Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

XP Inflation

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Corinnebelle

Re: XP Inflation

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Saperlipopette![/mention] So can you do any lessons on the tree with schools? Not necessarily in chronological order?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

I have to do the lessons in the order Duo prescribes. In Exhibit One, I can't start a lesson in Cuisine or Politics until I've taken In Touch to a Blue circle.

I've also noticed they fixed a bug in Duo for Schools. If you hit Turn Off, you go to the five hearts rule. The only way to get out of it was to clear my cache and all files Duo saved on my device.

Now, in Exhibit Two, there is an unlimited hearts button. If I hit that it goes to Exhibit Three, unlimited hearts.

Exhibit One

![](

Exhibit Two

![](
**"

Exhibit Three

![](

Svetlana 13

Post by Svetlana 13 »

Could anyeone tell me how is that possible? Is this cheating or is there a legal opportunity to receive 120xp for challenges/stories?

Duome.jpg
Duome.jpg (70.35 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
Last edited by Svetlana 13 on Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saperlipopette!

You're looking for a 60xp activity because all of the 120xp items were done under the double XP timer. The user does have such an activity because they did them at 1319-1320 and 1250-1255. They complete each activity in 70-80 seconds so they're probably working on a language with short arrange-the-tiles questions. I'd say they're not cheating as Duo defined it.

Svetlana 13

Post by Svetlana 13 »

I also have challenges, but maximum I can get - 40XP, double XP timer doesn't work at challenges since last monday. I tried to get 120XP different ways during double XP timer, and I couldn't do it.

Saperlipopette!

At 13:03 they did the capstone review for a lesson, and botched it. Worth 20 XP and a bonus of up to five, which they got 2. But completing that kicked off the double XP which they got. It's clear they got the timer because for the next 15 minutes, it was all an XP grab. Ten lessons averaging 80 seconds each to complete for the next 25 minutes. Notice when the timer was done, they switched to doing 5 minute lessons.

Just because you don't have the timer on challenges doesn't mean they don't have the timer. They do have it. It's clear they have it & their actions confirm it.

For the one at 937, this was an XP timer they got for doing a lesson between 6am and 11:59 am. For the next 15 minutes, it's clearly an XP grab. Again, their actions are confirming what stands to reason.

Just because the maximum you can get on a challenge is 40xp, does not mean they don't have a 60xp challenge. It may not be a challenge either. And it's pretty clear they do have something worth 60xp because the lessons they did at 1319 and 1320 we're not on the timer. It's also pretty clear they were doing the same thing they were doing for the previous 15 minutes.

People get higher value for different devices, different languages, different challenges.

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Saperlipopette! wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:32 pm

And it's pretty clear they do have something worth 60xp because the lessons they did at 1319 and 1320 we're not on the timer.

But what is it that might be credited with 60px in normal mode? Stories were maximum 28 in all courses I have done (and those never doubled anyway), checkpoints seem to be 50 for me, and challenges, is that when Duolingo asks if you want to do a harder lesser? I usually refused to do them, but I think I didn't get a lot of points for them either.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Svetlana 13

Post by Svetlana 13 »

Saperlipopette! wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:32 pm

Just because the maximum you can get on a challenge is 40xp, does not mean they don't have a 60xp challenge. It may not be a challenge either. And it's pretty clear they do have something worth 60xp because the lessons they did at 1319 and 1320 we're not on the timer. It's also pretty clear they were doing the same thing they were doing for the previous 15 minutes.

People get higher value for different devices, different languages, different challenges.

That's the point. I have all the tests that Duolingo gives. I do have the timer on challenges. I do tasks from 6 to 12, I also get doubling, but the maximum points for challenges with timer for me are 40. I have been on Duolingo for a year, this member has only been since June 2022. He also doesn't have a Plus. I don't think he has more options.
That's why I'm asking if someone can confirm that it is legal in practice, and not just theoretical reflections. Please explain how can anyone get 120 XP? I see that he does this in x2 XP mode, but I don't understand where he found challenges (even with timer) or stories for 60XP? We are learning the same language. So we have the same tests. If there are differences in devices, please tell me where can I read about it? And isn't this discrimination against people with other devices (if I can get a maximum of 40 for the same tests on my device, and he can get 120)?

