Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Bit of a weird one... Topic is solved

Will709432

Bit of a weird one...

Post by Will709432 »

When I woke up this morning I felt really tired (having been up half the night) and as I lay there I said to myself "I could sleep all day". I wondered how I would say that in Swedish (was reading Swedish the night before so it's on my mind)...

Thinking it's pretty simple, my first thought was Jag skulle kunde sova hela dagen ... but then I thought saying in English "I could sleep all day" is not really a statement of intent but a way of saying "I feel I could maybe if I had the chance" sleep all day though not really intending to, so perhaps kunde is wrong.

So I thought maybe tänkte, or ska, I intend to sleep all day. But then that doesn't seem right either because like I said I'm not really saying in English that I actually intend to do this but that I feel I could.

So perhaps Jag skulle sova hela dagen is correct. But does using skulle that way mean I wanted to-?

If forced to say it I would say "jag kunde nog sova hela dagen" .

So which is correct when what I really mean is I feel as if I could sleep all day?

Is it simply Jag känner att jag kunde sova hela dagen or jag kunde nog sova hela dagen

Crahdol
Japan

Re: Bit of a weird one...

Post by Crahdol »

[mention]Will709432[/mention]

You're pretty close with your first guess. In Swedish it would be phrased as Jag skulle kunna sova hela dagen.

The same applies for sentences like I would like to..., which in Swedish is Jag skulle vilja...

As you can see, both kunna and vilja uses dictionary form. I don't really know why, but I believe it is simply a set construction.

As for your other suggestions:
Jag skulle sova hela dagen - Since you're using skulle (past tense) this indicate that it was your intention (to sleep all day), and suggests that it is not longer the case.
Jag kunde nog sova hela dagen - This one doesn't really work. It's a mix of tenses. Still, disregarding that, using nog gives the sense that you're not sure about the statement.
Jag känner att jag kunde sova hela dagen - Again, this mix of tenses doesn't work.

Also note, be careful not to confuse this construction with Jag ska + <verb in dictionary form> which is used to state intention (like I will/intend to <verb>).

Vänliga hälsningar/Best Regards/よろしくお願いします
Crahdol
| 🇸🇪: Native | 🇬🇧: Fluent | 🇯🇵: N5 |

Will709432

Post by Will709432 »

As usual, more useful than my Routledge Swedish Grammar (which cost me thirty quid!).
Thanks. :)

Will709432

Post by Will709432 »

Crahdol wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:29 am

Jag känner att jag kunde sova hela dagen - Again, this mix of tenses doesn't work.

so would det känns som om jag skulle kunna sova hela dagen be wrong also?

Alternative maybe ... Jag kände för att sova hela dagen...

Crahdol
Japan

Post by Crahdol »

Both are valid,

Will709432 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:57 am

so would det känns som om jag skulle kunna sova hela dagen be wrong also?

This one describes how you're feeling right now.

Will709432 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:57 am

Alternative maybe ... Jag kände för att sova hela dagen...

This one is past tense, so here you're describing how you felt earlier (and perhaps you didn't actually sleep all day)

Vänliga hälsningar/Best Regards/よろしくお願いします
Crahdol
| 🇸🇪: Native | 🇬🇧: Fluent | 🇯🇵: N5 |

Return to “Frågor och svar”