Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Roads and streets...

David680268
Germany

Roads and streets...

Post by David680268 »

Duo wants me to translate

"Yol buzlu, dikkat et!"

I translated "yol" as street ("The street is icy, be careful!"), but Duo only accepts "road". Someone asked about this in the sentence discussions (which appear to load again), but has not received an answer.

MustafaOuz526752

Re: Roads and streets...

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

Your translation is fine

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:12 pm

Your translation is fine

Thank you Mustafa. I thought so, but feedback from native speakers is invaluable as there are so many subtle things that can be missed or misunderstood.

@.bdllh
Netherlands

Post by @.bdllh »

DUO's translation is the right one actually,

Yol and cadde seem to be the same but there are some differences. Cadde means street and Yol means road.
"Yol" is the common word for Cadde, Sokak and etc. Cadde is the road in the centrum of a city or a town etc. The roads connecting the cities are Karayolu and we don't use Cadde for that: "Ankara yolu" means the road that goes to Ankara.. However if you say Ankara Caddesi, then it means there is a street in the city and the name of the street is Ankara Caddesi. In short, every "cadde" is a "Yol" but every "yol" is not a "cadde", it can be Bulvar, Sokak, Patika...

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

@.bdllh wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:54 pm

DUO's translation is the right one actually,

Yol and cadde seem to be the same but there are some differences. Cadde means street and Yol means road.
"Yol" is the common word for Cadde, Sokak and etc. Cadde is the road in the centrum of a city or a town etc. The roads connecting the cities are Karayolu and we don't use Cadde for that: "Ankara yolu" means the road that goes to Ankara.. However if you say Ankara Caddesi, then it means there is a street in the city and the name of the street is Ankara Caddesi. In short, every "cadde" is a "Yol" but every "yol" is not a "cadde", it can be Bulvar, Sokak, Patika...

Thank you for your explanation. The word "cadde" actually was new to me, but its meaning and the difference from "yol" is now perfectly clear.

Donkeyoaty
Turkey

Post by Donkeyoaty »

Off the point a bit, but I have noticed in residential areas the small roads are sokak and are numbered. The larger roads are cadde but are not numbered.

@.bdllh
Netherlands

Post by @.bdllh »

Being numbered or not not does not make a road either "Cadde" or "Sokak". Most of the times the numbers are used for Sokak however there are many Cadde with numbers while many Sokak having names.

Return to “Turkish”