Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Do you agree with the prioritizing of XPs in the ordering of your languages on your duome user page?

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

pj1506
France

Do you agree with the prioritizing of XPs in the ordering of your languages on your duome user page?

Post by pj1506 »

Would you like an alternative ranking system like prioritizing the crown number or tree levels?

Illustration:

by Tree level, and by number of crowns as secondary criterium.

French L4 300 crowns
Swahili L3 350 crowns
Greek L3 320 crowns
Arabic L1 400 crowns

by number of crowns, and by Tree level as secondary criterium.

Arabic L1 400 crowns
Swahili L3 350 crowns
Greek L3 320 crowns
French L4 300 crowns

Arabic + Tagalog

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: Do you agree with the prioritizing of XPs in the ordering of your languages on your duome user page?

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Since XP became inflationary, they have actually ceased to have any meaning. I only pay attention to crowns

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Re: Do you agree with the prioritizing of XPs in the ordering of your languages on your duome user page?

Post by FurbyZeKat »

Crowns are the most useful tracker.

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:11 pm

Since XP became inflationary, they have actually ceased to have any meaning. I only pay attention to crowns

Hi, I also pay special attention to crowns and they are important to me! :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

luciennet
France

Post by luciennet »

With the new path the levels are no longer relevant, and they don’t show crowns. Instead they have units, and the underlying data is skills?

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

If it only concerns ordering progress among your own courses, XP inflation should not matter too much. Unless you have a very different 'learning style' on one single course (focusing on XP rather than crowns and using the app instead of the website) your XP/Crown will remain in a certain range. Courses with stories (if you aren't bored reading them) may increase your XP/crown. Completing a successful placement test is a drag on your XP/Crown. Some courses have many more skills, hence many more crowns and the XP potential is also much higher.

With the path instead of the skills tree, I don't know what our language table on DuoMe will look like.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

I wouldn't change anything this side of the big change. See how it goes and take it from there.

But I agree that XP is counter productive

John661162

SimbiAni
United States of America

Post by SimbiAni »

While I agree that overall XP can be meaningless, I personally like using it to rank my languages, ie keep them staggered in a certain order of importance of how much I am working on them, if that makes sense, as well as prioritizing which ones to work on next. XPoints are the most easiest way to do that, for example: If French is 4400, Italian is 4200, Spanish 4000, Portuguese shd be 3800, etc & so on. I find that really works well for me xD

🇺🇸 = fluent from youth & only one to 'stick'; 🇨🇦 = lifelong from nonblood relatives
🇩🇴🇵🇷 = lifelong exposure via local cultures; 🇮🇹 = for discovering genetic heritage
🇧🇷 = cuz why not; 🇰🇷🇯🇵 = L❤VE!! +24 more lol omg https://duome.eu/SimbiAni

pj1506
France

Post by pj1506 »

The new one-path system changes everything.
Notwithstanding that, given that the size of courses greatly varies (for instance the Chinese course is 4 times longer than the Latin course), it is impossible to form an unbiased picture of the situation by any standard, except maybe looking at the overall picture - all courses aggregated for a single user - and comparing the ratio crowns/XP among users.

Arabic + Tagalog

Return to “Duolingo”