Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Subforum for unit guidebooks

This is for Duome related issues only, about the Progress pages, about the Forum itself.
ATTENTION : For Duolingo issues, write to Duolingo support.

BlahBlah
Serbia

Subforum for unit guidebooks

Post by BlahBlah »

Could we get a subforum for unit guidebooks that user dakanga is making? Huge thanks to them, by the way! Their threads are very useful, but the sheer amount of units that Duoligo French has makes it a hard to read the forum. So I was thinking maybe we could have a subsection for units and stories, like we have for questions, sentence discussions, translations and proverbs.

Last edited by BlahBlah on Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Little
Brazil

The proliferation of "guides"

Post by John Little »

I'm sure a lot of work went into the creating and even posting all those French guides and we should be very grateful to dakanga but they're clogging up the general " new posts" thing.

Is there a way round that?

John661162

Explorer
Portugal

Re: The proliferation of "guides"

Post by Explorer »

Hi [mention]John Little[/mention]. I hope you're doing well;

New posts cannot be hidden. If you want to get notified when someone posted something of your interest, you can always subscribe to your favorite subforums. By doing this you make sure not to miss a single message you'd really want to read.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Could they not all go into one thread?

John661162

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

This appears to be timeline of the situation with the guides. Whether they end up in a thread or a subforum or remain the way they are, I am sure that the multiplicity of posts will fade into the past at some point and you will have the forum back to normal again soon with some vastly valuable information supplied by [mention]dakanga[/mention] added.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

dakanga

Re: Subforum for unit guidebooks

Post by dakanga »

G'day y'all 👋 ,

Sorry I have been quite a bit absent recently from these forums. A community that matters deeply to me, and each one of you here.

TLDR : Great questions are being asked, thank you. There are though VERY good reasons there are so many posts to address this new structure to accommodate the new Duolingo learning path

You are bring up so many great points for discussion. And I will be taking time to mull them over, and see what can be tweaked, and to also respond. While also bearing in mind our many diverse needs, and how they may perhaps be met, including that of a deeper and diverse understanding on one of the must current versions of the Duolingo tree that is out there. These changes have been significant. You can read more about it here : https://blog.duolingo.com/new-duolingo- ... en-design/. Including on how it can be maintained to accommodate constant tweaks through time, through the now existing strings of posts that have just been created, while still keeping resources from the past. While also including that we are all updated at different times to different versions, and also that sometimes there are work arounds, that for at least a time, allow you to retain access to an earlier version of a tree.

Discussing problems that people identify is a very positive thing for a community to do. Especially to do so in a respectful way to other people - and to honor that we have different needs, abilities, learning styles, and reasons why we are participating in this form. In a quick read of this thread, this is what people are doing.

I will - over time - come back and address the various issues people are raising. Yet I wish to assure you - there are some very good reasons why I have set this information out in these many posts - and they are proving instrumental in being able to continue to develop this resource, and allow also others to expand and deepen the resources on the topics of each unit in the new Duolingo PATH course. For those to whom it IS relevant, for this resource on content details to be a discussion that we in this community can contribute to - for the benefit of our own learning, and to share with others for their learning. Be you a student, or be you an educator or a host. Not just a static printout that can only be read and not added to by others, of some minimal facts about each unit in new Duolingo path.

Thank you also for your patience at this time, as I continue to bed (settle) in this resource. I do not earn money to be here, and there are many things in my real life I need to attend to. Which unfortunately for me has been also become more complicated as currently I am bed bound due to a structural challenge for my back, combined with hospital and medical visits requiring large slices of my time, and trying to think - as well as not think - about all the complications and realities this is currently causing me with this challenge.

So - each of you keep up the good work.

Keep questioning things, while also allowing the diversity and development of resources for language learning and continuing to build the wealth and vibrancy of this community.
Wishing you each all the best with your language learning.
Together - we achieve more - for ourselves - and for our community.
Thank you for the wealth you each bring to our world.

Insieme - Together.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Also, as a heads up - I believe all the posts for the "unit guidebooks" string of discussions have now been created.

The entire new course presentation structure has been covered (barring an error/slip up that has been done - but so far I have not found any.)

To the best of my current - and on going review - no new discussion posts are going to be required.
And this current structure I believe should accommodate any recent tweaks that we pick up that Duolingo does.
Though each of the current posts are still being tweaked for content correction, presentation and structure (i.e. links between them and also other discussions through this forum).

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Re the question by our [mention]John Little[/mention]

Could they not all go into one thread?

That is a good question. Though in short - no.

If they were all in just one post, it will effectively mute allowing adding to expanding on the content of each unit in the course.
It would become a static display of the information that Duolingo provides.
It would be much more like the way Duolingo presents this information to Educators. As a printed statement of some facts that Duolingo is choosing to share with registered educators.

While "a long post list" copy of the "overview" of Unit content that Duolingo provides to educators would be very limiting. And act in many ways similar to how Duolingo even provides this information to Educators. As a resource that you can only read - in a static form. You can not interact with it. You can not share insights and further resources on the content. It would become a statement of selected information.

Having each current unit in the new Duolingo learning path presented as an independent discussion means that we as a community can also embellish on the topics of that unit, within this separate discussion related to that particular unit. And to give a better chance for extended and serendipitous and engaging learning opportunities.

Having this information presented in a Unit by Unit discussion also unlocks this information to us as a community. Instead of being locked away only for people who register as educators in https://schools.duolingo.com/.
To meet this need only - the suggestion of having this presented in one long post - it would meet this very limited need.
Yet I am seeking to make possible much more than what Duolingo elects to provide to educators. As well as much more than what Duolingo provides to non registered Duolingo educators.

