Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

What does everyone think about the new Duo style? (Not hating or anything, just trying to get some perspective)

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

eaglefin31
United States of America

What does everyone think about the new Duo style? (Not hating or anything, just trying to get some perspective)

Post by eaglefin31 »

I'm not sure how I feel about the new style of Duolingo personally, it seems a lot more "gam-ey" to me if you know what I mean. I understand that it says it's supposed to help, but I'm not sure how well this will work, especially concerning how they translated the progress. I just wish there was some explanation of what skills translated into what category. For example, I had the entire first two checkpoints at legendary or gold, and at least level one in every other lesson, but when they translated it over I had the first couple checkpoints at legendary and up to 26 at gold, with no other progress. I don't know how this worked, but I feel like I lost all my skills that were level 4 and down. I just got so confused with the system that I decided to start fresh, and I deleted all my progress in my Russian language tree, and I'm starting the whole thing over. I'm interested to see what everyone else has to say!

P.S. If I put this in the wrong category, I'm very sorry!

​Lead the sword with your body, and you will become one with it.
-Miyamoto Musashi

Corinnebelle

Re: What does everyone think about the new Duo style? (Not hating or anything, just trying to get some perspective)

Post by Corinnebelle »

eaglefin31 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:55 pm

P.S. If I put this in the wrong category, I'm very sorry!

No worries! I just popped it into the right one. Discussions. :)

I feel like I wonder whether I will be able to learn with this system. Hebrew being a hard language. I don't know how I will do it. I am still practicing things to learn them properly that I have got to legendary. I think part of the problem with that is that some of the skills have so many lessons, that legendary doesn't really test them properly to make sure you know them. I suppose most of the learning will be done via the practice with this new system. It will be interesting to see how this goes. Rather like a textbook that keeps reviewing stuff until you know it. I can see it snowballing and getting overwhelming. But then I don't have the new system yet. Thankfully! :)

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

ElmerRamone
United States of America

Re: What does everyone think about the new Duo style? (Not hating or anything, just trying to get some perspective)

Post by ElmerRamone »

I know this isn't exactly answering your initial question. I'm still navigating. But as to legendary skills: I think that paying lingots for them is effectively limiting their usage. I know some people say that you shouldn't try them until you're good and ready. But I've discovered that by its very demanding nature, the legendary skill test can force us to do it over and over and hammer it into our heads. But then you run out of lingots. I suppose that's the point. Duo wants you to buy Premium for the unlimited legendary access. It might be worth it just for that. I don't know. I have thousands of lingots, but I figured it out mathematically, and just bringing my tree to gold doesn't give me enough lingots to do all the legendary tests, even if I ace them all the first time. So, repeat practice is necessary to build up the lingot count. Not a bad thing, but still. Tricky, isn't it?

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

Overall, I don’t mind the new path, though I do like the old one better.
Only one thing annoys me with the new path: the inability to practice legendary or gold skills.
Once you are finished with a course, you’re finished. I know many Duolingo users who just stayed around once they had finished their course, just to practice and keep up with that language. That is now unavailable, I think it’s possible that Duolingo will lose a lot of users because of that.

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Post by FurbyZeKat »

I'm still with the old tree but could test the new one with another account. I'm eagerly awaiting the change and here is why:

• I'm already using a straightforward cascading navigation, in other words I already follow a strictly defined path as advocated by Duolingo.

• I try legendary levels only when the golden tree is complete, like a kind of final examination.

• I never go back to previous lessons, unless the golden egg is broken.

• I never know when to do stories, their integration into the path is a good point.

• the tips, when available, cover all five levels and only one topic, I'm pretty sure that their new integration has a better potential for great tips.

• I've used other methods, like Assimil, they also propose a fixed optimal path.

• When a tree is done, I never come back, you're supposed to use other resources if you want to go further with a language.

• I'm using Duo everyday, went out of leagues, repeat everything loud, which are the major advices when learning, this might explain why I don't feel the need to go back to previous lessons.

So, I'm pretty happy with Duo's choices and don't understand all these complaints.

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

water_color

Post by water_color »

Jacko079 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:43 am

Only one thing annoys me with the new path: the inability to practice legendary or gold skills.
Once you are finished with a course, you’re finished. I know many Duolingo users who just stayed around once they had finished their course, just to practice and keep up with that language. That is now unavailable, I think it’s possible that Duolingo will lose a lot of users because of that.

