Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Some errors I often make and think they must come from Spanish

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

Cifi

Some errors I often make and think they must come from Spanish

Post by Cifi »

At first, I seemed more or less unable to say oui instead of si, but luckily I seem to have overcome this.

But I still forget to include the subject pronoun sometimes, and as both German and English never drop them, I concluded I must be thinking in Spanish when this happens.

The other thing is the placement of pronouns with modal verbs. I have a hard time to remember to put them between modal verb and infinitive (as in "Je dois me brosser les cheveux"), because this is the position that would not work in Spanish.

Has anyone experienced similar problems?

Last edited by dakanga on Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to assist it being seen

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: Some errors I often make and think they must come from Spanish

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

I often get the position of the modal verb wrong when I am doing FR-IT and I read one language and have to translate it into the other.

But: I have never forgotten the subject pronoun in French. Maybe because I've been learning French for quite a while: first for five years at school, now for more than three years with Duolingo and other methods (reading, speaking)

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

dakanga

Re: Some errors I often make and think they must come from Spanish

Post by dakanga »

Hello [mention]Cifi[/mention] ,

I have currently had your post stickied, so that it does not get hidden by all the "Unit x Guidebook and more" posts that are being produced at the moment.

Thank you to all the community for participating in discussions.

Return to “French”