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

Svetlana 13 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:40 pm

is there a legal opportunity to receive 120xp for challenges/stories?

It's probably a combination of legendary challenge, 2x xp boost, happy hour bonus, perfect lesson boost, and some other stuff.

I'm as dry as a mouse and don’t use this anymore.

Svetlana 13

Post by Svetlana 13 »

But I'm not sure that it's possible 3-4 times a day

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Svetlana 13[/mention]
And isn't this discrimination against people with other devices (if I can get a maximum of 40 for the same tests on my device, and he can get 120)?

Duolingo is constantly testing different things with A/B tests. With duolingo we are the lab rats and they use us to test how we behave with different rewards. Obviously it causes a lot of chagrin between the different participants in their tests.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Drymice wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:57 pm
Svetlana 13 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:40 pm

is there a legal opportunity to receive 120xp for challenges/stories?

It's probably a combination of legendary challenge, 2x xp boost, happy hour bonus, perfect lesson boost, and some other stuff.

No, I don't think it's legendary. These show up (at least for me) as regular practice on Duome: e.g.

Code: Select all

2022-09-25 10:21:33 · 90XP lesson  Travel 2

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Saperlipopette!

Well, a lot of people seem to be stuck on the fact that some Duo accounts might have different features than others, including xp features, but Duo has run A/B tests for a long time & some of those involve XP.

It's not really theoretical suppositions when I've seen scores of Duolingo accounts on Duo me with a different XP structure than me and most others. 34 XP for German stories. 55 XP for legendaries in some other language to English course, and 110 XP with the timer.

A lot of the A/B tests are done on IOS & some involve XP. Duo finds it easiest to test new features on IOS then work on the other mediums. I remember complaints about XP when IOS had legendary & others didn't. I remember the time three years ago when I got 45 XP for hard practice, this was before legendaries, and everyone else didn't. It was on an Android too, a very bizarre XP test for an acct in Duo for schools who signed up & said I want nothing to do with your offers to be a guinea pig. For two weeks I blew everyone away, I knew it was totally unfair, but I was following the rules. The best part was I got a message that I finished in zero place in my league. They actually gave me the first place gems, something like 1500, and credited the buckets, it was just the weekly league ending screen had a bug. So Duolingo has had different XP structures since time immemorial, and it's not theoretical to say that they still do. In fact, when you do lessons on the web, it's a different XP structure. So why is it so hard to see that can occur for other medias?

I don't believe every opinion on the forums and neither should you. Go by the facts. If you think someone's cheating, file a Bug Report, and select report abuse. That link is to a Duolingo page where you can report cheaters. Twice I got accts deactivated through that process in three days or so for cheating. My understanding is that plus accounts, or whatever they call them now, super, has an email addy for follow up. They're more likely to get back to you through that method.

They'll give you a report number. They may or may not get back to you. Both times they deactivated accts, they got back to me & said the accts were cheating at leagues.

A third time, they put a guy on double secret probation. They basically told him to cut it out. His XP went down, the coast was clear, and it went up, but not by as much as it had been. When you give people an option to pay to cheat at leagues -- get features to help you win that are not available to everyone -- you can't be surprised that they'll cheat. So therefore I wasn't too surprised that they didn't kick him off for cheating. I do see that they closed the loophole in the update to the new tree & the acct that I reported is insctive.

You want to find documentation for this stuff ? Duo has no documents besides the help center. They have a feel good & promotional blog. But they've always lacked transparency & claim the owl doesn't wear latex.

Svetlana 13

Post by Svetlana 13 »

Ok, thank you.

b05aplmun.ca
United States of America

Post by b05aplmun.ca »

And isn't this discrimination against people with other devices (if I can get a maximum of 40 for the same tests on my device, and he can get 120)?
[/quote]

I can get a maximum of 15 points on regular exercises, 10 points on review exercises, and 28 points on the stories.

Should I therefore conclude that you must be doing something nefarious, because you (mysteriously, from my point of view) get 40 points doing something? Or should I just accept that Duolingo is always tinkering and has policies that aren't strictly fair and get on with my language learning?

Saperlipopette!

You should be able to get more than that.
There is double XP. Sometimes when you complete a lesson you will get an offer for double xp. It is really 20xp instead of 15. You should get 20 or 40 for capstone reviews. You should have the double XP timers.

