and 3 should be possible.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Jim606185
Australia

Re: Le Subjonctif Sauvage

Post by Jim606185 »

Thanks for your reply.

Native English Speaker. Currently studying French, German (basic), Dutch (Beginner), Italian (Intermediate), Russian (basic), Chinese (beginner), Scottish Gaelic (Intermediate), Norwegian (Basic)
Ic rǣde englisc spræce.

Return to “Questions”