Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

"Click to speak" button stopped working Topic is solved

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

EranBarLev
Israel

"Click to speak" button stopped working

Post by EranBarLev »

In the Duolingo stories in conversation mode, the "click to speak" button stopped working for me. The button appears, but when I try to click it nothing happens. It doesn't respond. It did work for me until Sunday. I double checked in the settings page that the "speaking exercises" option is enabled. Has this happened to anyone else?

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Re: "Click to speak" button stopped working

Post by trackerwannabe »

It hasn't been working for me for some time now. I'm at the point where I habitually click "Can't Speak Now."

If I try to use it, it immediately responds with «Hum... Ce n'est pas tout à fait ça. Essaie encore.» (It used to respond in English. I don't know why it's now responding in French. Maybe because I've been spending a lot of time on the French->English tree lately?)

This is on the android phone app. I haven't seen the feature on the web version.

Good to know I'm not alone in having problems with this feature.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

trackerwannabe wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:05 pm

If I try to use it, it immediately responds with «Hum... Ce n'est pas tout à fait ça. Essaie encore.» (It used to respond in English. I don't know why it's now responding in French. Maybe because I've been spending a lot of time on the French->English tree lately?)

I don't even get that. It keeps saying "click to speak" no matter how many times I click it.

If you're doing English from French, Duo assumes your native language is French, so all your interface is supposed to be in French.

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

EranBarLev wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:28 pm

If you're doing English from French, Duo assumes your native language is French, so all your interface is supposed to be in French.

Yes, that's true. But I get that response (en français) even after I switch back to French from English.
I'm guessing it's a bug, but it's not one I care much about.

EranBarLev wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:28 pm

I don't even get that. It keeps saying "click to speak" no matter how many times I click it.

Do you even get the "Can't Speak Now" option?

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

trackerwannabe wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:56 pm

Do you even get the "Can't Speak Now" option?

Yes, I have it. But I'd rather just quit the lesson and do the deleted stories (not in conversation mode) until it's hopefully fixed.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Update: It works now! :)

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

Sadly, it still doesn't work for me. I guess my issue is different.

buho

Post by buho »

trackerwannabe wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:25 pm

Sadly, it still doesn't work for me. I guess my issue is different.

it could be due to so many reasons. here are some i can think of, along with possible solutions:

• your device's speech-to-text not working: could be because Google(whose speech to text comes preinstalled on android) has made a breaking change, or maybe the URL for sending speech to their servers isn't resolving. For this, you can try updating speech-to-text(called speech services by google on play store). If it doesn't work, try clearing its app data and cache.

• it's a duolingo bug: try clearing app data (and/or cache) of Duolingo, or try updating it.

• Duolingo doesn't have permissions: allow voice permission in settings.

if all of above fails, then maybe try web version of Duolingo. Install it as a PWA(progressive web app) so that you get an almost native app experience.

else you can disable speaking exercises on Duolingo, and can say the sentences out loud by yourself. this is what i do. :)

Return to “Duolingo”