She's referring to the timer challenges. They're available if you are in leagues. I think there's three of them, the cheat-up, the lightning, and march madness. The cheat-up goes something like 16 20 24 28 32 36 40 then 40 until you lose.

b05aplmun.ca
United States of America

Post by b05aplmun.ca »

Saperlipopette! wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:33 pm

You should be able to get more than that.
There is double XP. Sometimes when you complete a lesson you will get an offer for double xp. It is really 20xp instead of 15. You should get 20 or 40 for capstone reviews. You should have the double XP timers.

She's referring to the timer challenges. They're available if you are in leagues. I think there's three of them, the cheat-up, the lightning, and march madness. The cheat-up goes something like 16 20 24 28 32 36 40 then 40 until you lose.

None of those options are available to me, and I am in the leagues. I think they're not generally available on the website, at all, but may be wrong about that. (Possible exception - is the capstone review the same thing as the checkpoint exam? I've never noticed getting an exceptional amount of points for those, but may just not have been paying attention.)

Saperlipopette!

Oh, désolé, I had already told her that the website had a different xp structure; I did not realize that you were amplifying those differences. I thought you were saying you had those differences on the APP.

On the web, all you have are the higher XP for the capstone reviews & for the unit tests. I think I bagged lingots too for some capstone reviews on the web.

On the web, you may have noticed that it used to take five lessons to complete a level. That's the check marks. Now you have to complete six. The last one is called the capstone review.

Check your Duomes. If you did a capstone review in the last two weeks, the XP will be on your Duomes.

Svetlana 13

Post by Svetlana 13 »

b05aplmun.ca wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:28 pm

I can get a maximum of 15 points on regular exercises, 10 points on review exercises, and 28 points on the stories.
[/quote]

So can I on web-version. But i also have an APP where my maximum possible XP is 40.

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

Diamond leagues starting on Mondays usually are filled with homogeneous groups of learners.

• Exclusive website users are grouped
  • Long streak learners are overrepresented in some leagues. According to Duolingo only 6.6% of learners have a streak over one year. Yet in my league, I often notice more than half.
  • Learners ending among the first three are grouped, making it increasingly more difficult to win again, let alone survive in Diamond.

I try to avoid being among the first three.
Though website users have no early-bird or late-evening doubles, such rewards sometimes come at the end of a lessons round. Since friend quests have been generalized, 'double XP for 15 min' incentives are sent to and from. Completing a friend quest moreover adds a 30 min double XP. So XP inflation also hits website users.

Furthermore, increased competition is raising the XP range in a diamond league across the board. The below graph is the first diamond league I ever experienced where the last classified has 1000 XP. The demotion threshold (user 25) stands at 1476.

Until last year, I could easily stay in diamond gaining between 500 and 750 XP per week. Now twice as much doesn't guarantee anything.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

SweNedGuy
Belgium

XP Inflation at a higher pace

Post by SweNedGuy »

XP inflation is gearing up in Duolingo. I suspect that website users (as me) are no longer clustered in a separate league, sheltered from the double and triple XP craze in the app(s). The most obvious level shift is the demotion threshold, which used to range 1000-1500 for a diamond league starting on Mondays after 22:00. The demotion threshold now more than doubled to 3728.

Yours truly stands at position 17 with a 4001 XP score. There is no way you can achieve that with only lessons (267 all with maximum bonus) or 134 (with maximum bonus and constant double XP). Well, you could if DL were a full time job ...
As such I needed to indulge some XP farming: not to win the league, but merely to avoid demotion.

If you are the dealer, I am out of the game. Goodbye leagues ...

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

My wife and I once found ourselves in exactly the same league. This week we tried an experiment to see if we could make it happen again. We both started the week at the same time with the same story and pressed the "continue" button" together after a countdown.

I found myself in an easy league while hers was much tougher. We realised that it wasn't just about where and when you are in the World but also based on your xp scores the previous week. I have been trying to keep my xp low to avoid the big boys and it's worked. But now, I dare hardly breath on my phone app in case I find myself in the Diamond Tournament again.

I daren't do a double and spend a lot of time reviewing early 5 xp lessons.

John661162

Return to “Duolingo”