Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Best way to level up your tree?

Tips and tricks ...

Corinnebelle

Best way to level up your tree?

Post by Corinnebelle »

I finished my tree to the first level. I kind of employed the waterfall method with some of my own tweaks while aiming to get the tree done. Now I am wondering what is the best method to get to the next level once I get back on the bandwagon. Kind of laying back now and just relaxing after that effort and reviewing a lot of old material and doing whatever I want to do.

Edit: I am doing the work around to the one path to achieve this.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Re: Best way to level up your tree?

Post by FurbyZeKat »

Lay back and relax! On November 1st Duo will tell you what to do ;-)

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

FurbyZeKat wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:28 am

Now I' m trying to get as far as possible in the FR-IT course before 1 November. I'm already in the last chapter.
Before Duo tells me what to do

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

I think I did it wrong taking each branch to level 5 in one go. But I'm not sure going through the whole tree 5 times from start to finish - including the very basic stuff - would be good either. Maybe the new duo is a better idea...... Just saying.....

John661162

pj1506
France

Post by pj1506 »

John Little wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:34 am

I think I did it wrong taking each branch to level 5 in one go. But I'm not sure going through the whole tree 5 times from start to finish - including the very basic stuff - would be good either. Maybe the new duo is a better idea...... Just saying.....

I am taking the hybrid way: First complete all 6 levels of the basic stuff, then do the rest linearly from start to finish but two levels at a time: Complete level 2, then complete level 4, then level 6.

Last edited by pj1506 on Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arabic + Tagalog

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

I'm learning a new language, Turkish, and I've tried to follow as much as possible Duo's advices. Here is my tree with 34 crowns:

1st line done : 5
2nd line done : 5 5
3rd line towards level 5: 5 4+4
4th line towards level 4: 3+2 3+2
5th line towards level 3: 2+2
6th line towards level 2: 1+1
7th line towards level 1: 1

When all objectives are completed, I increase the target level for every line, and so on, so my new goals will be :
4th: 5 5
5th: 4
6th: 3
7th: 2
8th: 1

Then I'll start again doing one lesson per unit on all lines plus the next :
4th: 4+1 4+1
5th: 3+1
6th: 2+1
7th: 1+1
8th: 0+1

Etc...

The advantage is that it's not too repetitive, it's the perfect opposite of doing a whole unit to level 5 or 6, spending hours and days on the same topics, same words. It's the concept of spaced repetitions. When I'm done with lesson 1 of line 8, I'll go back to line 4, in that case it will be 6 lessons later (depending on your rythm it could be 1 to 6 days later, and note that this tree is not very wide, if you have many lines with 2 or 3 topics, it will take much longer).

As far as I have understood, Duo will lay the path according to this progression. And if you don't follow it, Duo will probably compute a point in the path. Before that point you'll find units you'll have done, and after this point you'll find a mix of units done and units not learned. So after you have finished a unit, Duo will unlock one or more units depending on your history.

This is of course only a theory, but it seems plausible to me and I'm pretty sure that if you follow a "standard" progression you won't be bothered by the path change.

PS: I still have an hesitation regarding checkpoint 1. Should I push all topics to level 5 or continue as if there was no checkpoint?
My current favorite option is to make all skills to level 5 and then do all legendary levels before going past the checkpoint. This would be like a kind of end of year examination.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Do you think we won't be able to use a workaround then? [See my edit.]

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:59 pm

Do you think we won't be able to use a workaround then? [See my edit.]

I would never make such an assumption!

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:52 am

Too late for you! But you might consider learning a new language.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

FurbyZeKat wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:15 am
MoniqueMaRie wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:52 am

Too late for you! But you might consider learning a new language.

Duo can lead me through Polish

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Return to “How to ...”