Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Well, it happened. Duolingo changed.

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

LICA98
Finland

Re: Well, it happened. Duolingo changed.

Post by LICA98 »

water_color wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:12 pm
LICA98 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:52 pm

I use 3.106.5, it's the last one with the old design (i.e. no cartoons) and no hearts/health

(you can get it from here)

Does voice recognition work properly in this version of the app? Because before I had a problem with installing older versions of the app: voice recognition either didn't work at all (so I had to disable speaking exercises to finish the lesson, because they were always marked wrong), or it always accepted them as right even if I was saying something random instead of what I was supposed to say.

idk I've never used that feature

augustosisa
Germany

Post by augustosisa »

Sadly, today I was pushed to this new Duolingo's interface without options for oriented practices. It's for me pretty bad.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]augustosisa[/mention] The solution is here, see viewtopic.php?p=26261-well-it-happened- ... ged#p26261

And a few comments above it. I think, if you have finished the course, the graph "XP per Skill (4 weeks)" is even better than the skill tree.

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

Darvince

Post by Darvince »

It has switched to the path for me on api.duolingo.com as well. Personally, I am very against the new path because I had my own system by which I was completing the Spanish tree which tried to re-create the old system of spaced repetition that Duolingo removed, and I know Spanish well enough by now that I don't need handheld through a course. I very much don't like the current form of the mobile app, and I have used only the website almost every day, on my PC. I am considering downloading a virtual machine and running the Android Duolingo app on there.

EN Native | ES Intermediate | RU Less than A1 :lol:

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]Darvince[/mention] Yes, it is possible to finish the course with the version 3.106.5 for Android and then use the "XP per Skill (4 weeks)" graph on Duome.

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

Darvince wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:11 am

It has switched to the path for me on api.duolingo.com as well. Personally, I am very against the new path because I had my own system by which I was completing the Spanish tree which tried to re-create the old system of spaced repetition that Duolingo removed, and I know Spanish well enough by now that I don't need handheld through a course. I very much don't like the current form of the mobile app, and I have used only the website almost every day, on my PC. I am considering downloading a virtual machine and running the Android Duolingo app on there.

Yeah, the api.duolingo.com trick no longer works :( . Sadly, this is it for me. It's impossible to keep learning anything with that interface. And I tried, believe me. Good luck to all the fellow learners that are trying to navigate and work around the new changes. RIP Duolingo, it's been real.

N🇧🇬 A2:es: C1:us:
"That youngster's naturalness is impressive."Duolingo

Madness
Finland

Post by Madness »

This is one weird change, and I have very mixed feelings about it.

First of all, I have now simultaneously the old tree and the new path depending on the platform I use. On my main PC on web I have the new path, on my Android app I still have the old tree, on the Firefox mobile I have the new path, and on my new laptop on web I have the old tree. The old tree and new path don't line up. Whatever I do in the other one, does not affect the other. I also cannot do the legendary challenged on web, because I did not have time to practice far enough with the old tree! So now I have stuff on golden on the path (for about 3-4 units beyond my original progress even?), that are still on level 1-3 on the old tree. (The same with all 4 courses I have there now.)

It looks like they are still updating the path as we speak, because I just noticed they've added the pop-up for these path buttons - previously it would just launch the new lesson without explaining what it's about. So of course I can always practice those missing skills, but it's never the same because I don't get any progress from it, because DL already marked those as done for me. (This is also just my personal opinion, as seeing my visual progress as something than just XPs is what keeps me going.)

I think the good thing about all this is how it focuses on topics more widely now, but I still don't understand that level system. For example, with the Swedish tree, I used to go back to the earlier skills whenever the current ones started to feel too overwhelming, meaning, I hadn't learnt about those enough yet. But now it feels like it makes no sense and gets too difficult too fast. I haven't had time to memorize the words and I'm already given more words I don't remember learning earlier. But maybe they are in those earlier "passed" waypoints that I never did but DL still marked for me as done... I think I'll try out if Duome can help me with those skills so that I reach the point where I ACTUALLY am, skill-wise, before I continue from where the DL path thinks I'm at...

Native: 🇫🇮 | Fluent: 🇬🇧/🇺🇸 | Learning: 🇩🇪 (B1-B2), 🇸🇪 🇭🇺 🇷🇺 (Beginner or so, learning for fun and out of curiosity!)

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

Wow! The skill tree is still here: https://www-internal.duolingo.com/learn

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Thank you [mention]DaliborNovy[/mention] !
[mention]justheaven[/mention] , you may be interested in this.

Return to “Duolingo”