Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

pro vs por

eppleptar
United States of America

pro vs por

Post by eppleptar »

can someone explain the difference between pro and por for me? i thought pro was because of something but i've seen it use to represtent for as well. why not use por? what's the distinction?

Julian_L.
Argentina

Re: pro vs por

Post by Julian_L. »

Do you have some of those sentences with that usage of «pro» to compare them? PIV describes «pro» precisely how you did in the first place. Unless you meant that "Dankon pro la bongusta vespermanĝo!" sentence. Well:

• Thank you for the delicious dinner! = I thank you because dinner was delicious.

Now keep in mind that comment of Salivanto:

salivanto wrote:

For reasons unrelated to logic, por is more often used with infinitives, which leads you to the following rule of thumb (followed by many but not all speakers):

Say:

• dankon por (verb)

• dankon pro (noun)

PIV also mentions that Zamenhof used «por» after «danki»:

Rim. 4 Tie ĉi oni devas klasi la Z-an uzadon de por post danki: mi dankas vin tre kore por via promeso dissendi […]

:argentina:N :it: Image

eppleptar
United States of America

Post by eppleptar »

Dankon, tio helpas. Mi ankoraux estas komencanto.

salivanto
United States of America

Post by salivanto »

Julian_L. wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:46 am

salivanto wrote:

For reasons unrelated to logic, por is more often used with infinitives, which leads you to the following rule of thumb (followed by many but not all speakers) (snip)

Hey - This is my first time visiting this forum. It warms my heart to see some of my answers living on here! Thanks so much.

Tomaso ALEXANDER
Professional certified Esperanto teacher
EsperantoBlog.com / esperanto.ck.page

Ady
Canada

Post by Ady »

salivanto wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:37 pm
Julian_L. wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:46 am

salivanto wrote:

For reasons unrelated to logic, por is more often used with infinitives, which leads you to the following rule of thumb (followed by many but not all speakers) (snip)

Hey - This is my first time visiting this forum. It warms my heart to see some of my answers living on here! Thanks so much.

Just to transcribe Salivanto's actual rule of thumb (somehow missing above), it was: "Say 'Dankon por [verb]' and 'Dankon pro [noun]'.

...but of course bear in mind that that and the whole discussion thus far has been about 'pro' vs. 'por' when following 'dankon'. Outside of sentences to do with thanking, there are many, many times when you would use 'por' followed by a noun. In fact I would guess it's more common on the whole than 'por' followed by a verb.

Ne estas facila esti verda. :mrgreen: :star:

Return to “Esperanto”