If you need more practice than the new path can give you, you can delete all your progress and start anew (and if you don't want to do the most basic stuff you can "test out" some things and move to the point you want to start from).

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

I haven't gotten it yet but based on what I've heard I don't like it :?

mainly because of this:

eaglefin31
United States of America

Post by eaglefin31 »

Wow, thanks so much! I learned a lot, and thanks [mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] for moving it!

​Lead the sword with your body, and you will become one with it.
-Miyamoto Musashi

BlahBlah
Serbia

Post by BlahBlah »

What do you mean? I am using a web version, and I can practice the finished lessons...

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

I'm totally lost in my courses that I'm farther into, but it's fine with my courses that are near the beginning.

I'm as dry as a mouse.

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

BlahBlah wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:25 pm

What do you mean? I am using a web version, and I can practice the finished lessons...

Hmm, maybe it is only unavailable for some users.

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

Deleted User 1929

Post by Deleted User 1929 »

Overall, I don’t mind the new path, though I do like the old one better.

Hmm, that’s weird because I can practice legendary skills. 🤔

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Good news! A user from the Spanish forum got the update and claims that he's able to practice already completed lessons.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

BethHall20
United States of America

Post by BethHall20 »

Because so many things are still randomly tested among the app users, the ability to practice prior skills may continue to vary. In my current app version, I am able to practice completed skill bubbles (legendary and otherwise) for 5XP (up to 10XP if perfectly accurate), compared to the website version giving 10xp to practice gold and legendary skills regardless of accuracy, or practicing for hearts in the app, which also earns 10XP (up to 15XP for perfect accuracy).

Personally, I am not the biggest fan of the new pathway style. I felt like a lot of my progress was lost in the switch, despite assurances to the contrary. It took several weeks for me to feel like I was covering anything remotely new. I am still struggling to map new lessons from the path in the app to my web tree, and it appears that the pathway in the app only takes you to level 3 on the original tree. I prefer the tree version on the website, in part because I already followed an extended cascade method that gave me a nice rainbow of colors as I scrolled. (I basically had 4 skills at each crown level below those at golden crown level 5). Spaced repetition was therefore built into my method, as I only worked on the oldest skill bubble within each crown level.

I also like that I can choose when to do stories on the web version, as I often choose specific stories in order to bring may daily XP total to a multiple of 10. The only way to access stories with the pathway in the app is on the path itself or in the practice hub, but the hub only shows stories you already completed in the path, and neither way shows the XP value before you start. And the stories coming up in the pathway for me are about 20 levels below the story levels I had already completed in the web browser. I really wish they would just leave the web tree version alone, and will be upset if these changes affect the stories pages too.

Relearning 🇪🇸

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

1st of November us, apparently. Mrs Little is still partway through the old system so it'll be interesting to see how it affects her. I'm just practising now so maybe the new system will give me a new target

John661162

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

BethHall20 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:46 am

and it appears that the pathway in the app only takes you to level 3 on the original tree.

I remember reading someone making a similar comment some time ago - is that for real? Or maybe the high levels are tucked away at the very end of the (seemingly never ending) path? In my personal experience, these upper levels are the levels where I feel I'm actually learning. On the lower levels, I'm mostly guessing and not really retaining too much new information. On the upper levels, I'm finally forced to learn/apply correctly grammar and vocabulary. Yes, it means each lesson takes longer, and yes it means I make mistakes in the upper levels - that's called learning.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

luciennet
France

Post by luciennet »

Perhaps read through past posts as there has already been a lot of discussion on this topic. Plus read the duolingo blog and help resources - it is all explained.

Different people have different experiences as different features are rolled out to different users - so we are comparing apples to oranges.

New path took me a little getting used to however I am a fan. Most the things people complain about don’t match my experience, what features I have access to. Only thing I’d say I don’t like is superficial (the visual layout of the path, which makes it feel endless).

No progress was “lost” in the switch over, but how it was visually represented changed so for some people - if they didn’t tend to level up their skills to level 3 or higher - might have gone from a compete level 1 tree to being down at a low unit on the path.

However, under the hood, as you can see with duome, all the completion data is still there. When you get to the related point in the path, it will fast track through bits you’ve already done.

Seems a bit extreme to go “I can’t see all my progress… so I’ll delete it all and start again”. However, at the end of the day ‘progress’ on the app isn’t as important as what you actually learn and know. You can test out of units if they are too easy.

