Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

pronunciation

wogaimingleicn
China

pronunciation

Post by wogaimingleicn »

why does Russian "т" sounds like English "d"?

gmads
Mexico

Re: pronunciation

Post by gmads »

wogaimingleicn wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:12 am

Do you have an example of that, both of a word in Russian and one in English?

Maybe the following videos could be of help:

:hash:  ㆍрусский ㆍпроизношение

Last edited by gmads on Sun May 07, 2023 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

wogaimingleicn
China

Post by wogaimingleicn »

gmads wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:58 am

For example, the English word park and the Russian word паpk. The latter sounds like "Бark"to me.
Moreover, I experienced the same difficulty in Spanish. I am not able to

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

it's pronounced like d when it's followed by a voiced consonant (б, г, д, з)

for example футбол, отзыв, отгул

wogaimingleicn wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:14 am
gmads wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:58 am

For example, the English word park and the Russian word паpk. The latter sounds like "Бark"to me.

this might be because English p is aspirated whereas Russian isn't so it sounds different (but it's not pronounced like b, that is a different sound)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Well, I'd say the most likely reason lies on Duo's speech system: we all have suffered it imagining we were learning the correct pronunciation of a letter or a word only to discover it was off.

When using other sources one may also need to take into account other factors, like regional or individual accents.

Regarding listening to individual words, wiktionary.org has worked fine for me: парк.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

water_color

Post by water_color »

In English, p/t/k at the beginning of the word (in words like park, table, key) are aspirated (i.e. pronounced with a puff of air). In Russian and Spanish they are not, so they may sound like b/d/g for an English ear. Since you have the same problem in both Russian and Spanish, I think that's almost definitely due to (lack of) aspiration.

wojcikr
United States of America

Post by wojcikr »

There can be many reasons why the two sounds sound the same to you. One reason is that your native language may not have a distinction between voiceless /t/ and voiced /d/ phonemes so you may not be used to hearing that distinction in running speech.

Another reason could be more subtle. English voiced consonants (b, d, g) are typically pronounced with lax voicing (technically called lenis by phoneticians). So they often come off as shortened voiceless sounds acoustically. (They are also articulated with closure at the "alveolar ridge" behind the teeth.) Russian т and д are pronounced with stronger (fortis) voice. (They are also articulated with the tongue touching the teeth.)

Another difference is that Russians typically devoice consonants at the ends of words, so a word like рад (masculine 'glad') sounds more like рат, but the д in the feminine form рада keeps its voiced pronunciation.

Return to “Language”