Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

What word is he using here?

Davey944676
Great Britain

What word is he using here?

Post by Davey944676 »

In the videoclip in this BBC article, could somebody tell me what word(s) the man is using which are being translated as "fit" and "not fit"? It is too fast for me to catch.

It initially caught my eye bevause I thought it must have been rather clumsily translated, as the context seems to suggest "eligible" rather than "fit".

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

DmGabin

Re: What word is he using here?

Post by DmGabin »

The word he uses is «пригоден» and the given translation as ‘fit’ is fine, in my opinion. He wants to say, he is not a military man, not someone who has sufficient capabilities/training.

Davey944676
Great Britain

Re: What word is he using here?

Post by Davey944676 »

DmGabin wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:05 pm

The word he uses is «пригоден» and the given translation as ‘fit’ is fine, in my opinion. He wants to say, he is not a military man, not someone who has sufficient capabilities/training.

Thanks for the reply! Your interpretation and my guess were identical - it is just that in my native British English "not fit" in that particular context could imply "not healthy enough" or even "not worthy" (in a scathing, derogatory sense), rather than simply "not suitable" or "not eligible" or whatever. :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Return to “Language”