GrahamW
Canada

Post by GrahamW »

I've been planning to write a post discussing Duolingo's changing approach to spaced repetition, as IMHO this was the single most impressive feature provided by Duolingo. I have no hands-on experience of the new path, but Duolingo's blog post on the new path https://blog.duolingo.com/new-duolingo- ... en-design/ is devoid of any detailed information about spaced repetition, beyond noting that the path will have "a mix of lessons, with some that cover brand-new concepts and some that cover previously introduced concepts you need to review". That implies that you get review material as you work your way through the path, but what about when you want to go back to refresh some particular aspect of the course. I understand that it's now possible to practice past lessons in the path (apparently it wasn't in early versions of the path structure), but does Duolingo give you any guidance (such as the crack/restore feature of the current trees, or the skill strength of past trees) as to which past lessons to practice? I find it hard to believe that the further down the path one goes that the imbedded review lessons will provide sufficient repetition of previous material. One final question: is the imbedded review material tailored to the individual, or does every user get the same review material in an specific review lesson?

🇨🇦 > :it: :fr: :es: Image :de: Image 🇬🇷 :brazil: 🇨🇳

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

new path: the inability to practice legendary or gold skills.
Once you are finished with a course, you’re finished.

Oh, goodness! That's definitely of concern for me. I guess I'll see how I feel about it come November 1, when they push the new path to all of us. Without access to review, I'll probably cancel my premium membership. I might even relinquish my streak and abandon Duolingo entirely.

Anyway, now that I've discovered LingQ, I'm finding my self less enamored of Duolingo.
Though it was a very useful in helping me learn some basic vocabulary and grammar.

Anglo-American (English): Native // Français (French): Intermediate // Deutsch (German): Beginner

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

This new style is a very bad news for me, because it lacks much more tools I find useful for learning languages than the old version of Duolingo. And of course, it looks like a big mess: every good book or web page has a content, an easy guide to see it all and navigate through it exactly where you need to go - there is absolutely nothing like it in the new version and it shows even much less overal view of the course than the old one.

1) I had 2 finished courses on legendary level. Both of them got less numbers than the original number of skills was in each of them, and in each of them I was now asked to do one lesson to rise from golden to legendary. In both off these languages, I got the easiest tasks imaginable (something like Level 1 in the old courses, but sententes from all over the original course), 40XP for finishing them and the courses became blue=legendary. There are no broken legendary skills any more, but you can get, what you "need" to practise by clicking on that moving symbol on the left. Unfortunately, I always get Level 1 difficulty tasks and the simplest sentences, which is useless. Lessons are organized in a different order now and it is really hard (ot better to say - impossible) to find the topic you need to practise (i.g., past perfect or other tenses, vocabulary about traffic etc.).

2) I do not like the idea of mixing stories into the course line, because they do not match the knowledge level achieved in the course before them: they contain much more advanced grammar, lots of unfamiliar vocabulary... (thankfully, you can at least let duolingo show you the proper translation of each word in the story sentence). But you cannot skip these stories, because some words from them are used in the next lessons. I quite wonder though, how they solved the fact, that the old version used one synonym in lessons and the other one in stories (e.g., "soccer" in English lessons and "football" in English stories).

3) My progress in two unfinished courses has changed without any logic, as mentioned in discussion above. In one of the courses, I was offered a test to achieve the legendary level, but it was just to lose 10 lingots, because I have never seen any of the sentences in the old course and never learned that vocabulary. As the sentences and "skills" are now in a completely different order, it does not mean you know already everything what is "behind you", when you are standing in the middle of the course. The only way to continue study on Duolingo is to throw away everything you have done so far, all your notes and vocabulary lists and start fresh from the beginning, which is - after months or even years of everyday learning - not pleasant at all, to be polite.

There is still a back-up of the good old Duolingo here: https://www-internal.duolingo.com/learn However, I was warned that it does not record your progress any more. But you can still earn XP's in it for stories etc. , that appear to be counted in the "snake" version too. You can still practise specific skills through your profile on Duome too. When these last remains disappear and the "snake" will be the only way you can study on Duolingo, I am leaving (although I am not happy about leaving behind all my achievements including being listed in Duome halls of fame), because I will not learn anything this way and clicking games based on good luck are not my style.

Return to “Duolingo”