Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

He drinks your milk. (hu → en)

sentence bot 🤖

He drinks your milk. (hu → en)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

He drinks your milk.

hu: Megissza a tejed.

Duolingo forum topic: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/1784119

LICA98
Finland

Re: He drinks your milk. (hu → en)

Post by LICA98 »

how come both tejed and tejedet work here... is the accusative optional when there's a possessive?

MagyarJános
Hungary

Post by MagyarJános »

LICA98 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:27 pm

how come both tejed and tejedet work here... is the accusative optional when there's a possessive?

I'd like to know this, too.
I would definitely have said: Megissza a tejedet.

jzsuzsi

Post by jzsuzsi »

Optional here.
I recommend reading the Tips and Notes for the last skill in the Hungarian course.

I copy it here:

Here, you will meet possessed direct objects, objects with both a possessive and an accusative suffix. The form is that the noun is followed by the possessive marker and by the accusative marker - in that order:

• ház → ház-am → ház-am-at ‘my house (obj.)’

The accusative is fairly regular, too. Recall that for a word like alma ‘apple’, adding the accusative lengthens the final vowel:

• alma → almá-t ‘apple (obj.)’

The same happens with possessive forms ending in -a:

• ház-a ‘his/her/its house’ → ház-á-t ‘his/her/its house (obj.)’

Note that possessed direct objects (nearly) always require the definite verb form, and they often appear with a definite determiner or possessor .

Finally, if the possessor is in the first or second person singular, the accusative can sometimes be omitted:

• Add a kezed! ‘Give me your hand!’

Here, it is fairly common to just use kezed instead of kezedet. But if the possessor is in the third person this is never possible.

https://duome.eu/tips/en/hu#Possession-Object

Return to “Angol”