Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

In the future

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

Cifi

In the future

Post by Cifi »

Duolingo uses "dans le future", but accepts "a l'avenir" in a sentence. On the discussion page someone stated that the former would be an anglicism, is it?

Both expressions seem to be common, as far as I can tell after looking at the translations on Reverso context.

Interestingly, the preposition changes, so it's always dans with future and à with avenir? I.e. you wouldn't say "au future" or "dans l'avenir"?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: In the future

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

I'd rather have thought that the English "future" originated from the French "futur". In any case, both come from the Latin "futura", so I'd rather assume that it was originally French.

"avenir" from latin "advenire"

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Return to “Questions”