Having separate discussions on each unit as well enables us to tie back to other discussion posts that address content that each Unit is seeking to cover. Including between units.

To seek to meet this different needs on only one very long post I see would be more complicated, including for others to expand and contribute and engage with the content of each Unit in the Duolingo course.

For a brief overview of the entire course in one post, you can check out : 🏞️ Duolingo PATH Overview Yet this does not cover the details the Unit by Unit discussion posts do - yet - allows you a quick access point to jump to these separate discussions.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

The point by our [mention]Corinnebelle[/mention]

I am sure that the multiplicity of posts will fade into the past at some point and you will have the forum back to normal again soon

I also second.
And one of the best ways to make that happen is to put up new and educationally enriching posts about language learning topics relevant for the particular forum.

Also to mention, this string of posts is only affecting the one forum - that of the French one. I have no intention of extending this to other target languages. It is taking me a lot of effort to produce this. Also of course - as I am having to retool all my resources to be able to do this in the ever changing Duolingo environment.

It is with great hope and expectation that I enjoy seeing our community engagement increase.
Including by posts that address good issues, as is this post by our [mention]BlahBlah[/mention] .

(Though as a subnote, the pronouns that are appropriate for myself is "they / them / their". Not her. I am "Lin" daKanga, named after my Grandfather and Uncle. )

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]dakanga[/mention] This is my fault. I thought you were a woman not a guy! Oops! Sorry! [mention]BlahBlah[/mention]

Sorry to hear you're laid up!

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Oh Corinbelle ! It is not problem. I do not expect people to know the correct pronoun in relation to me.
You are not at fault. No Sorry needed.
And more than that - I am so grateful for all the significant and inspiring things you do in and for this community. I admire you and you also inspire me.
It is also good to have discussions like this. About issues of gender assumption. But in this case, I hope you don't mind me getting back on this topic.

I continue to toy about the proposal of creating a separate forum for this list of about 199 discussions, plus a few additional ones.
Which would be a way to avoid this rare occasion where Duolingo does a restructure of contents of its course.
And I also hear the argument, that in this case the contents have largely remained the same, yet it is the presentation that has changed. So, again, a string of posts such as this is also not needed.
And I would like to address this.

In this case, I consider the presentation does count. As it is through the presentation that we address units. And with this new display, it is changing the way we can access the information in the units.

Another issue that worries me if we move all posts like this to a separate forum, is that when people, I hope ultimately, ask a question, or disagree with something about the content of the unit, it is less likely to be seen. As over time, as with other overview guideline posts - people do engage less with actual sharing of information and asking questions about a certain topic.

While, over time, when this occurs, this most on a specific unit discussion will rise up to the attention of people who are watching this forum, to assist people with the language learning questions in this target language.

1. Also, Duolingo have done some shuffling of the Stories through the units, with this new Duolingo path format.

2. To talk to the past, what I did in the old Duolingo forums (when I became aware of this option, etc), is I would post the new "budding" Unit / guide / Story numerous content "posts in a "quiet/non active forum. And then wait about a week or so (to when I also had time to move the posts), into the forum they really related. In the Duolingo Forum system, this means they did not appear in the top of the forum, so were not as much noticed by people.
    I do wonder - if this might also occur in this Duome forum ? If it was I or someone else took on producing this information for the languages.
    Or, if it is before an endeavor like this became again the desire for someone to produce, if there could be another "feature" when creating the header/top post in a discussion thread, that you could have it "hidden" for a period of a weekish, before it then joined all the other posts in their display order - as it would have, and thus be "buried" by the more recent posts.
    Though if the forum was not active, this same effect would happen, that the posts would not be "buried". And - if you ask me, these forums, such as the learning French for English speakers, even it is still a quiet forum in Duome forums. So even this solution would not have the desired affect that is being proposed. I thought it appropriate to include this.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]dakanga[/mention] One generally thinks of Lin as feminine but that must be the masculine form.

I think what you say about a subforum is true in that it is not as visible, but people do check and answer sentence discussions and with the low traffic at present and also the ability to subscribe as well as look for new posts on the forum, the visibility is not that bad. You need to figure out the system that will work for you, since you are the one who is making these unit guides.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Our wonderful [mention]BlahBlah[/mention] has commenced making posts for word lists separated by CEFR level, such as at :

viewtopic.php?t=7466-duolingo-french-to ... -word-list

These are impressive. And I am looking into how perhaps to use this sort of structure instead - being to expand off the work of BlahBlah - to add to it, to meet the needs I am seeking to meet.

Thankyou BlahBlah !

BlahBlah
Serbia

Post by BlahBlah »

You're welcome. :D

Well, for starters, maybe we could expand my threads by adding links to the corresponding topics that you started?

Also, if anyone is up for it, my thread could do with some color coding. I would probably do it if I had more time and was not so lazy...

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

A person that is truly lazy does not do the things you do BlahBlah.
I suspect you are doing that thing that we Ozzie/Aussie's can do, of saying, I'm not really that good. When we should take the praise.

You are doing great things BlahBlah !!!
Unique and great things !

Thank you for not just great things like this simple and effective presentation.
Also importantly for questioning things, and seeking better solutions and other solutions.

Thank you for what you do and give to this community.
It is greatly appreciated.

I though am "re jigging" my source information, and also simplifying it, so I am likely to be able to assist in this regard, and when I have it ... lets say more stable and simpler - while still offering a depth of search and reset columns, I will also share the link here, incase it may be a resource for others to take this also on some other romps of opportunities. At the moment though - it is not quite ready.

It is such fun to see what we as a community can create !

Return to “Troubleshooting Duome”