Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Update for New Duolingo Tree

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

dakanga

Update for New Duolingo Tree

Post by dakanga »

🚧 Under construction : Guidelines and more for the new Duolingo course
I apologize for this inconvenience, as I construct a string of linked posts for the 199 units of the new Duolingo path.
Please PM me, if you have concerns. Or comment on this temporary post concerning this disruption.
And I hope you will be understanding, and I hope that for some of you, you may find this resource useful.
I now have the skeleton of what I am hoping to create posted. And am adding frills and extra resources now. And filling in some gaps and cross checking. It is a very large task to provide all this.

To get an idea of what I am seeking to create for us all, check out : 🏞️ Duolingo PATH Overview
And
Unit 1 Guidebook and more

dakanga

Re: Update for New Duolingo Tree

Post by dakanga »

I am now having a break of possibly 8 hours. And will then return.

We are a bit over half way there on this. The end is in sight.
And then even better details will be added to all these posts.
Including looking into the word lists for each Unit.
Once we have passed this stage that is.

Thank you for your patience. I am so looking forward to this boring stage of creating the structure of the posts to be over, so we can get into more interesting things.

Edited :

Now at currently Unit 104, I am well into the Duolingo Stratosphere.
Guidebooks dropped out after unit 78.

Yet - still for my learning level, as well as my competency to be a guide, I need to continue to climb further.
🚀 ....
I am still in search of the Milky way ....... ... .

Thanks for being patient with me, as I continue this climb to the thinner air of the structured resources and support that Duolingo provides.

Thanks for allowing me to do this expedition of discovery.
I look forward to continue to share the notes I take, and hope it may be of use to someone else as well ...... ... .

Wish me luck - I still may not make it the goal of 199 units.
Though that is what I am aiming for - for my own self learning and resource creation to refer to. For so many reasons. But there is fair chance I will not reach this.
It is fun to see how far I go ............

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Thank YOU [mention]BlahBlah[/mention] for checking things and correcting things.

Thank you for being part of this flight.

Lets strap in and see how far we can make this rocket go !

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

hey [mention]BlahBlah[/mention] , and any others participating in and watching the flight of this rocket,

we have now reached the top of the propulsion part of this project.
I will give more details tomorrow.
However the noisy engines of many new posts stage has now been completed.
and we are now into the more interesting and much quieter stage. but the more fun stage for me.

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

Can you check the guidebook for Unit 45? I am seeing the details for unit 44 repeated.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Greatly thank you [mention]Saperlipopette![/mention] !!!!

Yes - it was a copy error on my behalf.

This has now been replaced by the correct information for Unit 45.
Thank you for checking things !!!!

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Oh - also as a mention, I am now also working on massaging the Duolingo stories into ... ....... ......... well, this new Duolingo Path setup.

I have completed the major set up now for course content for the French course for English speakers - as per what Duolingo makes available through its educators platform.
So now I am "spot the error/slip up" on that material.

While for stories - it is to get it accessible in the new Path order, and then add the "Stories word lists" that Duolingo makes available to Educators.

Thanks to all of what you do, to help improve things. For us - as a community.
Including pointing out things.
For making us a community where we talk about issues and seek to find better solutions. Including allowing different solutions that may be appropriate to different people/learning journeys. Where we don't "blame" others and play "I am better than you". Where we are a diverse and respectful community - of our needs and abilities. Where we seek to make things work, and we seek to work as a community.
For our own benefit, and for us as a community.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Do you still have the rectangular shaped blocks between the round "stepping stones" ?

And in the rectangular shaped blocks does it still stay things like "Unit x" , and for those that are Unit 78 and lower also offer a tab link to "GUIDEBOOK" ?

edited: I am very sad to hear if they were providing you with less/no information about any of the descriptions of the content.

For the version they have provided to my account, they never provided detail on the content of the stepping stones. This information was only available through https://schools.duolingo.com.

BlahBlah
Serbia

Post by BlahBlah »

dakanga wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:16 am

Do you still have the rectangular shaped blocks between the round "stepping stones" ?

Yes, I do. However, they no longer show unit titles. Neither do "stepping stones".

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

They made this change Wednesday night/ early Thursday morning.

When you clicked on a checkmark, it would bring up a dialogue box that had the name of the skill. Sometimes this name wasn't meaningful.

For instance, here was one skill

Unit 48-7 Make requests
Unit 49-6 Make requests
Unit 50-6 Make requests

You couldn't easily map 'Make requests' to the info in Duo for schools:

LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Talk about their home
Describe sequences of events
GRAMMAR
Past tense: passé composé with être (movement verbs)

WORDS INTRODUCED
LESSON 1
entrer, entré, entrée, sorti, sortie, sous la pluie, araignée

LESSON 2
monter, monté, montée, descendu, descendue, toit, à l'étage

LESSON 3
montés, montées, descendus, descendues, plafond, réfrigérateur, rentrer

LESSON 4
venu, venus, venue, venues, revenir, femme de ménage, homme de ménage

LESSON 5
partir, entrées, entrés, sortir, retourner, parapluie, par

That's probably why they changed it. What you could do, though, is match up the vocabulary with the vocabulary in the old word list:

At Home 4 : SEE TIP
1 . entrer, entré, entrée, sorti, sortie, sous la pluie, araignée
2 . monter, monté, montée, descendu, descendue, toit, à l'étage
3 . montés, montées, descendus, descendues, plafond, réfrigérateur, rentrer
4 . venu, venus, venue, venues, revenir, femme de ménage, homme de ménage
5 . partir, entrées, entrés, sortir, retourner, parapluie, par

From here I could say Make requests meant the old skill 4.09 At Home and I knew what I was getting. That sentence "Les araignées sont descendues du plafond" might come up, which we had a chuckle about in the proverbs section.

Now, everything comes up Review:

![](

I filed a bug report but how many others did ? I think Duo is taking the stance that, if a tree fell in the woods and no one was around to hear the noise, did the tree really fall?

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

I am so sad to hear this.

This - what in my books is dumbing down and making the resources - and this community - more like a game and not for learning.
And especially not allowing serendipitous learning.

To be all about gaming and treating people as a dumb product for manipulation.
Yet another way to make people a product. A widget for manipulation.
And discouragement of even being able to think beyond the slop that is served up to them.
Like pigs.
I love pigs. Pigs are very intelligent. Though that is not what - in ... to call it out ... in current human industrial farming practices - we treat them - often as of less worth even than a widget. Okay - lets try to climb out of this rabbit hole.

This is - it is also why this community here is so important.
For learners, and people that seek to be guides and educators for others.

Where we strive to empower and richen learning opportunities.

It is your engagement and input - it matters.
It is your questioning and push back - even of whatever ... well ... whatever even I produce. (ESPECIALLY anything I might put up !!!) And I do so many mistakes.
Yet I also hope we see this community not as a blame community. That we seek for this community to not be finger pointing - I am better than you community.

That we strive to be inclusive in our community. Inclusive of diversity. Of difference. Of how we build things.

Of how we talk about problems of concepts. And are supportive of each of us as individuals.

Seeking to assist us to find better ways to do things. By questioning things.

By being a community that builds things.

Thanks for allowing me to among such brilliant and questioning and inquisitive minds as you are.

Insieme - together.

BlahBlah
Serbia

Post by BlahBlah »

The more they change, the more I hope someone else will make a website such as theirs, but without all the unnecessary fluff... :x

update: Aaaand, the titles are back... :roll:

BlahBlah
Serbia

Post by BlahBlah »

In case anyone is interested, the titles are back again. Since they show up and disappear all the time, I'm going to assume that it's a bug.

Return to “Resources”