Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Hast du ein Fach gehasst, als du jung warst? (en → de) Topic is solved

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, Cifi

sentence bot 🤖

Hast du ein Fach gehasst, als du jung warst? (en → de)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

Hast du ein Fach gehasst, als du jung warst?

en: Did you hate a subject when you were young?

Seiryuu
Canada

Re: Hast du ein Fach gehasst, als du jung warst? (en → de)

Post by Seiryuu »

I can't really hear it with the AI-generated voice, but would there be a difference in intonation when saying ein Fach versus einfach? At the time I assumed the sentence was asking something along the lines of "did you hate easily?"

:canada: – Native
:cn: (Cantonese) – Conversational
:de: – Low-intermediate | :it: – Low-intermediate | :jp: – Conversational

Cifi

Re: Hast du ein Fach gehasst, als du jung warst? (en → de)

Post by Cifi »

Unfortunately there are no sentences with "ein Fach" on forvo.com, but I can hear the difference even in TTS-generated audio. Einfach has more stress on "ein", while "ein Fach" stresses "Fach" more than "ein", I think.

I used "Ich habe ein Fach im Schrank leergeräumt" vs "Ich habe einfach den Schrank leergeräumt" on freetts.com, maybe you want to give it a try if you can here any difference there.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Return to “Sentence discussions”