Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

What is the correct way to proceed with the Duolingo tree?

Tips and tricks ...

pj1506
France

What is the correct way to proceed with the Duolingo tree?

Post by pj1506 »

Is it more like completing L1 tree, then L2 tree etc .. i e. just completing one level for a given skill and then moving to the next skill and doing the same etc..
OR
Is it more like completing all 6 levels for one given skill, and therefore staying with a L0 tree all along your study and at the very end getting all your tree levels completed quasi simultaneously as you complete the 6 levels for the last skill of the tree?

Arabic + Tagalog

John Little
Brazil

Re: What is the correct way to proceed with the Duolingo tree?

Post by John Little »

I did your last suggestion. I did every part of the tree to level 5. Then went back and paid the gems to take each one to level 6.

The problem I noticed, is that I became a "temporary expert" on each part of the tree until I did the next part and then forgot the first one.

My friend did it the other way round, doing everything one level at a time.

But the later lessons are ghosted until you complete so much of the early ones

John661162

back4morelater
Great Britain

Post by back4morelater »

This is one suggested way from Duo's blog https://blog.duolingo.com/whats-the-bes ... -duolingo/

And the new home screen layout/path as detailed here https://blog.duolingo.com/new-duolingo- ... en-design/ is their attempts to guide users through the tree/path in this way

If I do each skill to level 5 or legendary before moving on them I'm not learning the language I'm remembering the answers to the questions that I've done so many times before. And it doesn't fit with theories involving spaced repetition

Though I'm not sure that there is one correct way for all users

water_color

Post by water_color »

Before the invention of the new learning path, I used the following approach:

1. Master every skill to Level 2 and then move to the next one. Level 1 is definitely not enough to get an active (and even passive) knowledge of the new content, but L2 is just enough to get a reasonable understandind of it and memorize most of the new words and grammar concepts.
  2. After the tree is completed, revisit each skill and master it to L3.
  3. If the knowledge of the course content is already strong enough after the second step, L4 and L5 can be tested out. If not then fully revisit (not just test out) certain skills again.
  4. Then the practice button can be used (or legendary challenges but I wasn't aware of their existance before seeing the new path).

In the new path, each skill is supposed to be learned to L3, also, practice of previously learned things is built into the path. That doesn't differ that much from my approach, and is even better in some ways, so generally I don't mind following the path.

pj1506
France

Post by pj1506 »

John Little wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:57 pm

But the later lessons are ghosted until you complete so much of the early ones

Once you complete the level 1 tree all lessons are unghosted...

Arabic + Tagalog

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Which begs the question, when are you finished with Duolingo? I think when you know the course material. That might L3 L5 or beyond depending on your experience and the difficulty of the language.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

pj1506
France

Post by pj1506 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:52 pm

Which begs the question, when are you finished with Duolingo?

I think not before you are done with L6 tree...
Then reaching 30k XP and L25 is even better....
But even with that, in most cases you are still at CEFR B1+...🤣 so it's urgent to move on...

Arabic + Tagalog

Return to “How to ...”